Stanley Cup or Super Bowl in Buffalo 1st?

WNY

I'm very new to this board and I'm on it religiously. I'm born and raised in Springville, NY , I'am 34 years old and I live in AZ, and love the Buffalo Bills. I figured I would add something different and something i think about every year. What would you like to see come to Buffalo first, a Stanley Cup or a Super bowl? I personally would like to see a Stanley Cup come to Buffalo 1st. I believe it's a more difficult feat to achieve. Thought?

I'm very new to this board and I'm on it religiously. I'm born and raised in Springville, NY , I'am 34 years old and I live in AZ, and love the Buffalo Bills. I figured I would add something different and something i think about every year. What would you like to see come to Buffalo first, a Stanley Cup or a Super bowl? I personally would like to see a Stanley Cup come to Buffalo 1st. I believe it's a more difficult feat to achieve. Thought?

I think the year was 1974 73 something like that and it was when they were tearing up Main St to put rapid transit in and there was a sign that said something like and I'm paraphrasing "First the Stanley Cup, then the NBA Championship and finally the Super Bowl!" Now here we are some 36 years later still waiting.

I agree with you that the Stanley Cup is harder to obtain. The Stanley Cup playoffs are such a grueling task and the Sabres don't seem to have the type of players up to that task. Still, I'd rather see a Buffalo Super Bowl victory simply because of the devastation still felt after the four straight losses.

The Sabres have made the playoffs more recently than the Bills. Based off that, the Sabres are closer to a championship. The Sabres need to add fewer pieces than the Bills to achieve it. At this stage, Buffalo is more likely to see a Stanley Cup.

Superbowl.

Bills have shown they know how to win a championship (2 AFL).

The Stanley Cup maybe harder to achieve, but it's hard to appreciate a "championship" when more than half the league can make the playoffs.

Interesting topic. Personally I think a SB is much more impressive, because they don't play a series of games during the playoffs. In the NHL, you can have a bad game and still win it all. I would prefer to see a SB victory, just because I'm far more passionate for the game than I am for hockey, but in reality, I think a Stanley Cup is more likely at this point.

They had a chance to compete for Lord Stanley's Cup when they had Danny B & Chris Drury but due to some ones major ignorance they let both of them go :nana: & now here we are . The last year they were with the team was when they won the Presidents cup i believe and they were like one , maybe two players tops away from the cup !! :thumbsup: So close yet so far away !!! I would just love it if with all the changes & infusion of new talent if Chan could take us there year one with youthful enthusiasm & a little luck , wouldn't that be a Rindercella story for the ages , ah but i here reality calling !! :w00t:

I think the year was 1974 73 something like that and it was when they were tearing up Main St to put rapid transit in and there was a sign that said something like and I'm paraphrasing "First the Stanley Cup, then the NBA Championship and finally the Super Bowl!" Now here we are some 36 years later still waiting.

I don't doubt that you saw the sign, but the Braves and metro construction didn't coexist. (Braves left in May 1978; metro construction began that summer).

I'll take a Stanley Cup first, followed by a Lombardi Trophy the following February.

SB- the long term viability of the franchise is in question and winning a SB would go a long way in keeping the team/eventually finding new owners as well as stadium financing. That and I am a Habs fan. I know it doesn't make sense, but when the Habs are out I cheer for the Sabres so take it easy on me.

I don't doubt that you saw the sign, but the Braves and metro construction didn't coexist. (Braves left in May 1978; metro construction began that summer).

I'll take a Stanley Cup first, followed by a Lombardi Trophy the following February.

Maybe it was 78 then minus NBA crown

easy answer, the super bowl. while i am a huge buffalo sports fan, a super bowl victory dwarfs a stanley cup championship. i want both, but feel the bills are on the right track, the sabres frustrate me with their attitude. larry quinn and co should be gone, they have played the sabre fan base as stooges long enough. ruff and regier entering year 14!, are you kidding me?, any other city would have run them out long ago, cannot understand the free pass ruff and the sabres get.

Stanley Cup. Absolutely the coolest trophy in sport. Is there any other sport where every player from the winning team has their name engraved on it?

That said, if the Bills won a SB first, I wouldn't complain.... Just one before I die.

Umm...why?

People on here B word about how, in the NFL, a division winner gets to host a playoff game vs a wild card team even though the wild card team has a better record.

I'll take that over the possibility of a team that cannot even produce a winning record during the regular season having the chance to win the "championship".

I have one of those superstitious feelings that we will win them both in the same year, and never touch the hardware again. Just our luck...

Oh and the Stanley cup is a cooler trophy, but the team's don't get to keep it (do they?) whereas some teams have a collection of Lombardis

Either one before I'm dead would be nice. Of course, by then we might not have either team here in WNY, so who knows. That said, I think the Sabres are closer to winning a championship than the Bills. Though if I were forced to pick, I'd say winning the Cup would be the bigger achievement for Buffalo sports.

I agree with you that the Stanley Cup is harder to obtain. The Stanley Cup playoffs are such a grueling task and the Sabres don't seem to have the type of players up to that task. Still, I'd rather see a Buffalo Super Bowl victory simply because of the devastation still felt after the four straight losses.

I think a Stanley Cup is way easier to win. Half of the teams make it and all the playoffs do is prove how worthless the regular season is. 8th place team routinely win series.

I'd be happy with either but a Super Bowl would mean so much more. I grew up loving hockey but it's small potatoes. As dumb as it, a SB victoyry would change how a lot of people in the nation look at Buffalo. Also, SB champs don't move so we could end that annoying talk once and for all.

Super Bowl, without doubt in my mind. I love the Sabres and would be thrilled with a Stanley Cup, but I have an emotional connection to the Bills much more for whatever reason. Bringing a Super Bowl trophy to Buffalo would be absolutely incredible. It would mean so much to this city. I can only imagine what the weeks following it would be like around WNY.