Which QB will be best at hitting an accurate long ball?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest dog14787
The Bills have a lot of speed at wide out with Evans, Easley, Jackson Parrish, even Hardy was fast for his size coming out of college. Which Buffalo QB will do best at hitting his WR in stride down the field?

Glove wearing Mary

Hardy at 6'5 ran a 4.46 at the combine

Translation: if he is ever matched up 1 on 1 with an offensive lineman defending him, he'll be able to run right past him.

A couple of notes: Combine 40 time was before the docs put the rusty screws in his shredded knee. Where it counts, on the field, Hardy couldn't get separation from anyone; he was useless and defenses took him out of the game entirely with a backup defensive back with no help. Trying to sell Hardly as a speed merchant is ejected out of hand as a false start.

The Bills have a lot of speed at wide out with Evans, Easley, Jackson Parrish, even Hardy was fast for his size coming out of college. Which Buffalo QB will do best at hitting his WR in stride down the field?

Actually hitting the long ball is a mistake with the mistake of OL that we have right now....This line has no chance to protect the QB to stay in the pocket and make the throw. The team would be better of hitting on the intermediate 10 to 15 yards....That is where we have suffered....Parrish has actually been a disappointment on the slot....The slot guy like aWes Welker should be able to take a quick strike and move the chains by 7 yards....THe bills have not been able to use Parrish in this form....It is the equivalent of a running game....

To answer the question - Fitzpatrick is way too inaccurate to be a pro QB. Trent has shown average ability with the long ball. We don't know much about Brohm and Brown but Brown was reported as having a nice deep ball in the first practice this past weekend. I think Brown will prove to have the best arm of the bunch.

Now, there was just a post about not having enough time to throw a deep route anyway - and I wonder, if we were to get Gaither, then all of a sudden our line goes from bad to good - potentially really good. If we got Gaither, I'd love to see Wood moved to center. That would be one formidable left side - Gaither, Levitre, Wood, ?, and Wang? If Wang can play RT, or Bell, or whomever. I think Wood, healthy, would be just what we need against the Nose tackles in our division.

Translation: if he is ever matched up 1 on 1 with an offensive lineman defending him, he'll be able to run right past him.

A couple of notes: Combine 40 time was before the docs put the rusty screws in his shredded knee. Where it counts, on the field, Hardy couldn't get separation from anyone; he was useless and defenses took him out of the game entirely with a backup defensive back with no help. Trying to sell Hardly as a speed merchant is ejected out of hand as a false start.

I think you're giving up on him too soon. He hasn't seen a lot of playing time, and I do recall a preseason game where as a rookie he took one deep from Losman. I wouldn't bet the rent on him, but if he finds his comfort zone he has the physical tools to dominate.

To answer OPs ? I'd have to assume Brohm just b/c Fitz and TE only have average arm strength.

I can still picture the days of Losman throwing the long ball and that was about it really. The long balls and the dump offs are the easy one. The mid range twenty yard outs and ten yard hooks and those kind of passes between the levels are the difficult ones. I am not saying that the long ball is important because just doing it, even when it is incomplete, at least shows the defense that you are willing. The long ball is more about confidence that accuracy. The receivers have more room for adjustment.

To answer the question - Fitzpatrick is way too inaccurate to be a pro QB. Trent has shown average ability with the long ball. We don't know much about Brohm and Brown but Brown was reported as having a nice deep ball in the first practice this past weekend. I think Brown will prove to have the best arm of the bunch.

Now, there was just a post about not having enough time to throw a deep route anyway - and I wonder, if we were to get Gaither, then all of a sudden our line goes from bad to good - potentially really good. If we got Gaither, I'd love to see Wood moved to center. That would be one formidable left side - Gaither, Levitre, Wood, ?, and Wang? If Wang can play RT, or Bell, or whomever. I think Wood, healthy, would be just what we need against the Nose tackles in our division.

Actually, the reports abotu the pretty deep ball this week are about Brohm and not Brown as much...people need to go back and read the reports. I keep seeing people on here quoting statements in the reports about Brohm as if they are about Brown.

Brohm thus far seems to be poised for the better deep ball, but honestly, its way too early to tell and the deep ball is overraed anyway. The deep ball is as over rates as the super long drive in golf. Yeah, it can be big in the few occassions they occur, but the bread and butter is the medium and short game...

Trent and Fitz have shown to be very poor at the medium game and that is where I think Brohms accuracy and lively arm will seperate himself from the 3...

:thumbsup: Hardy is fast for a turtle, I guess, but c'mon...

4.46 - 40 yd dash & 6' 5" tall kind of gives him a slight advantage DON'T YOU THINK ???? Don't know what you were watching while he was playing but it wasn't Hardy !!

Actually, the reports abotu the pretty deep ball this week are about Brohm and not Brown as much...people need to go back and read the reports. I keep seeing people on here quoting statements in the reports about Brohm as if they are about Brown.

Brohm thus far seems to be poised for the better deep ball, but honestly, its way too early to tell and the deep ball is overraed anyway. The deep ball is as over rates as the super long drive in golf. Yeah, it can be big in the few occassions they occur, but the bread and butter is the medium and short game...

Trent and Fitz have shown to be very poor at the medium game and that is where I think Brohms accuracy and lively arm will seperate himself from the 3...

Day 1

At quarterback Brohm was accurate for the most part and threw mostly short to intermediate range passes. Brown tried to stretch the field more and throws a nice looking long ball. His arm looked lively in the first practice session.

Day 2

Brian Brohm dialed up a deep ball down the far sideline early in 7-on-7 hitting Felton Huggins in stride for a 40-yard pass play.

Day 3

Other highlights at practice included receiver Felton Huggins, who was working the middle of the field well Sunday. He caught a pass deep over the middle from Levi Brown in 7-on-7 and followed it up with another during 11-on-11 from Brian Brohm.

Brohm had some references in the reports as having thrown a long pass, the rest were attributed to Brown. I really like Brohm and hope he steps up to the challenge, but your claim regarding he's being quoted in the reports as throwing long more than Brown just don't hold water.