Who is the Odd Man Out

Who is the Odd man Out  

202 members have voted

1. 1. Which current Bills QB will NOT be on the Opening Day Roster?

• Trent Edwards
    • Brian Brohm
    • Ryan Fitzpatrick
    • Levi Brown
    • We will only have 2 QBs on the Roster (leave a comment on which 2)

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess that's the difference how we're approaching this. For me, this team is a 5 win team. 7 if they get all the breaks. So the bottom dropping out means what? They only win 2 games? I'm fine with that if it nets them a franchise QB in the draft.

But if they win 2 games and we only get to see Fitz and Edwards play in those 16 games ... then Brohm and Brown are still unknowns and we won't know what we have at QB. However, if Fitz (or Trent) are cut and we get to see Brown/Brohm play and they show promise -- we can spend that high pick on another position.

For me, this year is all about finding out if we have a franchise QB on the roster. And, in my opinion, Fitz has proven beyond all doubts that he is NOT that guy. He's terrible. So there's no point in keeping him on the roster even if it means 2 more wins because those 2 more wins won't be the difference between playoffs or not. They'll be the difference between picking in the top 5 or the top 15.

Well, I guess we should shut the door and walk off into the sunset, then.

For me, every year is about winning. What would you have a coach, the owner say? We are rebuilding, so don't strive to make plays. We are angling for a higher draft pick..somebody better than you. It will all come together some time down the road, after we rebuild...etc? I can't conceive of saying or implying such to ones' employees...

I guess that's the difference how we're approaching this. For me, this team is a 5 win team. 7 if they get all the breaks. So the bottom dropping out means what? They only win 2 games? I'm fine with that if it nets them a franchise QB in the draft.

But if they win 2 games and we only get to see Fitz and Edwards play in those 16 games ... then Brohm and Brown are still unknowns and we won't know what we have at QB. However, if Fitz (or Trent) are cut and we get to see Brown/Brohm play and they show promise -- we can spend that high pick on another position.

For me, this year is all about finding out if we have a franchise QB on the roster. And, in my opinion, Fitz has proven beyond all doubts that he is NOT that guy. He's terrible. So there's no point in keeping him on the roster even if it means 2 more wins because those 2 more wins won't be the difference between playoffs or not. They'll be the difference between picking in the top 5 or the top 15.

To me, Fitz is a very decent back-up to come in for a half or a game or two if the starter goes down. I would not at all be surprised if whoever loses in the Trent vs Brohm starter job contest is cut, and Fitz remains, with Levi being the #3. If Brohm can't beat out Trent in pre-season, I kind of see no point in keeping him. And Trent is likely to look good in practice. It may even be that because Gailey will actually create an offense around the talent of his players, that Trent's quick decision/precision short game will be good for getting the ball in Spiller and Freddy and Roscoe's hands in the open field.

Like you, however, I think we don't have a good NFL starter on our roster, and we need to find one. If Brohm surprises and plays really well, beating out Trent in training camp, I suppose he has a chance at being good.

If I had to bet, I'd say Brohm is cut. Trent is the starter and Fitz is the back-up.

Unfortunately.

I think it will be Brohm. Fitz is a viable backup for now and he has the most experience of any of the 4. I'm sure that Trent is getting his one last shot this season also. Levi is a guy they are high on and I don't see them placing him on the practice squad where he could be scooped up by another team. Unless Brohm shows a vast improvement in the mini camps and into training camp, I think he's gone. If he does improve enough I think Fitz may then be the odd man out.

Has Brohm shown anything since college? He's first off the island if he continues to stumble in TC.

I think it would be crazy to put Brown on the practice squad. I don't know if anyone else is interested but why risk it? They will cut Fitz.. at least Edwards started for more than one season.. Fitz isn't worth keeping.

Brown goes to the PS and my pure guess is that Brohm starts. He is the only one of the three remaining with unknown upside. If Fitz or Edwards has to go because of roster needs my guess is that Edwards is odd man out.

Having said all of the above I actually think if Edwards really wants the job it will be his. My gut tells me that he is not motivated to play at a high level and will not take the step forward that he has the potential for.

Well, I guess we should shut the door and walk off into the sunset, then.

For me, every year is about winning. What would you have a coach, the owner say? We are rebuilding, so don't strive to make plays. We are angling for a higher draft pick..somebody better than you. It will all come together some time down the road, after we rebuild...etc? I can't conceive of saying or implying such to ones' employees...

No, no, no. My apologies. I'm not implying that the Bills are going to try to lose. They're not. But they also have to be realistic. As do we fans. You can't win the NFL without a legit franchise QB. And right now, they don't know if one is on the roster.

Trent could be. Brohm could be. Brown could be. Fitz ... can't be. He's shown time and time again why he ISN'T the franchise QB. I understand some could say the same about Trent which is why I'm saying they can't keep both of them. They have to pick which one of those two gives them the best chance to win (I personally think it's Trent). Then cut the other one so that they can find out what they have in Brohm and Brown.

And if that results in a losing season, it's worth it IF they get a definitive answer about whether or not they have a legit franchise QB on the roster. But if they go out and win 5 games with Trent and Fitz getting all the snaps -- or worse, win 7 or 8 games and miss the playoffs -- then they'll again have no clue what they have on the roster and be left once again spinning their wheels.

The goal is to win the super bowl. Not to win 8 games. You can't win the super bowl in the modern NFL without a legit, franchise QB.

To me, Fitz is a very decent back-up to come in for a half or a game or two if the starter goes down. I would not at all be surprised if whoever loses in the Trent vs Brohm starter job contest is cut, and Fitz remains, with Levi being the #3. If Brohm can't beat out Trent in pre-season, I kind of see no point in keeping him. And Trent is likely to look good in practice. It may even be that because Gailey will actually create an offense around the talent of his players, that Trent's quick decision/precision short game will be good for getting the ball in Spiller and Freddy and Roscoe's hands in the open field.

Like you, however, I think we don't have a good NFL starter on our roster, and we need to find one. If Brohm surprises and plays really well, beating out Trent in training camp, I suppose he has a chance at being good.

If I had to bet, I'd say Brohm is cut. Trent is the starter and Fitz is the back-up.

Unfortunately.

First ... we need to catch up ASAP -- I'm still having all sorts of computer/email issues ...

Second, and more to your point, I hear what you're saying about Fitz being a good backup. And I have no problem with them keeping Fitz over Trent. But keeping both Trent and Fitz is crazy to me. Brohm (and I'd say Trent) have way more upside than Fitz. I, admitedly know nothing about Brown. If this team is trying to win (which they are) then it would make more sense to me to let Trent/Fitz/Brohm battle it out for the starting job -- and if Trent wins, keep Brohm at 2 so he gets more snaps and reps in practice ... and game experience since Trent is a walking crystal ball. What do they gain from having Fitz as the number 2 in the big picture? 1 more win? And that's assuming that Brohm is an utter failure at QB --which may well turn out to be the case.

Fitz to me was the worst starting QB in the league last year. By a mile. Keeping him as a backup (or Trent) when this team is so young and so far away from contending in the AFC East let alone the AFC is just accepting mediocrity for mediocrity's sake.

I think Fitz and Brown are locked into the #2 and #3 spots on the roster. Fitz has proven to be a good #2 and Brown as a develpmental guy. If Brohm can't beat out Trent what is the point of keeping him around, and vice versa?

exactly. and for all the 'upside' brohm supposedly has, when is it going to show up? at least trent has had some minor success despite terrible coaching and play calling. brohm hasn't been able to get on the field at all in his career except in the case of an emergency for one of the worst teams playing out a season that was over before it began.

and brohm didn't look good at all in those minicamp videos. and he obviously didnt light it up in green bay's camps either. so this is the guy everyone is rooting for? i was optimistic when we signed him, but since then brohm has done nothing for me to get excited about.

i hope i'm wrong and brohm turns out to be the next jim kelly, but realistically i think gailey knows (despite his assertions to the contrary) that it's going to be trent backed up by fitz, and brown taking it all in on the sidelines.

It's a very tough call. I think Fitz is the ideal backup QB. He knows the game, is respected, can win a game or 2, and really isn't a threat to be the long term answer.

I also think if Edwards didn't play as much as he did, he would be one of the better backups in the league and could have a Frank Reich type career. He also probably would have had some trade value if he jsut played a game or 2.

so I think it comes down to Edwards and Brohm. Whichever guys performs best in camp will probably end up starting while the other guy is searching for a new job.

I don't think the Bills FO has any illusions about having a franchise QB in this group. The 2 possible exceptions would be Brohm & Brown and it's unlikely either one will turn into a franchise QB in 1 season. I don't even expect to see Brown on the field. I think the FO is putting the other pieces of the puzzle in place and are looking for a caretaker QB who can at least occasionally throw the ball downfield, has above average accuracy and won't cost them games.

Fitz's accuracy comes & goes. When it goes, it's dreadful. Whether Edwards can get his mojo back is questionable. Brohm is an unknown. Maybe Brohm can beat out Edwards for the starting job. I don't see Fitz doing it.

I don't think the Bills FO has any illusions about having a franchise QB in this group. The 2 possible exceptions would be Brohm & Brown and it's unlikely either one will turn into a franchise QB in 1 season. I don't even expect to see Brown on the field. I think the FO is putting the other pieces of the puzzle in place and are looking for a caretaker QB who can at least occasionally throw the ball downfield, has above average accuracy and won't cost them games.

Fitz's accuracy comes & goes. When it goes, it's dreadful. Whether Edwards can get his mojo back is questionable. Brohm is an unknown. Maybe Brohm can beat out Edwards for the starting job. I don't see Fitz doing it.

Agree and I think that's what the people who knocked our draft fail to get. This was a bad QB draft yet they feel we needed to take a QB high. The Bills probably liked Brown as much as they like Clausen. If you force yourself to take a player because you need the position, you end up with Losman.

It's early but next year's QB class should be loaded and really good. If no one emerges this year, we will have a shot a QB who is probably better than any QB in this past draft.

I saw Trent practice once last year @ St. John Fisher and it was God-Almighty awful. I know, I know; Different regime, blah, blah, blah. But a leopard can't change their spots. Brohm & Brown (as it appears to me in those videos) are already out performing Trent.

As much as people dis-like the Fitz, as I do - only moderately, he could at least move the same team a "little bit". Where Trent could'nt get them to move their bowels.

Odd man out IMO: Trent Edwards

I saw Trent practice once last year @ St. John Fisher and it was God-Almighty awful. I know, I know; Different regime, blah, blah, blah. But a leopard can't change their spots. Brohm & Brown (as it appears to me in those videos) are already out performing Trent.

As much as people dis-like the Fitz, as I do - only moderately, he could at least move the same team a "little bit". Where Trent could'nt get them to move their bowels.

Odd man out IMO: Trent Edwards

Funny, when I watched him play my bowels would loosen up in a hurry.