Fox Sports Grades Bills Draft a "C"

box0life

Only Jacksonville was worse with a C-. Outside of Cory Chavous I've seen no above average grades for the Bills so far.

I have to agree with them. I see nothing special with this draft except Spiller. I might say that Levi Brown was a good value pick in the seventh. Other than that nothing really stands out as a coup.

I still don't understand why we didn't trade Lynch to Seattle. They apparently really tried to get him. What is Nix thinking?

This is a team with many, many holes. This is a team trying to reshape their defensive roster so that they can install a 3-4. There was only so much they could do. Like Buddy said, if you draft a guy that can't play just to fill a need, you have only compounded the problem.

I didn't look at Spiller much because I was so sure it was going to be an OT or NT. But looking at him now, all I can say is WOW. This guy has Don Beebe like speed and is an academic all american. He will never do anything to embarass himself or this franchise. This guys is special, maybe the best player in this draft. They took the best player on the board and a guy every team in the league would welcome on their roster. So I am good with that.

The rest were guys we absolutely needed. You can't play a 3-4 without a NT and we don't have a single one on our roster, not one. Troup was the best one on the board when we picked him. I don't think he would have been there in the 3rd. Given Kelsay's performance and Schobel retiring, maybe, we clearly need some help with the DL. The 3-4 requires lots of LB's so we got some good prospects. We even picked up a long shot QB prospect just to have a plan "C" waiting in the wings down the road.

The OL is obviously a real issue but again, you only have so many picks. We are in a rebuilding process and that is going to take more than one or two drafts.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, but here's another example. The bad grades are to be taken with a grain of salt, but the good grade comes from research, watching film and intelligent observations.

Yeah, but here's the ONLY example that counts. No one knows how a draft turns out untill at least 3 years later. End of story. The draft is a crap shoot. Dedicated research helps minimize failures but failures will develop. Too many intangiles & unknowns to predict, like attitude, injury, 'Fit', personal issues.

As for Buffalo's draft, we got a game-changing RB -Need. Big, strong 3-4 DL -Need. Big, strong OL -Need, 3-4 LB's -Need. Big, strong WR -Need. QB project -Need.

The added value is that nearly everyone of them were captains of their teams, Seniors, highly motivated, upstanding and injury free.

Argue with that. Grade that.

Yeah, but here's the ONLY example that counts. No one knows how a draft turns out untill at least 3 years later. End of story. The draft is a crap shoot. Dedicated research helps minimize failures but failures will develop. Too many intangiles & unknowns to predict, like attitude, injury, 'Fit', personal issues.

As for Buffalo's draft, we got a game-changing RB -Need. Big, strong 3-4 DL -Need. Big, strong OL -Need, 3-4 LB's -Need. Big, strong WR -Need. QB project -Need.

The added value is that nearly everyone of them were captains of their teams, Seniors, highly motivated, upstanding and injury free.

Argue with that. Grade that.

Well said.

I'm not really sure what people were expecting.

Bradford with Tebow as insurance, Suh and McCoy on the D-line, Spiller in the backfield, Okung at LT and Iupati at G, McLain for ILB, Dez Bryant to team with Evans at WR, and Seattle's first and seond in next year's draft for Lynch?

There isn't enough in the greater Buffalo area to trade to make that happen.

Well said.

I'm not really sure what people were expecting.

Bradford with Tebow as insurance, Suh and McCoy on the D-line, Spiller in the backfield, Okung at LT and Iupati at G, McLain for ILB, Dez Bryant to team with Evans at WR, and Seattle's first and seond in next year's draft for Lynch?

There isn't enough in the greater Buffalo area to trade to make that happen.

What a stoopid post. That would be an epic FAIL draft unless they also got Seattle's first in the 2012 draft too. :thumbsup:

Only Jacksonville was worse with a C-. Outside of Cory Chavous I've seen no above average grades for the Bills so far.

I have to agree with them. I see nothing special with this draft except Spiller. I might say that Levi Brown was a good value pick in the seventh. Other than that nothing really stands out as a coup.

I still don't understand why we didn't trade Lynch to Seattle. They apparently really tried to get him. What is Nix thinking?

Good, let Fox stay in the media business. I like what the Bills did in the draft. Obviously time will tell but we got some keepers in this draft and that is the goal.

I didn't look at Spiller much because I was so sure it was going to be an OT or NT. But looking at him now, all I can say is WOW. This guy has Don Beebe like speed and is an academic all american. He will never do anything to embarass himself or this franchise. This guys is special, maybe the best player in this draft. They took the best player on the board and a guy every team in the league would welcome on their roster. So I am good with that.

I agree pretty much across the board. As far as Spiller goes, I heard him on Dan Patrick last week and I think we are going to happy with that young man. He seems ready to handle his business and make a name for himself and us along the way. go BILLS!

Seattle wasn't offering anything more than a 5th. Lynch definitely has at least that much value for us in 2010.

How long is lynch signed for? Anybody know?

That said I dissagree with Fox. They did a great job suring up the type of Dfence they want to play. The run threat finally got what would appear to be a great threat. Not to mention we have somebody that can return the ball. ( Fred was not a star at the return.) Besides I think that slowed him down in the backfield. It appears they were most interested in the Dfence this year and at least they stayed focused.

Here is the link to the Cory Chavous piece on the Bills Draft in case someone missed it:

How long is lynch signed for? Anybody know?

That said I dissagree with Fox. They did a great job suring up the type of Dfence they want to play. The run threat finally got what would appear to be a great threat. Not to mention we have somebody that can return the ball. ( Fred was not a star at the return.) Besides I think that slowed him down in the backfield. It appears they were most interested in the Dfence this year and at least they stayed focused.

Giving the draft a grade when done is merely an excercize. It means nothing.

The grades we get only reflect the fact that we didn't go after the QB early.

Bills fans that know haven't forgot the fact that we were in many games until the 4th quarter only to have the defense give out on us. This was due to having a smallish defense that was worn down by the opponent.

This was addresses in the draft. We became bigger, much stronger and better against the run.

Getting a playmaker in the back field that can break it at anytime help Capt checkdown.

Keep Lynch..he is the only one from his draft that has played tough and with heart. Don't even try mentioning TE or Poz.

We will need all three RB's this season.

They scouted small schools very well. Carrington, Batten were dominant at their level and will be the reason why this draft will eventually grade out to an A. Only Chavous sees this because he plays the game at a higher level than the other analyst did.

So?

Who cares what a bunch of has-been's or nobodies thinks?

The true measure of a draft will be 3-5 years from now. Then we will know how many of these guys produced, have a stellar career, etc.

You have got to realize that this is all about sizzle. Everyone wants to write about the big name player this, the big name school that. It's all hogwash designed to sell shirts, magazines, tickets, etc, and it has NOTHING to do with reality.

Let me ask you: when the Bills drafted a receiver out of tiny Kutztown State named Andre Reed, were you thrilled? How about a defensive lineman in the 2nd round from North Dakota State named Phil Hansen? Howard Ballard in the 7th? Steve Tasker?

It might just be me, but I seem to recall all of those guys going on to have standout careers with the Buffalo Bills for several years. Am I saying that all of these guys drafted this year will turn out to have those kinds of legacies? I would hope so, but it's not likely.

My point though is that it takes time for these guys to develop, and we have to be patient enough to see the development of these players come to fruition.

And that is the real test. We're all exhausted from this past decade. I get that. I'm with you. But to fall for the gimmicks of big school this, and Mel Kiper's grade that...let me put it this way: Mel Kiper's job is not on the line if an NFL GM follows his "advice" and that advice falls flat on its face. Would you want a GM and a scouting department to rely upon and follow where Todd McShay or Mike Mayock have them guided?

Think about that for a moment.

If your real gripe is having no patience, I can't agree more. Take a step back, and don't buy any gear this year. Sit back and observe. And if you see something you like, then come on back.

But if you're are completely sold that Mayock/ Kiper/ McShay/ any other wanna-be knows more than the GM/ head coach/ scouts/ owner of an actual NFL team and its needs, goals, etc....then quit yer bitchin', cause you are not grounded in reality!

We need him for a while, plus we have him signed under the rookie contract, so its not a lot of money. we sould only get a 4 or 5 pick,... keep him, use him, then if another team loses their rb, we can trade.

If it makes you feel any better, Scouts Inc. ranked Buffalo 12th out of 32. Most of these grades really mean nothing at this point. This was a team with lots of holes and they addressed the O-Line, the D-Line, Linebacker, Running Back, QB and WR. All were positions of need, and I believe they got guys that can play in each instance. Time will tell, but I definitely like the approach that they took.

And that grade is based on extensive research, film review and live talent evaluation.

I still don't understand

And hence, the reason why 90% of TSW gets a 'C' as well.

No one that posts to fan MBs is qualified to give player evaluations one day after the draft...despite how many draft mags or websites they've read.

I gave the draft a C myself, but there is potential in this draft to be much higher grade IMO.

I love that we didn't reach for a craptastic QB option. Disappointed we didn't get a LT that can start