Buddy Offers Some Insight On the QBs

yungmack

Interesting article on why Nix is sticking with the QBs he has. Here's the link:

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-3...7c-ed175fc43900

And here's a small excerpt from it:

“Here’s the way we looked at it,” said Nix. “We’ve got guys physically that can do anything as well as anybody in the draft physically. Throw the ball well, make all the throws, mobile, can move around and are smart. We’ve got guys like that. Now obviously they’ve been kind of inconsistent and up and down, but there are a lot of reasons for that.”

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting article on why Nix is sticking with the QBs he has. Here's the link:

“Here’s the way we looked at it,” said Nix. “We’ve got guys physically that can do anything as well as anybody in the draft physically. Throw the ball well, make all the throws, mobile, can move around and are smart. We’ve got guys like that. Now obviously they’ve been kind of inconsistent and up and down, but there are a lot of reasons for that.”

Thats what i have been stating all along! See what we have first draft other areas of need get a project Qb in the later rounds and thats what they did!

And there is truth in what Nix said, even though a lot of posters here are ready to throw all 3 returning QB's under the bus...fully loaded dump truck.

Regardless, unless there is a trade before the season is underway, we have the 3 returning QB's + Brown.

And I, for one, am fed up with all the continual bitching about it, from people who have yet to see one play, one throw or one snap of the ball from this year's team.

Don't like it? Too bad, because that's the way it is.

Like it? Good, because that's the way it is.

Don't care? That's still the way it is.

And there is truth in what Nix said, even though a lot of posters here are ready to throw all 3 returning QB's under the bus...fully loaded dump truck.

Regardless, unless there is a trade before the season is underway, we have the 3 returning QB's + Brown.

And I, for one, am fed up with all the continual bitching about it, from people who have yet to see one play, one throw or one snap of the ball from this year's team.

Don't like it? Too bad, because that's the way it is.

Like it? Good, because that's the way it is.

Don't care? That's still the way it is.

Well you can't say it's not warranted bitching.

Fitz is awful. As he showed time and time again. If he's the starter then goodnight. Edwards has potential still, but he's made of glass and hasn't proven he can make it through a full season without missing time -- kind of an important factor when looking for a franchise QB. No one knows about Brohm yet, so he's an unknown. Same with Brown.

For now I am more concerned about the OT's both left and right. I am far more concerned that the Bills did not or felt they could not get a tackle earlier in the draft. Perhaps Bell is the real deal at LT but until this question is answered in addition who gets the right side then the QB situation almost doesn't matter. No QB can throw if they are on the ground and absent Fran Tarkington and Doug Flutie not many can improvise on the run.

That's just Nix's way of saying the previous regime couldn't game plan themselves out of a paper bag on offense. not a shock to us. If he's willing to give these guys another shot because of the Pop-Gun era then I guess I'm open to it too.

And if this fails and we end up with a shot at Locker, etc...then I guess it's a pretty low-risk win/win?

WHAT ABOUT THE FREAKIN' LEFT TACKLE

He touched on that a little bit here if you read between the lines...

"The offensive coordinator getting fired two weeks before the season starts, your left tackle is cut with a week to go before the first game,” said Nix. “Alex Van Pelt is one of my favorite people and he’s a good football coach, but he was a guy that had not been a coordinator or called plays or coached quarterbacks and he was forced to do all three… within a week. It was formula for disaster and a lot of it (the quarterback) couldn’t control, but it all happened. Everybody wants to put it on the quarterback and try to make a change."

Maybe having an OC that's been an OC a coach that knows what Offense looks like, a LT that's not bumped from second to first string right before season's start, as well as a good running game and play calling could help with the o-line situation.

He also mentions Physical capability (twice), which i can only interpret to mean he might think they can coach in a little mental toughness into the equation and fix it...

That's just Nix's way of saying the previous regime couldn't game plan themselves out of a paper bag on offense. not a shock to us. If he's willing to give these guys another shot because of the Pop-Gun era then I guess I'm open to it too.

And if this fails and we end up with a shot at Locker, etc...then I guess it's a pretty low-risk win/win?

I agree with you ... but what if the QB and OL are just good enough to eek out 6 or 7 wins. That would be disasterous for this franchise, I honestly believe that. It would not only put the Bills out of position to get one of the top 4 QB prospects (assumming they all hold up -- which is a crap shoot), but ir would also give people reason to think that they already have a good enough QB to win if they just get the rest of the pieces right.

That to me is what is scary.

Of course, this argument only really applies if it's Trent leading teh team (which is what I think will happen) or Fitz. If Brohm or Brown lead the team to 6 or 7 wins then they'd have a point.

For now I am more concerned about the OT's both left and right. I am far more concerned that the Bills did not or felt they could not get a tackle earlier in the draft. Perhaps Bell is the real deal at LT but until this question is answered in addition who gets the right side then the QB situation almost doesn't matter. No QB can throw if they are on the ground and absent Fran Tarkington and Doug Flutie not many can improvise on the run.

They thought Bell was the answer last year too. I Don't understand it. I heard Modrak actually say he was one of our best. To me the guy with the most potential to ability ratio is Jamon Meredith. They might see him as a guard but I really think he is their best young lineman and they should give him every opportunity to win the LT spot with Bell & Wang.

I also think maybe they figure they can only address one line per season. So they went Dline with the higher round picks this year. They know it's a long shot the Oline is materially better with the low round/udfa picks, so they figure they'll sacrifice the QBs they have now behind that line this year. And next year focus on the Oline and a new QB to go behind it.

just my $0.02

I also think maybe they figure they can only address one line per season. So they went Dline with the higher round picks this year. They know it's a long shot the Oline is materially better with the low round/udfa picks, so they figure they'll sacrifice the QBs they have now behind that line this year. And next year focus on the Oline and a new QB to go behind it.

just my $0.02

I hope that you are correct. I could easily see that being their template.

Well you can't say it's not warranted bitching.

Fitz is awful. As he showed time and time again. If he's the starter then goodnight. Edwards has potential still, but he's made of glass and hasn't proven he can make it through a full season without missing time -- kind of an important factor when looking for a franchise QB. No one knows about Brohm yet, so he's an unknown. Same with Brown.

Not to pick nits, but those points have been done to death, reanimated and done to death, again and again and again. Barring a trade, Nix and Gailey are going to put the guy they feel is the best QB on the field. I don't see what continual bitching about something completely beyond our control, is going to do except clog up the internet even more.

Could we all PLEEEEASE find something different to B word about, at least?

WHAT ABOUT THE FREAKIN' LEFT TACKLE
We'll have to see how Davis, Bulaga, Campbell, Brown, etc. fare as LT's in the NFL. Obviously the Bills didn't feel that any of them were worth selecting with a 1st, and in some cases 2nd or 3rd, round pick.

Not to pick nits, but those points have been done to death, reanimated and done to death, again and again and again. Barring a trade, Nix and Gailey are going to put the guy they feel is the best QB on the field. I don't see what continual bitching about something completely beyond our control, is going to do except clog up the internet even more.

Could we all PLEEEEASE find something different to B word about, at least?

I'm not one to beat a dead horse just to beat one (um ... see my thoughts on Spiller lol). But the problem with the Bills as I see it is a cultural one. They have a losing culture on the team that has filtered down to the fans. The fans (myself included) are like the abused girlfriend, constantly getting hit in the mouth and yet as soon as the team does something nice like get a shiny new toy, new coach, new GM we all forgive it unconditionally.

And on the board here, which we all love, people react the same way. They forgive in the off season when hope springs eternal. And then get totally flustered, angry and upset when the team craps the bed yet again. I'm all for hope and optomisim. I have loads of it. Yet, the biggest reason why this team keeps losing and missing the playoffs is because they have continually failed to address the one position that makes or breaks an NFL team. The QB.

This team has not had a franchise QB since Kelly. Bledsoe was close but had too many miles on him. He just wasn't the same after that hit nearly killed him (and understandably so). A franchise QB not only gives you the opportunity to win every game you play, but also changes the culture in a locker room. A team like the Lions, who have lost more than the Bills, were energized by Stafford's play last year. Even though he wasn't the best QB in the league (not even close) his talent at the most important position on the field, sparked belief in the players, coaches and fans.

That's what Buffalo is lacking. And while the jury is out on Brohm and Brown, I don't think Edwards has it. And I know Fitz doesn't. And until the Bills get that guy on the team, this team will continue to tred water. Winning just enough to avoid hitting rock bottom, but not winning enough to be relevant.

That being the case, there are still SCORES of fans on this site who believe the Bills are set at QB. And while I respect other people's opinions and their right to disagree, the hope is that the front office doesn't believe that to be the case. Because if they do, this team will never change its losing culture.

And THAT'S why it's constantly debated on the board and WILL be debated until a QB comes in and proves he can win every Sunday.