Any wine suggestions? (semi-LAMP)

For me it was your 18th that was special (ah the good ole days). I went out with my best buddy to get hammered. He ended up with a girl and took me home early and I went to bed sober. If I remember correctly (and of course I don't) I think I made up for it the next night.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really enjoyed Anthony Road. They have a very good Red Table Wine. If you're looking for a little more fun (which I'm sure you are), try Three Brothers Winery. Not the best wine in the area, but they have bands playing on certain days and it can be a really good time.

I really enjoyed Anthony Road. They have a very good Red Table Wine. If you're looking for a little more fun (which I'm sure you are), try Three Brothers Winery. Not the best wine in the area, but they have bands playing on certain days and it can be a really good time.

The only thing I got from Anthony Road that was any good was a corkscrew. :doh:

I went to Old Main Inn in Fredonia on my 21st....did about 25 shots of kamchatka...made out with a fat girl, ate about 7 slices of pizza and woke up in a field....All in all a good night

:doh::doh: sounds like a good night. I wonder if the make out girl remembers you "when I turned 21 I made out with some drunk guy." :doh:

:doh::doh: sounds like a good night. I wonder if the make out girl remembers you "when I turned 21 I made out with some drunk guy." :doh:

We had a friend do 18 shots of Ouzo on his 18th. We "did" 18 shots right along with him. Well actually we had the bartender give us mostly shots of water. Holy **** did he get drunk.

We had a friend do 18 shots of Ouzo on his 18th. We "did" 18 shots right along with him. Well actually we had the bartender give us mostly shots of water. Holy **** did he get drunk.

My good friends did played out this exact same scenario (though with vodka shots) with me when I graduated college (ahead of them and ahead of schedule). Funny thing is that I got drunk very fast, then sick then passed out. They went on drinking. I woke up in the morning and given that little alcohol remained in my system I was fine. They were all hungover and sick. :doh:

The best Finger Lake Wineries in my opinion are:

Dr. Konstantin Frank - Was very integral in the growth of the wine industry in the Finger Lakes.

Herron Hill - Wines ok but the place is nice

Henry J. Wiemer - Great whites, small place

Red Newt - Probably the best reds in the region

I'm sure there are many others but this is what I remember from the research I did for a trip back there a couple of years ago. Will be heading back there this August with a friend I've reconnected with after 25 years.

Keep in mind you're talking the Finger Lakes. This is cold-weather grape country. The strength of this area is the Riesling grape, which, as you can tell from the spelling, ain't exactly Irish. It's the signature grape from the Rhine River Valley in Germany - again, a cold-weather grape.

I'm with the Chef. The Best of the Best is Dr. Konstantin Frank. Their Rieslings simply CRUSH THE CRAP out of ANYTHING from Germany in International blind tastings. This winery is a Gold-Medal factory for Rieslings. Truth in advertising - I've also had their Chardonnays and (believe it or not) Cabernet Sauvignons.....meh. But the Rieslings. Wow. And even better when aged a few years. At 21 years old, your palate isn't as developed as it will be in a few short years, but trust me, Sage, as an Upstate New Yorker, you're sitting on a gem here. Hammondsport kicks out the best Rieslings on the planet.

Another winner would be Ravines (as mentioned in another post). The chief vintner (?? Maybe just a senior vintner) from Dr. Konstantin Frank left that winery and started his own gig. Their Riesling is quite good, but their Cabernet Franc, and PARTICULARLY their Pinot Noir, is an undiscovered masterpiece. Once again, a cold weather grape. The New Zealanders are starting to flex their muscles in the Pinot Noir category, but watch for Ravines.

Happy Birthday, you little bastard. Take a hot chick with you.

Why are we discussing the merits of this or that wine, for a fellow who plans to get well-hammered on his birthday?

I prefer red wine, but my recommendation is 2 or 3 aspirin and a pint or more of water before bed, with 2 pins handy at the bedside. Keep the bathroom light on. And a trash bag- lined bucket or trash basket and a handy roll of paper towels or a pile of napkins to wipe up one's mug.

:doh:

Why are we discussing the merits of this or that wine, for a fellow who plans to get well-hammered on his birthday?

I prefer red wine, but my recommendation is 2 or 3 aspirin and a pint or more of water before bed, with 2 pins handy at the bedside. Keep the bathroom light on. And a trash bag- lined bucket or trash basket and a handy roll of paper towels or a pile of napkins to wipe up one's mug.

:doh:

Yes, well, all right, fair enough. This scenario is indeed the likely outcome. Not the hot chick on the winery tour in the Finger Lakes for our friend Sage. More likely the padding and hand grips on the bowl, the fleeting worry about that on which he's resting his chin as he gasps for breath through his own spittle, his one-man vomitus-fast-lane accompanied by the dreaded corn-chunks-and-rice-in-the-nostrils.

SIC is right, Sage. But remember, when you recover from your luge run into hell, the two wineries I've suggested will impress the chick more than, well, you know, what you're about to offer her. Might want to make it a different chick tonight.

Yes, well, all right, fair enough. This scenario is indeed the likely outcome. Not the hot chick on the winery tour in the Finger Lakes for our friend Sage. More likely the padding and hand grips on the bowl, the fleeting worry about that on which he's resting his chin as he gasps for breath through his own spittle, his one-man vomitus-fast-lane accompanied by the dreaded corn-chunks-and-rice-in-the-nostrils.

SIC is right, Sage. But remember, when you recover from your luge run into hell, the two wineries I've suggested will impress the chick more than, well, you know, what you're about to offer her. Might want to make it a different chick tonight.

You have a good pen in hand, my friend. The phrase "luge run into h*ll" is very descriptive. :doh:

May I recommend:

The Oxford Book of Humorous Prose: From William Caxton to P. G. Wodehouse, Frank Muir, Oxford University Press NY, Toronto, et al, ISBN 0-19-214106-06. Out of AFAIK original print but available:

Get ye a copy. You will treasure it...

Roofie Colada :doh: But I enjoyed the hell out of Little Penguin Merlot.

And my 21st was the actual September 11th. Kinda of a buzz kill. But the next year I took out my frustrations on a cute Pakistani girl while listening to the bar play "Proud to be an American" like 700 times.

Barolo

Malbec

Six Grapes Port

Cliquot, or a Cava if that is more within your budget

Oh yeah, Happy !@#$ing birthday!

Pete is looking to go to a NYS (Finger Lakes) winery. I don't think he's going to find any of this being made at a local winery.

holy crap! I was that 'fat girl'...why didn't you ever call me????? oh wait...this isnt the IM section is it....god i don't remember the old main days....hell i barely remember my journey back up there 2 weeks ago.....

I went to Old Main Inn in Fredonia on my 21st....did about 25 shots of kamchatka...made out with a fat girl, ate about 7 slices of pizza and woke up in a field....All in all a good night