Buddy Offers Some Insight On the QBs

yungmack

Interesting article on why Nix is sticking with the QBs he has. Here's the link:

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-3...7c-ed175fc43900

And here's a small excerpt from it:

“Here’s the way we looked at it,” said Nix. “We’ve got guys physically that can do anything as well as anybody in the draft physically. Throw the ball well, make all the throws, mobile, can move around and are smart. We’ve got guys like that. Now obviously they’ve been kind of inconsistent and up and down, but there are a lot of reasons for that.”

This is what I said all off season!!! Glad to see there is actual confirmation of it now...

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with you ... but what if the QB and OL are just good enough to eek out 6 or 7 wins. That would be disasterous for this franchise, I honestly believe that. It would not only put the Bills out of position to get one of the top 4 QB prospects (assumming they all hold up -- which is a crap shoot), but ir would also give people reason to think that they already have a good enough QB to win if they just get the rest of the pieces right.

That to me is what is scary.

Of course, this argument only really applies if it's Trent leading teh team (which is what I think will happen) or Fitz. If Brohm or Brown lead the team to 6 or 7 wins then they'd have a point.

There's no point to even speculating on QBs next season. No one knows what will happen in the next college season and offseason. QB rankings will go up and go down. There may be 6 sure fire prospects, there may be none. Look at our own Brohm. He goes from possibly #1 overall to a mid-2nd rounder. You can't plan for potential QBs in next year's draft.

I'm not one to beat a dead horse just to beat one (um ... see my thoughts on Spiller lol). But the problem with the Bills as I see it is a cultural one. They have a losing culture on the team that has filtered down to the fans. The fans (myself included) are like the abused girlfriend, constantly getting hit in the mouth and yet as soon as the team does something nice like get a shiny new toy, new coach, new GM we all forgive it unconditionally.

And on the board here, which we all love, people react the same way. They forgive in the off season when hope springs eternal. And then get totally flustered, angry and upset when the team craps the bed yet again. I'm all for hope and optomisim. I have loads of it. Yet, the biggest reason why this team keeps losing and missing the playoffs is because they have continually failed to address the one position that makes or breaks an NFL team. The QB.

This team has not had a franchise QB since Kelly. Bledsoe was close but had too many miles on him. He just wasn't the same after that hit nearly killed him (and understandably so). A franchise QB not only gives you the opportunity to win every game you play, but also changes the culture in a locker room. A team like the Lions, who have lost more than the Bills, were energized by Stafford's play last year. Even though he wasn't the best QB in the league (not even close) his talent at the most important position on the field, sparked belief in the players, coaches and fans.

That's what Buffalo is lacking. And while the jury is out on Brohm and Brown, I don't think Edwards has it. And I know Fitz doesn't. And until the Bills get that guy on the team, this team will continue to tred water. Winning just enough to avoid hitting rock bottom, but not winning enough to be relevant.

That being the case, there are still SCORES of fans on this site who believe the Bills are set at QB. And while I respect other people's opinions and their right to disagree, the hope is that the front office doesn't believe that to be the case. Because if they do, this team will never change its losing culture.

And THAT'S why it's constantly debated on the board and WILL be debated until a QB comes in and proves he can win every Sunday.

There's no such thing as a "losing culture" among the fans. No matter how many times people type posts on the internet whining and complaining, it doesn't have a single effect on what goes on at OBD. People can repeatedly post over and over how they hate the decisions/draft picks, etc, and it doesn't make 1 iota of a difference.

And contrary to popular belief, it is possible to disagree with what the Bills are doing, but still enjoy the season and not B word about every little move the team does. The playoff drought has frustrated the hell out of me, but it doesn't make me miserable. I'll still be optimistic during every off-season and training camp because it makes following the team much more enjoyable.

I have had confidence in Buddy since the beginning. This re-confirms my confidence.

The haters on this board must be very upset. Thankfully, we have a GM who understands that you cannot blame everything on Trent or any QB for last year.

There's no point to even speculating on QBs next season. No one knows what will happen in the next college season and offseason. QB rankings will go up and go down. There may be 6 sure fire prospects, there may be none. Look at our own Brohm. He goes from possibly #1 overall to a mid-2nd rounder. You can't plan for potential QBs in next year's draft.

100% true and correct.

There's no such thing as a "losing culture" among the fans. ....

Totally disagree here. I didn't mean to imply that the fan culture had anything to do with what actually happens at OBD. It doesn't of course.

But there absolutely is a culture amungst fans. And it manifests itself in the type of posts you see on this board. There is a culture to TSW. You know this to be true. It may not impact how the Bills perform on the field, but it certainly impacts the level of discourse seen on this wonderful site.

Interesting article on why Nix is sticking with the QBs he has. Here's the link:

“Here’s the way we looked at it,” said Nix. “We’ve got guys physically that can do anything as well as anybody in the draft physically. Throw the ball well, make all the throws, mobile, can move around and are smart. We’ve got guys like that. Now obviously they’ve been kind of inconsistent and up and down, but there are a lot of reasons for that.”

WHAT BUDDY DIDNT mention was that "next" years draft has 5 QBS all rated higher than this years QB were at this point

Nice article. Thanks for the find.

And there is truth in what Nix said, even though a lot of posters here are ready to throw all 3 returning QB's under the bus...fully loaded dump truck.

Regardless, unless there is a trade before the season is underway, we have the 3 returning QB's + Brown.

And I, for one, am fed up with all the continual bitching about it, from people who have yet to see one play, one throw or one snap of the ball from this year's team.

Don't like it? Too bad, because that's the way it is.

Like it? Good, because that's the way it is.

Don't care? That's still the way it is.

thank God there are a handfull of people on tsw that are on the same page as me. I don't think i would read here everyday if there werent. The overly negative ones, the people who just NEVER have anything good or positive to say, just suck the life out of me. It's the same stuff over and over again and it was old long ago. So thank you all you positive ones for keeping me coming back.

Guest dog14787
I have had confidence in Buddy since the beginning. This re-confirms my confidence.

The haters on this board must be very upset. Thankfully, we have a GM who understands that you cannot blame everything on Trent or any QB for last year.

The emphasis put on the beginning of the season and why a QB would struggle under the circumstances leads me to believe Nix is laying the ground work for why TE is going to be given another chance to succeed here in Buffalo.

This team has not had a franchise QB since Kelly. Bledsoe was close but had too many miles on him. He just wasn't the same after that hit nearly killed him (and understandably so). A franchise QB not only gives you the opportunity to win every game you play, but also changes the culture in a locker room. A team like the Lions, who have lost more than the Bills, were energized by Stafford's play last year. Even though he wasn't the best QB in the league (not even close) his talent at the most important position on the field, sparked belief in the players, coaches and fans.

You're talking about 2-14 Detroit here, that just got done picking pretty much at the top of the draft? Just checking, because from where I'm sitting, talking about that team like they've turned things around is... let's just call it amazingly premature.

Guest dog14787
We have one, his name is Wang.

that said, it seems this is brohm's job to lose with them developing Brown

Seems to me according to this article its going to be TE's to lose

Seems to me according to this article its going to be TE's to lose

No. Trent lost his job TWICE. Nix has seen all he wants to of Edwards the kitty. It is time to see what Brohm can do and like another poster said, the ONLY QB talked about by Gaileyon Sirius today was Brohm

Guest dog14787
If we find a bonafide starter (Edwards) this year capable of winning 8 games do we still draft Locker or another QB first round or when?

If Edwards wins 8 plus games this season and improves as the year progresses the Bills will probably be inclined to give him a new contract worth allot more then he's making now.

Brohm could determine what the future holds and I for one like Brohm and do think Brohm may one day be a starter in the NFL just probably not at the beginning of this season. From an experience standpoint Edwards will be able to catch on to the new offense much quicker in my opinion.

Plus and more importantly though, TE's contract dictates its now or never and we have this one year to see what he has before we decide to send him packing or resign him.

If Edwards wins 8 plus games this season and improves as the year progresses the Bills will probably be inclined to give him a new contract worth allot more then he's making now.

Brohm could determine what the future holds and I for one like Brohm and do think Brohm may one day be a starter in the NFL just not at the beginning of this season. Just from an experience standpoint Edwards will be able to catch on to the new offense much quicker in my opinion.

Plus and more importantly though, TE's contract dictates its now or never and we have this one year to see what he has before we decide to send him packing or resign him.

They have already decided. the 'competition' is just to allow the kitty to save some face. Nix has been here and seen two coaches bench his ass and how badly this guy sucks. Weak arm, kitty, wont' throw with antipation, can't take a hit. Can't sell tickets with him being the QB (see fans booing him going on the field and cheering him being hurt)

Your boyfriend is done starting at QB for the bills. Time for you both to find a new home.

Guest dog14787
They have already decided. the 'competition' is just to allow the kitty to save some face. Nix has been here and seen two coaches bench his ass and how badly this guy sucks. Weak arm, kitty, wont' throw with antipation, can't take a hit. Can't sell tickets with him being the QB (see fans booing him going on the field and cheering him being hurt)

Your boyfriend is done starting at QB for the bills. Time for you both to find a new home.

So because I'm backing one of my players its time for me to find a new home.

I was born in Buffalo, you think you can take that away from me,

I'm not the one running current Bills players into the ground, you are, maybe your the one that needs a new team.

So because I'm backing one of my players its time for me to find a new home.

I was born in Buffalo, you think you can take that away from me,

I'm not the one running current Bills players into the ground, you are, maybe your the one that needs a new team.

The guy sucks ass and is a major reason we suck. I don't give a !@#$ one if you were born in Buffalo or Boston. You back a guy that clearly sucks, never had it, never will which means you put your lovefest for one player over what is best for the TEAM. Yeah, hit the bricks.

Nix and Gailey realize that Trent Edwards clearly has better measurables than anyone in the 2010 draft aside from Bradford. It was the smart move to pass on other Qbs every bit as likely to fail in the nearly impossible circumstances Edwards has faced.

The point here is not that Edwards is good -- let's face it, he was horrible last year. The point is that bringing in any of the options available to us would have only compounded the problem.

Chan knows what he's doing on offense. Let's take a step back, take a deep breath, and see what he can get out of Edwards this season. If Edwards is still garbage, send him on his way.

But Edwards is the starter in 2010. Let there be no mistake about that,

This team has not had a quality OC since Ted Marchibroda. Even Mularkey had to take the play calling duties away from the OC he hired. Maybe if Mularkey hadn't left he would have steadily improved the offense. As it is the rest have been horrible especially the last several years.

Nix and Gailey realize that Trent Edwards clearly has better measurables than anyone in the 2010 draft aside from Bradford. It was the smart move to pass on other Qbs every bit as likely to fail in the nearly impossible circumstances Edwards has faced.

The point here is not that Edwards is good -- let's face it, he was horrible last year. The point is that bringing in any of the options available to us would have only compounded the problem.

Chan knows what he's doing on offense. Let's take a step back, take a deep breath, and see what he can get out of Edwards this season. If Edwards is still garbage, send him on his way.

But Edwards is the starter in 2010. Let there be no mistake about that,

How bout we take a step back, take a deep breath, and let the quarterbacks on the roster fight it out in camp and may the best man win. (which I am hoping is going to be brohm) Let there be no mistake, the best qb will play.