Felser: Armchair Bills analysts overdose on despair

Realists around here are mostly pessimists or those who haven't a clue so they take the far easier road of negativity. A select few can express their their negative bias in an intelligent manner, but most grab the "easy" way out.

What does this even mean?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Today the media ia much different so its hard to compare. The one thing I do know is that Larry was, and still is, well respected among his peers. Not sure the same can be said for Sully at this stage of his career.

It can. Tim and John have said as much here, I've heard the same from at least four other writers who regularly share the RWS pressbox with him, and I saw it in person at a conference we both attended last year.

They may not always agree with Jerry, but they do respect him -- as do the sports editors who have voted on his various New York State AP awards (in the largest circulation category, head-to-head with the guys at the NYC papers) and APSE Top-10 finishes through the years.

Ir can. Tim and John have said as much here, I've heard the same from at least four other writers who regularly share the RWS pressbox with him, and I saw it in person at a conference we both attended last year.

They may not always agree with Jerry, but they do respect him -- as do the sports editors who have voted on his various New York State AP awards (in the largest circulation category, head-to-head with the guys at the NYC papers) and APSE Top-10 finishes through the years.

I'm sure Jerry Sullivan is capable of great journalism...when he decides to use those muscles. But writing mindless slam jobs is just so easy and feeds the woe-is-us mentality that's prevalent in Buffalo. Jerry knows he could write a Pulitzer-worthy column and no one would notice. But when he blasts Ralph he gets the locals foaming at the mouth.

Same with his 'GR gig. Despite the station promos promising it, no one listening to WGR wants to hear in-depth thoughtful analysis. They want to be made angry at the horrible injustice inflicted upon them by our local sports teams and the evil greedy men who own them. After all, if the Bills and Sabres really wanted to, they could win a Cup or SB anytime. But they make more money and get more of a kick from torturing gullible fans. It's just too easy to play that card.

PTR

I'm sure Jerry Sullivan is capable of great journalism...when he decides to use those muscles. But writing mindless slam jobs is just so easy and feeds the woe-is-us mentality that's prevalent in Buffalo. Jerry knows he could write a Pulitzer-worthy column and no one would notice. But when he blasts Ralph he gets the locals foaming at the mouth.

Same with his 'GR gig. Despite the station promos promising it, no one listening to WGR wants to hear in-depth thoughtful analysis. They want to be made angry at the horrible injustice inflicted upon them by our local sports teams and the evil greedy men who own them. After all, if the Bills and Sabres really wanted to, they could win a Cup or SB anytime. But they make more money and get more of a kick from torturing gullible fans. It's just too easy to play that card.

PTR

That sums it up perfectly. Jerry's in the entertainment business, not journalism. And he knows you draw more flies with sh*t than sugar. He is very smart and very good writer but a far better self promoter and entertainer for his employers.

After Mike Malarkey, Greg Williams and Dick Jauron, what you are probably seeing is fans holding the new staff on a shorter leash. Really, after 10 years of eating bad food, is it too much to think that some patrons are ready for a new chef with a better recipe than the last three?

PTR

I dunno, exactly when did the Bills or Sabres prove Jerry Sullivan wrong? Was it that time when everyone in the media was down on them, and they snuck into steal a playoff spot? No? Oh, it must be that time they shocked the world and won a championship? No? Hmmm...it must have been that time, when they drafted all those great players in the first three rounds (Marshawn Lynch, Paul Posluszny, Trent Edwards and Dwayne Wright) and, once and for all, showed the league that they know what they are doing? No?

The higlighted statement says it all. You want Sullivan and others to tone the negativity, so that "gullible fans" (your words not mine) can psych themselves up for another disappointing season? The Bills have earned the level of gloom that surrounds them. You can't blame Sullivan, or GR55 for not allowing people to enjoy their gullibility in peace. I gurantee you, anyone who is being paid to write an editorial about the same franchise, week after week would rather find a new angle...the Bills just haven't given anyone much to work with. I was as blindly optimistic about this franchise, as anyone could be, until after the 2008 season....but just accepting the turds that the franchise serves, week after week, year after year, with a checkbook and a smile, is stupid, after awhile. The Bills haven't done anything to earn that level of trust from me, again. I hope to god they do get it right, and maybe this is the year that their fortunes start to turn...but I am not believing it until I see it.

I dunno, exactly when did the Bills or Sabres prove Jerry Sullivan wrong? Was it that time when everyone in the media was down on them, and they snuck into steal a playoff spot? No? Oh, it must be that time they shocked the world and won a championship? No? Hmmm...it must have been that time, when they drafted all those great players in the first three rounds (Marshawn Lynch, Paul Posluszny, Trent Edwards and Dwayne Wright) and, once and for all, showed the league that they know what they are doing? No?

The higlighted statement says it all. You want Sullivan and others to tone the negativity, so that "gullible fans" (your words not mine) can psych themselves up for another disappointing season? The Bills have earned the level of gloom that surrounds them. You can't blame Sullivan, or GR55 for not allowing people to enjoy their gullibility in peace. I gurantee you, anyone who is being paid to write an editorial about the same franchise, week after week would rather find a new angle...the Bills just haven't given anyone much to work with. I was as blindly optimistic about this franchise, as anyone could be, until after the 2008 season....but just accepting the turds that the franchise serves, week after week, year after year, with a checkbook and a smile, is stupid, after awhile. The Bills haven't done anything to earn that level of trust from me, again. I hope to god they do get it right, and maybe this is the year that their fortunes start to turn...but I am not believing it until I see it.

Here's my question, if the outlook is really that bleak, why are you following the team at all? I'm seriously not trying to play the "true fan" angle here, but sports are meant to be entertaining. If you can't find enjoyment in the team at all, then what do you get out of it? If the team stinks, I'd rather be able to look at their latest loss and try to find some good in it - at least enjoying some of the individual plays. Ultimately, IMO, wallowing in how bad the team is turns what should be a diverting pastime into just another negative in people's lives.

Nothing wrong with being a realist about the team's prospects, but I find myself increasingly annoyed at the idea that foolish optimism about a sports team is some sort of character flaw and needs to be brutally corrected whenever possible.

To be honest with you...in Gailey's offense, I dont think you will see much more than 3-5 step drops...

Especially with our O-Line and offensive weapons/speed...there will be no need for 7 step drops!

Well If that turns out to be the case it most certainly limits what the offense can do, if there is clearly no threat of a deep bomb and they successfully jam Spiller at the line it will be the same old crap we have witnessed for the last four years.

I HAVE A DREAM...(MLK voice) one day someone at OBD will wake up and realize that a great O line will produce a top ten offense. Build the line and keep it maintained, fill the skill positions.

Year after year this team keeps rebuilding only to fail year after year because they neglect the line, they get good guards and stop there, they get a good LT and stop there. Some &$#% scouts can't seem to find talent for the O line unless they draft them in the first or second rounds

Here's my question, if the outlook is really that bleak, why are you following the team at all? I'm seriously not trying to play the "true fan" angle here, but sports are meant to be entertaining. If you can't find enjoyment in the team at all, then what do you get out of it? If the team stinks, I'd rather be able to look at their latest loss and try to find some good in it - at least enjoying some of the individual plays. Ultimately, IMO, wallowing in how bad the team is turns what should be a diverting pastime into just another negative in people's lives.

Nothing wrong with being a realist about the team's prospects, but I find myself increasingly annoyed at the idea that foolish optimism about a sports team is some sort of character flaw and needs to be brutally corrected whenever possible.

I 100% completely (redundant I know) agree...which was my point...but the OP was lauding a marginal article written by Larry Felser, about how there is no need to be so down on the Bills, etc... and then the "I'm a better fan than you, because I believe any spin that the Bills throw at me" brigade came out. It goes both ways.

I have been a Bills fan since the day I was born, and likely will be until the day I die. I have seen, nearly every Bills game played since 1980, many before that...I do enjoy the teams moderate successes...there are few things I would give up those three hours on Sundays for, no matter how poor the team is playing. Maybe it is absurd to care so much, that you spend time on something you are pretty sure is going to turn out bad...but, that is the great thing about sports. You just never know...

I think there has been an amping up of the negativity about the Bills, the last three years or so especially, because many, as fans, can see where the team is failing before the results are in. We feel like our desire to see the team succeed is greater than that desire in those directly involved with the franchise. For them, it is a job...for us, it is a part of the fiber of our existence.

I rarely criticize players...most of my criticism falls with team ownership and management. I was even a Dick Jauron backer, for his first two seasons in Buffalo. But, there was that point when it was very clear to me (and I am sure many others) that Jauron wasn't going to make this team any better, so, we went, knowingly, through two seasons of really bad football. Everyone has their breaking point, I suppose...

I would never admonish somebody for being optimistic about the Bills...I mean it very honestly when I say that I envy those who can still get in that frame of mind...I used to be great at it. I hope to find that place again...the Bills just gotta throw a bond every now and again... Chan Gailey is starting to grow on me... still not sure about Nix... just go out and win some games, and be entertaining...that's all I am asking for.

Well If that turns out to be the case it most certainly limits what the offense can do, if there is clearly no threat of a deep bomb and they successfully jam Spiller at the line it will be the same old crap we have witnessed for the last four years.

I HAVE A DREAM...(MLK voice) one day someone at OBD will wake up and realize that a great O line will produce a top ten offense. Build the line and keep it maintained, fill the skill positions.

Year after year this team keeps rebuilding only to fail year after year because they neglect the line, they get good guards and stop there, they get a good LT and stop there. Some &$#% scouts can't seem to find talent for the O line unless they draft them in the first or second rounds

For the 100th time, I think it's almost inarguable that the team is not "neglecting" the offensive line, and the Bills problem has been only drafting the wrong players, signing the wrong free agents, and coaching those players poorly. It doesn't matter if they were 1-2-3-4-5-6-7 round draft picks, or highly paid or lowly paid free agents, the guys the Bills have brought in here were the problem, not the round or the money spent.

We drafted guys high (Mike Williams) and they sucked. We signed guys to huge contracts (Derrick Dockery, Langston Walker) and they sucked. We drafted guys in all rounds and we signed all kinds of free agents and they mostly sucked and were all coached badly.

Getting the right players is what matters, not how or where you get them.

I 100% completely (redundant I know) agree...which was my point...but the OP was lauding a marginal article written by Larry Felser, about how there is no need to be so down on the Bills, etc... and then the "I'm a better fan than you, because I believe any spin that the Bills throw at me" brigade came out. It goes both ways.

It does indeed, you're right about that, and I'm not a fan of the crowd that likes to tear down anyone who doesn't think the Bills are headed in the right direction any more than I like their counterparts in the negative camp. But when it's all said and done I'd rather read an article pumping up the potential of the latest draft picks, the possibilities for the team to turn things around, etc. etc. than yet another condemnation of the FO and ownership. I can't do anything about how the team is run, but the day I can't muster some hope for things to be different this year is the day I just quit following the team. Reading some of the posts that people make about the team, it makes me question if they derive any joy from anything, let alone the Bills.

I do wish that people on both sides would just learn to use the ignore feature if they can't disagree without being disagreeable, though.

For the 100th time, I think it's almost inarguable that the team is not "neglecting" the offensive line, and the Bills problem has been only drafting the wrong players, signing the wrong free agents, and coaching those players poorly. It doesn't matter if they were 1-2-3-4-5-6-7 round draft picks, or highly paid or lowly paid free agents, the guys the Bills have brought in here were the problem, not the round or the money spent.

We drafted guys high (Mike Williams) and they sucked. We signed guys to huge contracts (Derrick Dockery, Langston Walker) and they sucked. We drafted guys in all rounds and we signed all kinds of free agents and they mostly sucked and were all coached badly.

Getting the right players is what matters, not how or where you get them. NO ****, you made my point about someone in the org that can't judge O line talent!

Its not even close to being inarguable that the team is neglecting the O line...what planet have you been living on that you missed the pro bowl LT traded away and never replaced?

Its not even close to being inarguable that the team is neglecting the O line...what planet have you been living on that you missed the pro bowl LT traded away and never replaced?

That is not "neglecting" the offensive line, especially when you use the #1 pick you got in that trade for an offensive lineman. That is unwilling to pay 10 mil for a player you didnt think was worth 10 mil. I would have paid him myself, I wouldn't have traded him, but the example is another in an endless series of not paying or signing the right players, and not neglecting the O Line.

look people will say and think nice things about the Bills when they make the playoffs or at least aren't painful to watch- I've given the Bills a much longer leeway than I've given politicians and political parties but come on the longest non playoff streak in the NFL who the heck wants to reward that with faith- I doubt the majority of the people on this board would be that generous to their children.

To be honest with you...in Gailey's offense, I dont think you will see much more than 3-5 step drops...

Especially with our O-Line and offensive weapons/speed...there will be no need for 7 step drops!

That'd be great. 3-5 step drops and routes to get separation would be enough to make one of our QB's effective even with line question marks.

With Reed gone I can't figure out who will play slot... Johnson I guess... I am wondering if somehow Freddie Jackson might be a decent slot receiver.... Parish has the quickness but I fear for his life over the middle.

It's "off-season fever." I see it every year. There is so little going on that posters generate their own controversy by making up a scenario then going batshit over it like its real. The fact that we haven't made the playoffs is immaterial, actually, because people will always B word about what you fail to do. If we made the playoffs we'd suck because we can't get past the first round. If we won the AFC championship we'd suck because we couldn't win the Super Bowl. People in Detroit and St. Louis dream of the day they can go 7-9. It's all relative.

PTR

Incorrect, as usual. When the Bills were good, optimism and confidence reigned on this board. Because they were good. Get it? When you are good, your fans appreciate and celebrate it. Yes, there will always be some who are negative in the face of prosperity but they are very small in number. It's not immaterial that the team hasn't made the playoffs in a decade, it's proof that they have been bad and a reasonable indicator of what is to come. And no, people in Detroit don't dream of the day they can go 7-9 but if it makes you feel better about 9 losing seasons in 10 years then knock yourself out.

Incorrect, as usual. When the Bills were good, optimism and confidence reigned on this board. Because they were good. Get it? When you are good, your fans appreciate and celebrate it. Yes, there will always be some who are negative in the face of prosperity but they are very small in number. It's not immaterial that the team hasn't made the playoffs in a decade, it's proof that they have been bad and a reasonable indicator of what is to come. And no, people in Detroit don't dream of the day they can go 7-9 but if it makes you feel better about 9 losing seasons in 10 years then knock yourself out.

But your whining about it on a Bills message board is doing a whole lot to change things. :thumbsup:

Please give some more of your scouting reports about how much better of a QB that Losman is than Aaron Rodgers. :lol:

Not addressing the offense line has been problematic. And after watching Edwards get pummeled the lost couple of years with two knockouts, there has justifiably been much focus on LT. But, there have been problems on the other side of the ball as well. The Bills have never been able to fill the void of stopping the run ever since they lost Pat Williams.

When Williams left in 2004, the Bills were 7th in defense against the run.

Since then:

31st - in 2005

28th - in 2006

25th - in 2007

22nd - in 2008

30th - in 2009

Maybe switching to the 3-4 will help, but it has been clear that if you were game-planning for the Bills the last 5 years, all you had to do was run the ball.

But your whining about it on a Bills message board is doing a whole lot to change things. :thumbsup:

Please give some more of your scouting reports about how much better of a QB that Losman is than Aaron Rodgers. :lol:

Whining about what? I don't feel the Bills organization has somehow wronged me. They just aren't good. It's a point of fact. I find their ineptitude AT LEAST as funny as it is unfortunate. So I guess I don't feel the pangs of whine that are suppressed inside you(causing you to blame other Bills fans and take out your frustrations on them).

As for the Losman issue, I wasn't in favor of trading up and drafting Losman. I did think he was a better prospect than Rodgers, who I didn't like, and who still reminds me of Jim Everett. The Packers really liked Losman, so I'd say they got lucky they weren't able to get at him on draft day, even if Rodgers never reaches that next level.

Dick Jauron, on the other hand, was wanted as a HC nowhere. He had achieved 7 losing seasons in 8 attempts and you were still claiming he was the coaching equivalent of the most successful head coach of the decade.

Maybe one day you'll grow up and realize that make believe isn't going to change the fortunes of the Bills, but in the meantime just do a Promo and keep making up excuses and irrationally blaming other Bills fans for the teams failures on the field. Hell, twitter it out if you need to.