Flozell Adams

Leonidas

You know, Schefter really seems to be going out of his way to insult Bills fans (recall the comments during the Cowher chase). He is challenging Mort for #1 douche over at ESPN.

And what exactly is his insult? He's absolutely right that a guy picking his last team would want to go out with a chance to win another ring.

Believe me, guys, I love the idea of Gaither or Adams as much as you do.

However, the thing we always over look when it comes to situations like this is(although, lets be honest, we don't overlook it :P :

A) will they even come here?;

B) will we pay them to come here?

It is kind of the reason why this team seems to carry a few too many ex-oakland raider journeymen.

And exactly which team on the verge of a super bowl needs a washed up penilty machine to upgrade their O-line???

While Adams may WANT to go to a winning club .... maybe it's the bottom feeders like us that are the only ones who NEED him.

Don't get me wrong ... I love my Bills ... but the fact remains his team got rid of him so they can get better, no "winning teams" need him to get better .... and he just may be a short term upgrade for us.

Mr. Adams just may find his opportunities a bit limited.

and THAT should be what Adam Shefter is putting on the air waves.

And what exactly is his insult? He's absolutely right that a guy picking his last team would want to go out with a chance to win another ring.

What does that have to do with Adams? He got cut by a team with Super Bowl aspirations. His other reported suitor is the Bears. Is he going to win a Super Bowl with the Bears next year?

You know, Schefter really seems to be going out of his way to insult Bills fans (recall the comments during the Cowher chase). He is challenging Mort for #1 douche over at ESPN.

I think they like to get the goat of Chris Berman by picking on the Bills.

I have read this statement several times on this board but can't seem to find information to check it against. Can you provide a link ? I have read his performance stats and they look very good - which means he is productive and implies he is not lazy/has bad ethic.

You have to be impressed by a lazy player who ranks 6th out of 77 tackles based on that website mentioned previously.

I have read this statement several times on this board but can't seem to find information to check it against. Can you provide a link ? I have read his performance stats and they look very good - which means he is productive and implies he is not lazy/has bad ethic.

Just Google the Baltimore Sun and search Jared Gaither, here is one article and I've read others talking about Gaither and his work ethic, or lack of.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/...0,6114595.story

Gaither has consistently had to deal with these types of questions. After he was selected by the Ravens in the fifth round of the 2007 supplemental draft, Maryland coach Ralph Friedgen expressed his concern over Gaither's work ethic - which led to his losing his starting job with the Terrapins.

"Sometimes he wouldn't work," Friedgen said in 2007. "I think I have to have some credibility there with my players. ... There were some days he didn't feel like practicing."

"Sometimes he wouldn't work," Friedgen said in 2007. "I think I have to have some credibility there with my players. ... There were some days he didn't feel like practicing."

[/i]

However, since getting to the Pros, it seems like his really good day seems to be "Sunday".

:P

Yeah, I am still worried about a potential 10 million dollar pain in the neck, that's why if we didn't go that route we at least get Adams as a stop-gap until our youngins get more experienced.

I think they like to get the goat of Chris Berman by picking on the Bills.

I also like how he irresponsibly reported we were "heartbroken" about not getting Tebow. Nix comes out and flat out calls that incorrect and nothing from Schefter. I have been harassing him on twitter ever since to make a retraction. The one thing I hate about ESPN is they claim to be journalists, but in reality they hold themselves to no code of journalistic conduct. You are wrong about something you print a retraction.

What does that have to do with Adams? He got cut by a team with Super Bowl aspirations. His other reported suitor is the Bears. Is he going to win a Super Bowl with the Bears next year?

He can also stay in shape and wait for other teams to see what they've got once training camp opens.

No need to sign anywhere in April, be it Chicago, Buffalo or some other playoff caliber team...

He has learned to be an assclown just like his boyfriend Mort.

His best days are simply behind him. He's on a rapid decline. He had a good career but is not going to be much good to anybody. You'd think Chicago learned their lesson after signing the washed up Orlando Pace.

Might be time to retire when Buffalo and Chicago are your only suitors.

I'd love to see them add Gaither but wouldnt be upset if we got Adams. If nothing else he's a veteran presence and perhaps Bell and Wang can learn from him..... He knows what its like to win and maybe able to bring some of that attitude and leadership to the lockeroom..... as far as paying or over paying, if Ralphs willing to cut the check who cares, its an uncapped year.... as long as year two of the contract isnt ridiculous if/when the cap returns......

The Chicago bears landed Orlando Pace with the same mentality last year, overpaying his 5M a year and had to cut him at the end of the year as he could not protect Jay Cutler and be the same dominating player. Adams is in the same category and should be avoided. If he is a backup then fine....

His best days are simply behind him. He's on a rapid decline. He had a good career but is not going to be much good to anybody. You'd think Chicago learned their lesson after signing the washed up Orlando Pace.

Might be time to retire when Buffalo and Chicago are your only suitors.

An O-lineman's skills can degrade pretty quickly. One year their playing at a high level, the next year they're done. If the Cowboys let him go I think he's done.

Try this instead, if you can't understand the folks who want Gaither instead of Flozell.

http://profootballfocus.com/by_position.ph...&numgames=1

It's the rankings of all tackles (LTs and RTs ranked together as one group). The site, profootballfocus.com , looks at every play of the season and grades the tackles on this page. Gaither is ranked 6th out of 77. He's the 4th best pass blocker and the 8th best run blocker. That's damn good.

There does seem to be juuuuuuuuuust a slight talent differential, as Flozell Adams is ranked 51st out of 77. Just a fractional little difference there. Throw in the fact that Flozell is 34 and Gaither is 24 and it's a bit easier to figure out why people here want Gaither over Adams.

Unfortunately, the Ravens have noticed all this too. They aren't getting rid of Gaither. That whole idea is based entirely on rumor and guesswork, with each guess being reported on again and again, and that second round of articles generating a third round which generates a fourth and so on. The Ravens aren't letting Gaither go.

So, in that sense, Flozell Adams would be a major upgrade on Gaither, he's only a stopgap and not particularly good anymore - he used to be terrific - but unlike Gaither, there's a possibility we could actually get him. So, yeah, pick up Flozell. He's way better than anything else we have on the roster and by the time Wang is ready, Adams will be done.

Just once I'd like to see you make a point without referencing profootballfocus.com. Just once.

I understand Gaither is a better tackle at this point in his career than Adams. I understand that he had a better year last year than Adams. I also understand Adams took a lot of penalties, even more so than usual. Believe it or not, I understand the age difference as well. Those weren't the questions though. The question is compensation. Flozell can be brought in for a year or two to bridge the gap at a very reasonable price. Gaither will require a 2nd round draft pick and command an $8-10M/year salary while having a questionable work either. I don't need to bring Jason Peters into the conversation to tell you what a problem that poses. Also, it's not like we don't have a plethora of young talent waiting to take over in 2011. Gaither is unnecessary at this point. I fully expect Bell/Meredith/Wang to be ready to man the left side in 2011.

Honestly this most likely means that the Bills aren't going to be trading for Gaither which was what I was hoping for. As far as Adams goes it would be good to have a vet anchor that spot for 8-11 games then if we are out of it go out and give Wang or Bell the spot for the last 8-5 games of the season.

Adams to me seems like a guy who can either squeak out a year of average LT production or be a disaster either way if the money is right take the chance we can't keep putting young LT's in compromised situations like we did with Bell last year.

Stop already with this Gaither thing!!! The guy isn't available and never was. It was all a ploy by management to get his ass in gear.

They should sign him for two years. Adams is an upgrade over anyone the Bills have. It will the give the younger players time to develop, and it allows the Bills to kick the can down the road until next year's draft. It will be a huge improvement over last year, and it will help with the development of the quarterback who wins the competition this summer.

Really? You're sure about this statement?

My question to you (and all the others on this forum who ALWAYS, ALWAYS assume the other guy's junk is better than anything the Bills have) then why are the 'Boys dumping him?

BTW, for those who want Adams in Buffalo, I believe Gailey was his original head coach coming into the league.

Adams has been around a cery long time. To put things in perspective, Adams was drafted the same year the Bills drafted Sam Cowart. Interestingly, Alan Faneca also came out that year (1998).

I for one would like to see them sign Adams for a year or 2. But, I think I would rather have Faneca and slide Levitre out to OT as a stop gap. Or, see how Wang does in camp and let him learn with the help of a hall of fame guard. Faneca is still a beast at run blocking.

Tough call too, because I am very high on Levitre at OG; I always likened him to Steinbach and am not fond of impeding his progress. IF Wang can play, it would be just the break this team needs.

I like the thought, but Faneca had a bad year on a very good line. If the Jets are taking a project 2nd round OT and moving him to starting G, that says something. Keep Levitre at G.

Don't count on Wang anytime soon. A 5th round project OT shouldn't be on the field for a few years. 5th rounders success rate is what, 20-30% tops of being a solid starter? Plus add in that he's a developmental player and those odds aren't anything I would bank on.

If you care about Trent's life, I think you have to go get a LT.

And exactly which team on the verge of a super bowl needs a washed up penilty machine to upgrade their O-line???

While Adams may WANT to go to a winning club .... maybe it's the bottom feeders like us that are the only ones who NEED him.

Don't get me wrong ... I love my Bills ... but the fact remains his team got rid of him so they can get better, no "winning teams" need him to get better .... and he just may be a short term upgrade for us.

Spot on analysis.

I also like how he irresponsibly reported we were "heartbroken" about not getting Tebow. Nix comes out and flat out calls that incorrect and nothing from Schefter. I have been harassing him on twitter ever since to make a retraction. The one thing I hate about ESPN is they claim to be journalists, but in reality they hold themselves to no code of journalistic conduct. You are wrong about something you print a retraction.

Nix also said that Lynch wasn't on the trade block, and everyone this side of the moon knows that isn't true. There are alot of smokescreens in the NFL, especially around draft time, and no team likes to feel like they have been outdone by another team.

Word. The insulting part is not that it isn't true, we all know it is, but it was irrelevant in this case. Thus, going out of his way to rub our noses in it. If Adams is choosing between Buffalo and Chicago, as reported, then Schefter just comes off as another ESPN analyst with an axe to grind. JMO.

Bills to add more OL help?

11:38AM ET

Buffalo Bills

Top Email

Prior to the draft, it was expected that the Buffalo Bills would emerge from the three-day extravaganza (if not the first night) with an offensive tackle to plug in to their lineup. Instead, they'll venture forth into the 2010 preseason with the same problem they had at the close of the 2009 season.

But there's a good chance that they're not yet done looking. For starters, they might take a look at veteran free agent Flozell Adams. Adams was one of the most-penalized linemen in the NFL, but he would be an upgrade from a skills standpoint. It's also possible that they re-examine trade discussions with the Baltimore Ravens for Jared Gaither. The draft came and went with Gaither still a member of the Ravens' team, but the Bills did investigate him a bit, per Pro Football Talk.

ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter brings up a key point in why Buffalo might have a difficult time attracting veteran free agents:

Adam Schefter

Re-building Bills are a tough sell

"If you're a veteran, and you've got one more chance at winning a Super Bowl, is Buffalo your choice? There aren't many worthy veteran offensive linemen out there. To find one willing to spend his last season with the Bills makes it even more challenging."

If Flozell's choices are Chicago and Buffalo seems like a tossup -- I don't see the Bears winning any Super Bowls.

somestime the truth just hurst...