Run Ricky Run

Peter

If you have not seen it, I thoroughly recommend the documentary "Run Ricky Run" on ESPN. For those of you that do not know, it is a documentary on Ricky Williams, and it is outstanding.

Ricky elicits a lot of different reactions from people -- as I am sure that the documentary will.

I do not have time right now to go through all of my thoughts about Ricky now, but I always found him to be a sympathetic figure and the documentary did nothing to change that (except for the part about being an absent father until recently).

It also revealed at least to me a horrific thing that happened in his childhood. I will not get into it now for those of you that have not seen the program yet.

If you have not seen it, I thoroughly recommend the documentary "Run Ricky Run" on ESPN. For those of you that do not know, it is a documentary on Ricky Williams, and it is outstanding.

Ricky elicits a lot of different reactions from people -- as I am sure that the documentary will.

I do not have time right now to go through all of my thoughts about Ricky now, but I always found him to be a sympathetic figure and the documentary did nothing to change that (except for the part about being an absent father until recently).

It also revealed at least to me a horrific thing that happened in his childhood. I will not get into it now for those of you that have not seen the program yet.

I watched this last night...it was actually very good and even my girl was fascinated about it. I would also recommend this....

• 1 month later...
This was one of the best of the series thus far.

Agreed, great documentary. Ricky is really an inspirational person.

On a slightly different note, did anyone see the interview he had with Outside the Lines the day it aired. Just further proved that he really is a good dude. Additionally, he had some pretty interesting comments about why he smoked weed. I wish I could find that interview right now...

Yeah, it was pretty solid and I'm glad he manned up and started takign care of his kids. To a lot of people, they see the money players make and don't understand how people don't love every second of their life. Football is brutal and the fame isn't for everyone. Good for Ricky for doign what made him happy and also recovering enough to finish his career on his terms.

That said, screw the Fins.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNolZXVW6B4

For those of you who haven't seen it.

Thanks for the link, i just watched the whole thing for the first time. Excellent doc. I have always liked Ricky Williams, ever since I saw a special on him before he was drafted about the relationship he had with Doak Walker after he won the Doak Walker award, became friends with the guy who was 50 years older than him, and then helped Walker and Walker's whole family after a skiing accident that eventually killed Walker. Even as a junior in college, Williams was a smart, kind, unusual guy. I would think even if you didnt like him before, that after watching that movie, you would appreciate him.

I never liked Dan Lebatard one bit, but he proved to be a damn decent guy in that film, too, and I changed my opinion of him. He came across as a true friend.

I Second that. Thanks for posting, I really enjoyed it. I remember wanting to watch it when it came out. I'm glad that I finally did.

It's interesting to watch the reactions of others to someone who's out of step with the majority.

Oh yeah: screw the Fins! 'cept wacky wicky, I'll root even more for him now.

Probably one of the best documentarys i have ever seen. I have a new found respect for Williams, he was able to man up admit he had problems, didnt like who he was, and fixed it.

He did 2 of the hardest things for people to do. 1) Admit you ahve problems, and 2) Admit that you have to change who you are.

He knows there is more to life than football, and I respect him for that. I remember many calling him a thug and an idiot, including myself. I and all of us were wrong.

My favorite part was when asked if he blames his ways on his childhood, he flat out says no, if you do that, and palce the blame on others you have lost all control to change it yourself.

Again i say kudos to Williams for manning up, and good for him for getting his life back together and getting back with his wife, and being there for his family, unlike other football stars {cough} Travis Henry {cough}

My favorite part was when asked if he blames his ways on his childhood, he flat out says no, if you do that, and palce the blame on others you have lost all control to change it yourself.

That was my favorite part as well. A great sentiment, and perfect thing to say.

Probably one of the best documentarys i have ever seen. I have a new found respect for Williams, he was able to man up admit he had problems, didnt like who he was, and fixed it.

He did 2 of the hardest things for people to do. 1) Admit you ahve problems, and 2) Admit that you have to change who you are.

He knows there is more to life than football, and I respect him for that. I remember many calling him a thug and an idiot, including myself. I and all of us were wrong.

Again i say kudos to Williams for manning up, and good for him for getting his life back together and getting back with his wife, and being there for his family, unlike other football stars {cough} Travis Henry {cough}

I agree. Excellent documentary. Very interesting

It was pretty neat.

Everybody has faults, but it was obvious he only came back to the Dolphins because he was staring down a multimillion dollar lawsuit from the team to recover the signing bonus they gave him. Right?

That was my only issue. He made a commitment and walked away. If he had repaid his debt upfront when he retired (which he couldn't because it was all spent), I would have had a little more respect if he had stayed retired. IMO it just felt like he only came back so he couldn't get sued.

But that argument could be blown out the window by the fact he's still playing. I believe his debt to the team was done once he came back the first year (or at least the Dolphins have ceased their efforts to come after it). His choice to still play is all on him. Sounds like he really enjoys life and enjoys football these days.

It was very good insight on a person's inner demons and what somebody can accomplish even if you're the only person still believing in yourself.

And I thought it was about Rickey Henderson. LOL!!!