New York Jets

just like the new yankee stadium, the people that can afford to go aren't the ones who get blackout drunk and rowdy. it's boring the crazy fans at games are the best part of most games sometimes, especially at the Bills.

J-E-T-S SUCK SUCK SUCK

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem with what you say is that the NFL is a legal monopoly. While you can argue they "compete" for entertainment dollars the reality is that their pricing structure does not face the ravages of a true market. Personally I hope the Jests black out all of their games. Wouldn't that be a nice turn of events for the league to deal with - largest TV market in the country has half of their season blacked out.

I don't have to "argue" this--it is actually true. That's the point of this story.

The Jets "pricing structure" IS facing the ravages of the true market---that's what this topic is about: at the current price, they can't sell the seats.

Geez, in the same market--hell, in the same building, the Giants have had no such trouble because their tickets are appropriately priced.

Come on!

just like the new yankee stadium, the people that can afford to go aren't the ones who get blackout drunk and rowdy. it's boring the crazy fans at games are the best part of most games sometimes, especially at the Bills.

J-E-T-S SUCK SUCK SUCK

there is no greater fan of drinking after lunch than i. :doh:

Here's a simple rule of business: Don't piss off your customers. Make them happy.

This PSL garbage is going to bite them in the ass. You have a decades long waiting list which you've now blown through? Say bye-bye to your demand. And, from that article, it appears the Jets were price gouging compared to what the Giants were asking for.

That's a good point about the fans and seating - and we can see the difference in our Canadian games - there is no home field advantage - and that could be the detriment to the corporate seat purchasing. I've come close over the last four or five years to stopping watching the NFL simply because it is so glaringly business first. The players are greedy, the owners are greedy - the idea it is non-profit is absurd. Sure, I love watching football and pro athletes deserve to get a good wage - but, to make 100 million dollars over eight to ten years is insanity. Nurses, police, firemen, Military - it's when you look at jobs like those, people risking their lives, and what these people earn and contrast that to the NFL - And then you've got players like Jason Peters - whining about "got to take care of my family (like a few million wouldn't give any family in Buffalo a good life) - that almost pushed me too far to watch - the thought that these guys wouldn't even really care about making the playoffs as long as they get their money - in the end that was what Jauron stood for - pay without expectations or responsibility.

That's what I like about Gailey - he expects and demands it of himself, and his players, to win. He and Nix just look like they care about nothing else but football and winning. They are no nonsense - and from what we've heard, this team will be much more accountable henceforth.

• 4 weeks later...
I would NEVER pay a PSL.....what's next Beer PSL? You need to pay a onetime $1000 fee for the right to buy $9 beers?

There would never be a beer PSL. That is to blatant of a rip off. But there could be a urinal PSL. :)

Exactly. Those PSL seats will be sold one way or another. In fact it wouldn't surprise me if the add the prorated cost of the PSL to each ticket.

But this begs a question about the Bills: What would you do if building a new stadium guaranteed the Bills would stay but the only way it gets built is if the Bills charge season ticket holders for PSL's?

That's a tough one. If it were $2-3 Grand, and if I could spread the payments out, I might do it. What's wrong with most PSL's is the money goes right to the team's pocket. That's just wrong.

Here's what I would propose: Instead of a PSL, each season ticket owner would loan the money to the Bills to build a new stadium. So over a period of time, 10-20 years, you would get your money back, or you would get a reduction in ticket prices equal to your loan amount. What do you think?

PTR

The NFL has enough money to build their own stadiums. They don't need to gouge their customers. How much did the league give the Jet/Giants toward this stadium?

Gotta love it. Take hundreds of millions of taxpayer dollars to fund the stadiums, then add PSL's and jack up ticket, parking, and concession prices.

The Giant/Jet stadium was not payed with taxpayer money. It was payed for by the two teams. They borrowed from a NFL stadium fund which allowed them to finance the stadium at a lower interest rate. Of course the clown owner for the bills, Ralph, voted against it, because he is insanely jealous. He felt that if they were able to build a stadium which generated more revenue his costs would also go up. There also was an argument made against the Jets and the Giants being able to combine their individual maximum borrowing limits. If two teams are playing in the same stadium and both are sharing the costs of building the stadium then I don't understand how it is unfair for them to combine their borrowing limits.

I am well aware that even if taxpayer money is not going toward the building of a stadium there are still some infrastructure costs associated with such a large construction project. But in general the two teams paid for the stadium themselves, unlike Ralph Wilson who had a stadium built for him and remodeled for him.

The season is still months away, but is the NFL really prepared going to let games be blacked out in its biggest market because of an owner's greed? Wow.

This is the owner's call. He owns the team, the seats, etc, and can sell at whatever price he wants. AND, if that means a blackout in NYC....who cares, certainly not me. And, I expect that will happen again in Buffalo at some date, us grey heads remember that blackouts occured in Buffalo back in the Kelly era. But, I am a capalist at heart....that Woody guy can do what he wants...and stupid is not against the law.

Exactly. Those PSL seats will be sold one way or another. In fact it wouldn't surprise me if the add the prorated cost of the PSL to each ticket.

But this begs a question about the Bills: What would you do if building a new stadium guaranteed the Bills would stay but the only way it gets built is if the Bills charge season ticket holders for PSL's?

That's a tough one. If it were $2-3 Grand, and if I could spread the payments out, I might do it. What's wrong with most PSL's is the money goes right to the team's pocket. That's just wrong.

Here's what I would propose: Instead of a PSL, each season ticket owner would loan the money to the Bills to build a new stadium. So over a period of time, 10-20 years, you would get your money back, or you would get a reduction in ticket prices equal to your loan amount. What do you think?

PTR

You just described the process of selling bonds. I could be persuaded it was a good idea, but of course that is exactly how localities finance stadiums....

The Giant/Jet stadium was not payed with taxpayer money. It was payed for by the two teams. They borrowed from a NFL stadium fund which allowed them to finance the stadium at a lower interest rate. Of course the clown owner for the bills, Ralph, voted against it, because he is insanely jealous. He felt that if they were able to build a stadium which generated more revenue his costs would also go up. There also was an argument made against the Jets and the Giants being able to combine their individual maximum borrowing limits. If two teams are playing in the same stadium and both are sharing the costs of building the stadium then I don't understand how it is unfair for them to combine their borrowing limits.

I am well aware that even if taxpayer money is not going toward the building of a stadium there are still some infrastructure costs associated with such a large construction project. But in general the two teams paid for the stadium themselves, unlike Ralph Wilson who had a stadium built for him and remodeled for him.

True, the Giants/Jets stadium doesn't use taxpayer money. My statement was more directed to the dozen or so other new stadiums that used taxpayer money and then significantly jacked-up prices to price-out the average fan. The taxpayer money used for those was well in excess of the money it took to build RWS. And I don't hear Bills fans complaining about ridiculous PSL fees, on top of ticket and concession prices.

True, the Giants/Jets stadium doesn't use taxpayer money. My statement was more directed to the dozen or so other new stadiums that used taxpayer money and then significantly jacked-up prices to price-out the average fan. The taxpayer money used for those was well in excess of the money it took to build RWS. And I don't hear Bills fans complaining about ridiculous PSL fees, on top of ticket and concession prices.

The stadiums of today are much more expensive than the type of spartan stadium Erie County built in 1973. The stadium cost was $23 million. The cost for sophisticated video screens in the newer stadiums cost more than what it took to build Ralph Wilson stadium.

This is a different economic and political era. From now on you are not going to see many new publicly financed facilities. Even in the stadiums built with some public funds the team owners are making significant contributions to the cost of construction. Jerry Jones got help from the public localities but he is responsible for at least 75% of the costs.

As far as the Bills' fans not having to pay PSLs and having reasonable ticket prices and concessions my view is that they are paying too much for a garbage product. When the Bills become more entertaining and competitive on the field I would support a reasonable price increase.