Jason Taylor signs with the Jets. Bills fall farther behind pack

IMO, Nix has absolutely no illusions about 'competing for the division,' so these woe-is-me posts are a hoot.

He's cutting out the gangrene and focusing on building a foundation after 11 years of smoke and mirrors. It's a 2-year process at best, so expectations better get adjusted to that reality.

Besides, when the Bills finally are ready to raise the curtain, the Jets, Fins and Pats will likely be headed the other way, in the natural ebb and flow of things.

what's with the dualist thinking...why is it "either,or'...why not build through the draft AND try to get better in the short term with free agent signings. What ever happened to the idea of cagey veterans mentoring young rookies as a part of rebuilding. only reason I can conjure for not doing it is to save rw's money and I don't get Bills fans concern for this. BTW, things on this board sounded mighty different when we signed an aging receiver last year. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OK I'll play, what do you base that feeling on when it is basically the same team, minus T.O. Josh Reed, etc, and added a couple role players? I like your optmism (not your sarcasm though-the first paragraph of your post is kinda childish), but not sure what it is based on.

Billsfreak, do you HAVE any OPTIMISM? yes,my first paragraph was totally sarcastic and meant to be. if you think its childish, that really doesn't bother me. what really was childish was the post where you said you were a bigger fan than me.(i'm pretty sure that was you- if not, my sincere apologies).the people who think the opposite of you may find my sarcasm entertaining. but there are a certain few of you on tsw that are just so totally negative and depressing and very infrequently does anything positive come out of your guys mouths. and frankly, it just really gets old. I find it hard to believe that ANYTHING the Bills do will please you. to me its just a sad way to live life. there are many positives to build on here, instead many just dwell on the negatives. do you really think you can build a better team than nix/gailey? these guys have lived their lives around football and i'm pretty sure they know much more than any of us fans on how to build a winning team for the long hall.

i totally disagree its the same team. there have been many changes. i will list what i feel are positives.

1. jauron was fired. he sucked and cost this team dearly. so addition by subtraction.

2. a new coach was hired. not the flashy name we were looking for. but i like this guy so far. he's had a winning team at all levels wherever he has gone. seems like a straight shooter. I am going to give him the benefit of the doubt and give him a couple years to see what he can do. see if he has good game plans,good game day decisions,makes his players accountable.

3. we have a GM! russ brandon wasnt. marv wasnt too good at it. is it a big name guy, no. but this guy did well with the bills years ago and well with SD and has been around football all his life. I feel he is going to be a positive addition . he knows what he wants to do and is doing it. it may not be what some of you experts want(oh my childish sarcasm again-oops). but again, i am going to put my trust in someone like him and not joe shmo fans on here who think they know what they are doing. he is much more qualified than any of us and I like what he is doing so far.

4.T0 is gone. Did that really make a big difference last year? personally, and i know I have quite a few people that will agree with me here, didnt think he was all that great. dropped some balls, didnt go after others cost us a few ints because of it. dont think he was worth 6.5 million that is for sure. Yes terrel would maybe be an ok option but it would be at the cost of our other players being developed. hardy may be good given a chance. won't know with him riding the pines. I honestly believe S. Johnson will be awesome. The guy can play. and roscoe, i'm pretty sure he wasnt used in the proper fasion and think he'll excell with a compitant coach. nix or gailey said that they look at some of our players differently than some of us fans do and the recievers could be one example of that. now josh reed, i am sorry to see him go. He was one of my favorite playes. an awesome blocker, usually reliable and almost always good for a first down. I'm not sure why they let him go. but no one has picked him up yet. not even new england. they still may, but if he was THAT good i think he would have been signed by now. so is it a big deal? i think not.

5. i realize the bills havent made too many free agent aquisitions, but they said this right from the get go. I think they want to go younger and be able to pick the people they want and mold them the way they want to. we all know the redskins never made it work and i cant really think of any team that HAS bought itself a championship. could we have maybe added a few more playes. yes. but its apparent these guys have a plan. I dont think jason taylor would have put us over the top this year.do you? its fine for the jets to try something like this because thet are much closer than us. but in no way does it guarantee them a damn thing. the problem with finding short term solutions to problems is that they are short term solutions. they need to find long term solutions if we are to stay competitive for awhile.

6. they got rid of the T.V.'s!

7. we still have the draft. and then i gotta listen to all the people who didnt like who they picked. God I hope they have a good draft that everyone likes but realistically that aint going to happen. I can see them picking spiller or someone many feel we dont need and tsw melting down after that. I personally want the best player available with a nod going to the needs. will i be upset if spiller gets picked? no. i think he's a gamer. do i want a left tackle? yes, but if the one available isnt much better than what will be available later in the draft, i'd like to upgrade anywher we can.

8. dwan edwards was more than a role player. he was one of the better free agents available. and andra davis is no slouch. now i will give you this, cornell green may be a role player. but we had a huge hole to fill and he should fill it ok till we get someone else.

9. we have 2, yes two, strength and conditioning guys and got rid of one that obviously wasnt helping.

ok i guess i am done for now. I don't expect to change your mind. its doom and gloom for you. I wouldnt be so sarcastic if there was ever something positive you wrote but its pretty rare.there are a handfull of people that are like you here on tsw. you guys can all hang out and be depressed together. Misery loves company . I like our direction. we havent had a direction in so long. so you can be your usual negative self, and I will remain my postive self and life will go on. I guess we'll know in a year or two who was right.

and to all-sorry for any spelling errors. too tired to go back and check again

Billsfreak, do you HAVE any OPTIMISM? yes,my first paragraph was totally sarcastic and meant to be. if you think its childish, that really doesn't bother me. what really was childish was the post where you said you were a bigger fan than me.(i'm pretty sure that was you- if not, my sincere apologies).the people who think the opposite of you may find my sarcasm entertaining. but there are a certain few of you on tsw that are just so totally negative and depressing and very infrequently does anything positive come out of your guys mouths. and frankly, it just really gets old. I find it hard to believe that ANYTHING the Bills do will please you. to me its just a sad way to live life. there are many positives to build on here, instead many just dwell on the negatives. do you really think you can build a better team than nix/gailey? these guys have lived their lives around football and i'm pretty sure they know much more than any of us fans on how to build a winning team for the long hall.

i totally disagree its the same team. there have been many changes. i will list what i feel are positives.

1. jauron was fired. he sucked and cost this team dearly. so addition by subtraction.

2. a new coach was hired. not the flashy name we were looking for. but i like this guy so far. he's had a winning team at all levels wherever he has gone. seems like a straight shooter. I am going to give him the benefit of the doubt and give him a couple years to see what he can do. see if he has good game plans,good game day decisions,makes his players accountable.

3. we have a GM! russ brandon wasnt. marv wasnt too good at it. is it a big name guy, no. but this guy did well with the bills years ago and well with SD and has been around football all his life. I feel he is going to be a positive addition . he knows what he wants to do and is doing it. it may not be what some of you experts want(oh my childish sarcasm again-oops). but again, i am going to put my trust in someone like him and not joe shmo fans on here who think they know what they are doing. he is much more qualified than any of us and I like what he is doing so far.

4.T0 is gone. Did that really make a big difference last year? personally, and i know I have quite a few people that will agree with me here, didnt think he was all that great. dropped some balls, didnt go after others cost us a few ints because of it. dont think he was worth 6.5 million that is for sure. Yes terrel would maybe be an ok option but it would be at the cost of our other players being developed. hardy may be good given a chance. won't know with him riding the pines. I honestly believe S. Johnson will be awesome. The guy can play. and roscoe, i'm pretty sure he wasnt used in the proper fasion and think he'll excell with a compitant coach. nix or gailey said that they look at some of our players differently than some of us fans do and the recievers could be one example of that. now josh reed, i am sorry to see him go. He was one of my favorite playes. an awesome blocker, usually reliable and almost always good for a first down. I'm not sure why they let him go. but no one has picked him up yet. not even new england. they still may, but if he was THAT good i think he would have been signed by now. so is it a big deal? i think not.

5. i realize the bills havent made too many free agent aquisitions, but they said this right from the get go. I think they want to go younger and be able to pick the people they want and mold them the way they want to. we all know the redskins never made it work and i cant really think of any team that HAS bought itself a championship. could we have maybe added a few more playes. yes. but its apparent these guys have a plan. I dont think jason taylor would have put us over the top this year.do you? its fine for the jets to try something like this because thet are much closer than us. but in no way does it guarantee them a damn thing. the problem with finding short term solutions to problems is that they are short term solutions. they need to find long term solutions if we are to stay competitive for awhile.

6. they got rid of the T.V.'s!

7. we still have the draft. and then i gotta listen to all the people who didnt like who they picked. God I hope they have a good draft that everyone likes but realistically that aint going to happen. I can see them picking spiller or someone many feel we dont need and tsw melting down after that. I personally want the best player available with a nod going to the needs. will i be upset if spiller gets picked? no. i think he's a gamer. do i want a left tackle? yes, but if the one available isnt much better than what will be available later in the draft, i'd like to upgrade anywher we can.

8. dwan edwards was more than a role player. he was one of the better free agents available. and andra davis is no slouch. now i will give you this, cornell green may be a role player. but we had a huge hole to fill and he should fill it ok till we get someone else.

9. we have 2, yes two, strength and conditioning guys and got rid of one that obviously wasnt helping.

ok i guess i am done for now. I don't expect to change your mind. its doom and gloom for you. I wouldnt be so sarcastic if there was ever something positive you wrote but its pretty rare.there are a handfull of people that are like you here on tsw. you guys can all hang out and be depressed together. Misery loves company . I like our direction. we havent had a direction in so long. so you can be your usual negative self, and I will remain my postive self and life will go on. I guess we'll know in a year or two who was right.

and to all-sorry for any spelling errors. too tired to go back and check again

Pretty good summary. On top of it you can say that the philosophy you hear out of Nix and Gailey sounds a lot more like what you hear out of real football guys. Not a lot of talk about "how hard it is to sign free agents in this league." I even read Nix talked either Dwan or Davis off the plane to sign a deal. I, perhaps in the minority, am extatic we are not signing the pro bowl team from 2003....

This signing means nothing. Taylor is not motivated and is rapidly aging and declining. The Jets just overpaid for him and I'm laughing at them.

The Tomlinson signing was also a joke. And so what if they added Holmes. He's going to miss four games and will be rusty. Not to mention he's overrated and won't be much of a compliment to the brick-handed Edwards.

The Jets are setting the bar high and now have lofty expectations. No one expected them to even make the playoffs last year. They'll have a tougher schedule and won't catch anybody off guard this year.

Although they steam-rolled through the playoffs, lets not forget they essentially fell ass-backwards into the playoffs. I think they'll take a few steps back and miss the playoffs. I think Sanchez will experience an interception filled sophmore slump.

IMO, the Pats are still tops in the AFC East. But I will agree that we are well behind the rest of the division. But we're young and in rebuilding mode. A legit franchise QB can quickly turn around the fortunes of even the most downtrodden of teams.

A greed. JT is going to make the same impact with the Jets that he did with Washington....

pfffft.

Jason Taylor has signed for two years with the New York Jets. Another good signing for the division rival Jets. Coupled with the Pats signing Torry Holt today, the Bills just keep falling farther and farther out of any dream for competing in the division. Seems like every other day, someone from the AFC East, besides Buffalo makes a good signing improving themselves. Gonna be a long year for the Buffalo faithful.

Does Torry Holt even play anymore? He has nothing left in the tank. You think if he could play that the Jaguars would not have tried to keep him? I have read your posts for a long time and you are one of the most NEGATIVE posters about the Bills on this message board. I have never heard you say anything positive about the team. And as for Jason Taylor, the guy is 35 and will most likely play 20 plays until he gets injured again. I would rather have Schobel at this point in both their careers.

what's with the dualist thinking...why is it "either,or'...why not build through the draft AND try to get better in the short term with free agent signings.

Sure, but that's not mutually inclusive of 'competing for the division.'

A 0.500 record would be grounds for Executive of the Year praise, IMO.

This signing means nothing. Taylor is not motivated and is rapidly aging and declining. The Jets just overpaid for him and I'm laughing at them.

The Tomlinson signing was also a joke. And so what if they added Holmes. He's going to miss four games and will be rusty. Not to mention he's overrated and won't be much of a compliment to the brick-handed Edwards.

The Jets are setting the bar high and now have lofty expectations. No one expected them to even make the playoffs last year. They'll have a tougher schedule and won't catch anybody off guard this year.

Although they steam-rolled through the playoffs, lets not forget they essentially fell ass-backwards into the playoffs. I think they'll take a few steps back and miss the playoffs. I think Sanchez will experience an interception filled sophmore slump.

And I thought I was a delusional Bills fan.

And for those of you talking about the "Bills building to lead the division for the next 10 years..."

Do you even think the Bills will be around in 10 years...let alone 5?

And for those of you talking about the "Bills building to lead the division for the next 10 years..."

Yeah. Where are they going?

Prefice it to say I dislike the Jets but do admire that they are going after it in an uncapped year. Past few years they have added Santonio Holmes, Jason Taylor,

Braylon Edwards, Sanchez(The Sanchize that they traded up to get, Calvin Pace, Bart Scott, Kris Jenkins, Alan Faneca. My Bills went after TO, Hartencrapper, and the RB ferguson? WTF gives.

We are so far behind them as we should have gone Ryan but kept Jaron instead.

Sick over this.

believe that ANYTHING the Bills do will please you. to me its just a sad way to live life. there are many positives to build on here, instead many just dwell on the negatives. do you really think you can build a better team than nix/gailey? these guys have lived their lives around football and i'm pretty sure they know much more than any of us fans on how to build a winning team for the long hall.

Textbook response to a person calling a spade a spade. You hit all of the talking points from the Bills optimists:

1. Say Nix/Gailey are better qualified than us to make decisions. We have to trust them, like we did Levy, Jauron and Smithers.

2. Tell poster they're miserable, and shouldn't be. Besides, optimism is better because reality bites, man.

3. Talk about the future, draft, great free agency despite no "names." This being the second rebuild since 2006, why not?

4. Demonstrate addition by subtraction (DJ) People said the same thing about TD four years ago.

The point is, the people picking the actual football GM and HC are still the same. Wilson, Smithers, Overdorf, et al still control who the face of the franchise is at GM and HC. Except this time when it dawned on them to hire an actual GM (of football I might add) they realized they had irreparably harmed their reputation. It's going to be a long road back, assuming the team remains beyond the lease running out after the 2012 season. Plenty of time to rebuild, even with a likely lockout.

You don't sound delusional. You sound depressed. If the team is going away in 5 years, why not enjoy them while they're here? Or if you'd like, you can post angry stuff on the message board of the next city they're in.

The Bills are getting younger through the draft and the Jets and Pats are turning into retirement homes. Jason Taylor is a fraction of what he used to be- third down player or not...and the same goes for Holt.