Tim Graham - "Rest of AFC East leaving Bills Behind"

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This should come as no surprise to Bills fans as the team's management has been abysmal to incompetent at best. As a result, we are looking at a terrifying rebuilding curve. However, Nix/Wailey/Gailey are notorious draft builders. It's clearly going to be a multi-year process to make the Bills competitive in their own division, much less the league. I hope the ownership as well as the fans can hold out to see the job completed. The work begins Thursday. We'll just have to see.

This should come as no surprise to Bills fans as the team's management has been abysmal to incompetent at best. As a result, we are looking at a terrifying rebuilding curve. However, Nix/Wailey/Gailey are notorious draft builders. It's clearly going to be a multi-year process to make the Bills competitive in their own division, much less the league. I hope the ownership as well as the fans can hold out to see the job completed. The work begins Thursday. We'll just have to see.

you are correct

Gailey's track record over the last 10 years of building an NFL contender through the draft have been astounding :thumbdown:

same with Buddy-

for over 50 years, he has been making the key draft decisions as the head guy

the off-season has been just so impressive, the draft will be icing on the cake

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/...ng-bills-behind

The first two lines of this article had me spraying my breafast cereal all over my computer screen. Great opening, Tim, and unfortunately, all too true.

Why was Cromartie available again ?.....Does ANYONE disagress LT is done?....same with Jason Taylor.....Jets did get Holmes for a low pick but he's suspended four games and in the last year of his contract. I fear Thomas Jones more than LT- I don't think they improved I've never like Cromartie this shut down corner b.s. No one trades shut down corners and if you watch him play you realize he's not. NE has done nothing. Miami two moves were very good ones but they weren't a great team getting better.

We filled a defensive line and middle linebacker positions with solid players and got a depth player at offensive tackle so I wouldn't say we haven't played in the offseason sweepstakes. The Jets deserve credit for doing everything they have to improve their team which was very good last year, but our movement and improvement will be off the draft which is how the good teams have done it.

The other teams in the AFC East are ahead of us because they have drafted better than we have during the last three or four years (and possibly longer) not because of they have had better free agency periods.

With respect TG, I mostly disagree.

Sure, we've been turned inside out. As you mentioned, shoulda happened years ago. As for the others, I believe you and many others are suffering blurred vision from smokescreens. If it weren't for Indy laying down in the next-to-last reg. season game, Jets were as dead as their play through the season dictated. The new schedule is being delayed to combat that from happening again. They have developed strong lines (O & D), which have to respected and they have Revis. That's all I see there. Rex adds his own smoke to the illusion -much like his Dad- but they dumped their best back, DON'T have a QB (big trade to acquire Sanchez showed little/exposed much), LB is a weakness and their WR corp is no match for our secondary. We nearly swept them in their AFC Championship 'run'. And we did suck!

Fish fell hard late last year, going 2-4 down the stretch while ekeing out wins vs. NE and Jax. Dansby was very good in Az but no one believes he's worth the $$ Miami forked over. W/O ?, they need LB help. Marshall is an upgrade. An upgrade from total squat @ WR. We split with them last year w/ both winners scoring more than 30 pts.

I'd be thrilled to sweep both teams this year, but I wouldn't be shocked.

The Pats* scare me the most. They overcame a lot last season -Brady re-hab;cut/traded vets from glory days;injuries- to re-claim the division and now stand to reap huge bennies in the draft!

Oh, and they own us!

For as poor as we played many times last season, we were rarely rolled. Our new regime hasn't kicked many to the curb, hasn't gone crazy in FA and hasn't called out any players to 'step up or else!'. That tells me their assessment of returning Bills is that we're good enough to compete now and they'll add to it.

Gotta say, though, I like the piece coming from a key, respected AFCE reporter. Hopefully NY/MIA/NE players read it and get smug.. :thumbdown:

Why was Cromartie available again ?.....Does ANYONE disagress LT is done?....same with Jason Taylor.....Jets did get Holmes for a low pick but he's suspended four games and in the last year of his contract. I fear Thomas Jones more than LT- I don't think they improved I've never like Cromartie this shut down corner b.s. No one trades shut down corners and if you watch him play you realize he's not. NE has done nothing. Miami two moves were very good ones but they weren't a great team getting better.

Remember that Cromartie only has to shut down opposing #2 WRs; he won't have to worry about Moss, Evans or Holmes in the AFCE or A Johnson, Fitz, etc. in the rest of the league.

Miami making any moves only puts them further ahead of the Bills.

How stupid. This team never was built right to begin with and Nix has said it a million times, we are going to build through the DRAFT! Not with trading away a ton of picks on some 10 mill per year this or that. If anything we will dump some excess talent to get picks to fill holes.

Couldnt agree more. Seriously, did anyone expect anything more. WTH are we going to do with brandon marshall who would not only eat up cap but also required 2 2nd round picks. The Bills are rebuilding...the other teams in the AFCE are not. This is the sole reason why McNabb was not a good fit here and why I did not want him.

The Bills will be vastly improved simply by changing regimes and getting healthy. We had, what, 20 guys on IR at the end of the year, including half of the starting defensive backfield, 2 of the 3 starting linebackers, most of the OL. Maybin was out of place, so having him in the right position is like having a free number one draft choice. Hardy is like having another number 2 pick.

Our defense was solid, and it will be better. I like our chances. Let's prove this guy wrong.

you are correct

Gailey's track record over the last 10 years of building an NFL contender through the draft have been astounding :thumbdown:

same with Buddy-

for over 50 years, he has been making the key draft decisions as the head guy

the off-season has been just so impressive, the draft will be icing on the cake

:rolleyes:

With respect TG, I mostly disagree.

Sure, we've been turned inside out. As you mentioned, shoulda happened years ago. As for the others, I believe you and many others are suffering blurred vision from smokescreens. If it weren't for Indy laying down in the next-to-last reg. season game, Jets were as dead as their play through the season dictated. The new schedule is being delayed to combat that from happening again. They have developed strong lines (O & D), which have to respected and they have Revis. That's all I see there. Rex adds his own smoke to the illusion -much like his Dad- but they dumped their best back, DON'T have a QB (big trade to acquire Sanchez showed little/exposed much), LB is a weakness and their WR corp is no match for our secondary. We nearly swept them in their AFC Championship 'run'. And we did suck!

Fish fell hard late last year, going 2-4 down the stretch while ekeing out wins vs. NE and Jax. Dansby was very good in Az but no one believes he's worth the $$ Miami forked over. W/O ?, they need LB help. Marshall is an upgrade. An upgrade from total squat @ WR. We split with them last year w/ both winners scoring more than 30 pts.

I'd be thrilled to sweep both teams this year, but I wouldn't be shocked.

The Pats* scare me the most. They overcame a lot last season -Brady re-hab;cut/traded vets from glory days;injuries- to re-claim the division and now stand to reap huge bennies in the draft!

Oh, and they own us!

For as poor as we played many times last season, we were rarely rolled. Our new regime hasn't kicked many to the curb, hasn't gone crazy in FA and hasn't called out any players to 'step up or else!'. That tells me their assessment of returning Bills is that we're good enough to compete now and they'll add to it.

Gotta say, though, I like the piece coming from a key, respected AFCE reporter. Hopefully NY/MIA/NE players read it and get smug.. :thumbdown:

As it stands right now, there should be only 1 AFC East team to make the playoffs. The Dols still aren't good enough and the Patriots have simply lost too many players and are aging at their other key spots. That leaves the Jets, who could suffer the same fate as the 2007 and 2008 Jets did. So to say the Bills won't make the playoffs, when they have a new coach and are rebuilding, is worthless.

If anything we will dump some excess talent to get picks to fill holes.

What excess talent are you referring to? The Bills are lacking in talent, not overloaded in any area. If the brooding Lynch is traded (my preference) another draft pick will have to be used to replace the departure.

You are absolutely right that the Bills are on a serious rebuilding process primarily through the draft. When you look at the competition within our own division compared to our status it is going to be at least four a to five year project.

Atleast we'll start off this year with low expectations for once. Hopefully though, all of us will be pleasantly surprised with the new look Bills squad taking the field next fall. :thumbdown:

I just don't get this. Last year we damn near split with every other team in our division? This was with a high school offense and enough guys on IR to fill a hospital wing. Yet somehow, we still almost play the other teams in this "uber" division to a tie? The Jets are a fraud, Tomlinson is ancient and the loss of Jones will hurt them. The patriots are another year older and haven't dealt with Welker's loss yet, which is arguably the largest loss in the division. The Fins addition of Edwards was nice but they still have HUGE question marks at the QB position.

Not Graham's best work.