Who is the Odd Man Out

Who is the Odd man Out  

202 members have voted

1. 1. Which current Bills QB will NOT be on the Opening Day Roster?

• Trent Edwards
    • Brian Brohm
    • Ryan Fitzpatrick
    • Levi Brown
    • We will only have 2 QBs on the Roster (leave a comment on which 2)

I'm not sure I've ever seen a team carry 4 QBs on their roster during the regular season, so something has to give. We all have seen the threads about who should be the starter, what I want to know is, who are we going to drop -- I'm just trying to take the pulse of TBD at this point in the off-season.

Who do we absolutely not need? I suppose it's possible they want to try to put Levi Brown on the practice squad, but I think someone might claim him -- I think he stays on the roster as a developmental project. The other 3, I'm not so sure...

Cast your votes (I've never done a poll before, hopefully the options will show up correctly)

Who will NOT be on the opening day roster:

1. Edwards

2. Brohm

3. Fitzpatrick

4. Levi Brown

or curveball option #5. We won't keep 3 QBs, there will only be 2 QBs that make it (in which case, in your comments post which 2 get cut & why)

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Theyre's no way they carry both Fitz and Edwards past the pre-season.

Fitz is god awful. As bad as Trent was last year, Fitz was worse. He has no arm, makes horrible decisions -- but he can take a hit. Trent has a better arm, makes better decisions -- but is made of glass.

Brohm isn't going anywhere this year (his upside is too much to ignore). Neither is Brown. That means one of the two vets is going to be on the outs. My bet is that it'll be Fitz.

it's too risky to stash bad bad Levi brown on the PS.

- 7th rd picks are usally very safe on the ps

- with the bills qb situation so up in the air the ps is a great spot for levi as he learns the pro game and the bills system

- a low round rook should love to practice under gailey who is known as a great qb coach

99% likely he goes on ps and stays there the whole season, barring injury where he would become qb3

- with the bills qb situation so up in the air the ps is a great spot for levi as he learns the pro game and the bills system

- a low round rook should love to practice under gailey who is known as a great qb coach

99% likely he goes on ps and stays there the whole season, barring injury where he would become qb3

I agree with you that they could very well stash Brown on the PS and get away with it. However, I think it's the wrong move.

Think about the big picture -- and again, I'm giving the front office more faith than maybe I should after this lackluster off season -- they need to know if one of their QBs on the roster is a franchise guy. That's really what this season will be about. They aren't going to compete for a playoff spot. They know they have weaknesses on the OL and that there will be growing pains as the defense learns a new scheme.

However, they don't know if any of the QBs are "the guy".

There is more than enough film on Fitz for them to decide. If they go into the season with Trent as the number 1 and Fitz as the number 2 (or visa versa) then Brohm will be the third QB and won't get to play. Thus, they won't know anything more about his abilities because a 3rd string QB doesn't get many reps in practice.

They HAVE to clear out one of their veteran QBs just to make room for Brohm and Brown -- to see if they need to go QB early next year in the draft or not. That's why it makes ZERO sense to keep both Fitz and Trent. If they do keep both QBs it will be another sign that this front office doesn't have a clue.

Now, if this team were legit playoff contenders, then I'd be fine with them keeping a veteran backup. But since they aren't, they need to create the best opportunity to let their young QBs both gain experience AND prove whether or not they've got the goods.

Personally I want Trent over Fitz. But it doesn't really matter. So long as Brohm is the number 2 (or Brown).

I think it will be Brohm. Fitz is a viable backup for now and he has the most experience of any of the 4. I'm sure that Trent is getting his one last shot this season also. Levi is a guy they are high on and I don't see them placing him on the practice squad where he could be scooped up by another team. Unless Brohm shows a vast improvement in the mini camps and into training camp, I think he's gone. If he does improve enough I think Fitz may then be the odd man out.

Been saying all along, would not be surprised if Trent Edwards is cut or traded.

You cannot coach chickens**t.

I do not care how talented Edwards is.

The "talent" becomes meaningless if the guy refuses to use it, or chooses to use it in a limited capacity.

31 other teams weren't clamoring for his services, somehow. Still, we all hope he will surprise...

I don't think this front office or coaches really know yet either. Will be interesting to see the outcome of the competition. They aren't just fighting for the starter, but they are fighting just to be on the team.

We seem to know.

It's Fitz out in a landslide

I'm not sure I've ever seen a team carry 4 QBs on their roster during the regular season,

FYI -- New England did in '00. Bledsoe as the #1, Brady as the #4; I can't remember who was between them. Basically Bill's answer to why was that the team was so talent deficient at the time that they could get away with it.

SSDD

If they go into the season with Trent as the number 1 and Fitz as the number 2 (or visa versa) then Brohm will be the third QB and won't get to play.

i understand your logic but for now they need to keep fitz in case both edwards and brohm crap the bed. fitz is barely borderline as a regular starter, but hes definitely the most steady qb on the roster, can at least manage the game properly, and wont collapse like a younger player could

so to find out if they have their legit starter in either edwards or brohm they will name one of the two of them the starter and the other will end up qb3. that gets the 'young' starter all the pregame prep, which fitz needs less of due to his experience. then if the starter gets injured or flops they would move swap qb1&3 for the next game, leaving fitz as the backup. that way fitz can come into a game when the starter gets knocked out or sux and be prepared to give the team a chance to compete, and the team can take the next week to prepare the former qb3 to start

look at it this way, do you really want to put all your eggs in a edwards/brohm/brown battery? its quite possible all three of those guy blow monkey chunks and then youre left trying to get basket cases ready to play. since you already have fitz and can safely put brown on the ps, thats the strategy with the least risk and leaves the team better prepared in case the bottom drops out

i understand your logic but for now they need to keep fitz in case both edwards and brohm crap the bed. fitz is barely borderline as a regular starter, but hes definitely the most steady qb on the roster, can at least manage the game properly, and wont collapse like a younger player could

so to find out if they have their legit starter in either edwards or brohm they will name one of the two of them the starter and the other will end up qb3. that gets the 'young' starter all the pregame prep, which fitz needs less of due to his experience. then if the starter gets injured or flops they would move swap qb1&3 for the next game, leaving fitz as the backup. that way fitz can come into a game when the starter gets knocked out or sux and be prepared to give the team a chance to compete, and the team can take the next week to prepare the former qb3 to start

look at it this way, do you really want to put all your eggs in a edwards/brohm/brown battery? its quite possible all three of those guy blow monkey chunks and then youre left trying to get basket cases ready to play. since you already have fitz and can safely put brown on the ps, thats the strategy with the least risk and leaves the team better prepared in case the bottom drops out

I guess that's the difference how we're approaching this. For me, this team is a 5 win team. 7 if they get all the breaks. So the bottom dropping out means what? They only win 2 games? I'm fine with that if it nets them a franchise QB in the draft.

But if they win 2 games and we only get to see Fitz and Edwards play in those 16 games ... then Brohm and Brown are still unknowns and we won't know what we have at QB. However, if Fitz (or Trent) are cut and we get to see Brown/Brohm play and they show promise -- we can spend that high pick on another position.

For me, this year is all about finding out if we have a franchise QB on the roster. And, in my opinion, Fitz has proven beyond all doubts that he is NOT that guy. He's terrible. So there's no point in keeping him on the roster even if it means 2 more wins because those 2 more wins won't be the difference between playoffs or not. They'll be the difference between picking in the top 5 or the top 15.

Been saying all along, would not be surprised if Trent Edwards is cut or traded.

You cannot coach chickens**t.

I do not care how talented Edwards is.

The "talent" becomes meaningless if the guy refuses to use it, or chooses to use it in a limited capacity.

Some would call that exemplary leadership.