SCHOUMAN: I don't get it. Help me.

why beacause he got hurt? and a 250 lb te cant get hurt? if weight, or lack there of, is your logic for this assumption, I think you need to come up with something better.

Dude... if you're familiar with me, you know I'm all about reality.

There are 3 tight ends in the NFL universe that are 235 lbs. or under... Schouman, at 223 lbs. is the smallest tight end in the league. In 3 years he's played in 21 games and manage to catch 27 passes and only one TD.

Do 250 lb. TEs get hurt? You betcha. But 223 lb. TEs have no chance.... they'll get busted up. That's reality. DEs run 250-310 and OLBs run 235-275. Schouman is going to lose that blocking matchup 95% of the time or more. So, if Shouman remains at TE and sees any significant playing time at that positon, he will be injured again this year and out for a lengthy period, if not, the season. I'm not being a jerk about this because I hate to see any player injured, mid sized vehicles colliding with full size trucks are no match.

Thus... my original post and question, that seems totally avoided or lost in all of the conversation, is whether or not the Bills (knowing that he won't hold up at TE @223 lbs.) have plans to move him outside to WR, and if so, can he make an impact there.

There are 3 tight ends in the NFL universe that are 235 lbs. or under... Schouman, at 223 lbs. is the smallest tight end in the league. In 3 years he's played in 21 games and manage to catch 27 passes and only one TD.

Do 250 lb. TEs get hurt? You betcha. But 223 lb. TEs have no chance.... they'll get busted up. That's reality. DEs run 250-310 and OLBs run 235-275. Schouman is going to lose that blocking matchup 95% of the time or more. So, if Shouman remains at TE and sees any significant playing time at that positon, he will be injured again this year and out for a lengthy period, if not, the season. I'm not being a jerk about this because I hate to see any player injured, mid sized vehicles colliding with full size trucks are no match.

Thus... my original post and question, that seems totally avoided or lost in all of the conversation, is whether or not the Bills (knowing that he won't hold up at TE @223 lbs.) have plans to move him outside to WR, and if so, can he make an impact there.

It could be interesting to see him in the slot where he could use his size advantage against presumably smaller dbs or athletecism against bigger slower LBs.

You are exactly right, and I thought he showed signs of being a very good blocker. I think Nelson's going to be a nice receiving tight end and a good enough blocker to stay on the field during running plays. The notion Nelson can't block anybody is simply not true, go watch the games again.

The guys that are complaining about our pass catching tight ends are the same ones complaining when we had just run blocking tight ends. They can't be satisfied.

:thumbsup: One of the ongoing problems of this board is that a significant percentage of those who post attacks on Bills' players don't watch the games ... I sometimes wonder if they even listen to them.

Nelson when healthy was beginning to be very productive and national publications (if I recall ... no link) were saying that the Bills' getting him was a steal, "Pick Analysis: Nelson was one of the highest-rated tight ends in the draft and unexpectedly slipped to the fourth round. He has great size and catching ability but will need to work on his blocking. The Bills were looking for a tight end, and he will fill an immediate need." He was outstanding at the combine

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/shawn-nelson?id=71413 although that doesn't necessarily mean that much ..

Does anyone remember where bills brass were talking about how they were void of PLAYMAKERS?

Now go back and look at the film......prior to being injured Shouman was actually MAKING PLAYS

Do we have a need of a legit blocking TE? Yes but we have need of guys who can actually make a play more......

This team needs guys who can make something happen with the ball......and a two TE set of Nelson and Shoeman gives you guys on the field who can stretch the field but are also better blockers then your average receivers.......which means the offense is more potent even in the running game........

How many RBs run over 250? How often do you see them blocking these DE and OLB your saying can't be blocked by a tight end before they get a running start? You assumption is ridiculous. Ladian Tomlinson is one of the better backs at picking up rushers and so was Thurman. Hines Ward blows up rushing LBs and breaks there face. Its about leverage and will not about what you weigh in at. And as for the absurd assertion that Schouman might be moved to wr, seriously? Your wondering why no one s commenting on this?

It could be interesting to see him in the slot where he could use his size advantage against presumably smaller dbs or athletecism against bigger slower LBs.

They have used him in the slot or flexed already. It was a big part of AVPs offense, and one of the parts that produced more often then not. Schouman was out to a good start last year before getting his knee tore up on a freak accident.

Shouman was quickly becoming TE's favorite target, between Shouman and Nelson the TE position will go from one of our weaknesses to one of our strengths, especially when playing a more smash mouth type football.

The TE position in Buffalo has been a weakness for way to long.

We are not playing "smash mouth" football. That is why we drafted a RB with sub 4.3 speed. There is no reason to think that Schouman is going to last past week 3 before landing on IR. Neither Freddie nor CJ will ever be mistaken for Jamaal Lewis in his prime. Assuming Lynch is even still on the team come opening day, he will be lucky to get more than 7 carries a game. We are more likley to run a spread than we are a plodding, dive, dive, punt "smash mouth" game.

Schouman is not going to play WR. He ran the 40 in 4.74 at the combine which was several severe injuries ago. That is a doable time for a TE, if just barely. I doubt there is a WR in the league who is that slow. Jason Witten runs the 40 in 4.75 but weighs 264 lbs. That is 41 freaking pounds heavier and just as fast. I think the money they threw at Derek is inexplicable.

We are not playing "smash mouth" football. That is why we drafted a RB with sub 4.3 speed. There is no reason to think that Schouman is going to last past week 3 before landing on IR. Neither Freddie nor CJ will ever be mistaken for Jamaal Lewis in his prime. Assuming Lynch is even still on the team come opening day, he will be lucky to get more than 7 carries a game. We are more likley to run a spread than we are a plodding, dive, dive, punt "smash mouth" game.

and If I am not mistaken the concept of the "Spread" formation is just that......spread out the defense.....force defenders to have to account for more of the field....and let your running backs run underneath that in space and allow them a chance to make someone miss rather then move a pile.......

I trust Gan in this he has been successfull in other places. I am just wondering if he thinks Trent Edwards is the QB to make this work or if he thinks Brohm has what it takes.

I'm not so sure Schouman remains at his rookie playing weight of 223, but he's certainly not playing at 250 either.

Not having a superior blocking TE is another issue with the offense and more specifically the OL. There is no OT on this roster that can be left alone, so they'll need to have more size at the TE position.

Schouman is not going to play WR. He ran the 40 in 4.74 at the combine which was several severe injuries ago. That is a doable time for a TE, if just barely. I doubt there is a WR in the league who is that slow. Jason Witten runs the 40 in 4.75 but weighs 264 lbs. That is 41 freaking pounds heavier and just as fast. I think the money they threw at Derek is inexplicable.

Curiously despite the poor 40, was near or at tops in shuttle, jumping and cones as well as bench. Not sure what you do with a 223 lb slow, agile, strong for his size guy...

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2007/5/11/9342/72792

Yea I guess Shannon Sharpe couldn't be a good TE either because he was only 6'2 228lbs

Schouman is tendered at $1.68M and 2nd round compensation. WTF? What has he done to deserve that consideration? Obviously he's highly thought of to do that

But, not only has he demonstrated that he's as brittle as ribbon candy...at least playing inside. At 6'2" and 223 lbs., no way he can physically survive at TE in this league. No freakin way. He's got to be the lightest TE in the league.

Surely the Bills don't believe he's a TE, do they? Do they have plans to move him outside to WR, perhaps. Based on Nix and Gailey's comments on their size preferences at wr, Schouman would fit their model. If he has enough speed and quickness to move outside, he'd be a formidable blocking wr and maybe even a good possession type wr.

What other explanation could there be than he's moving outside?

I doubt he would be moved outside to a WR, I don't think he is nearly fast enough.

However, I certainly think that he could add 10-15 lbs. and play a FB/H-Back type of role like Chris Cooley.

I don't get it either. Robert Royal was more productive than Schouman which is all one needs to know.

Oh no he didn't.

He did not just mention Robert Royal's football contributions in a positive manner.