Buddy Forewarns

"When it comes time, if we think there’s two left tackles in the draft that can come in and make an immediate impact that can play from Day 1, that’s what we expect from a top-10 choice. But we don’t always get what we want. It’s like Christmas time. You don’t always get what you’re looking for.” Buddy Nix - I think he's telling us that there are only two left tackles that get a top 10 pick grade and that they will be long gone.

Furthermore...

“Absolutely (head coach Chan Gailey will have an impact),” he said. “I think what he’s saying is we need a guy. It’d be nice to have a guy that can create points for you, field position and create ways to score.” - Buddy Nix - Sounds like Spiller to me.

A forewarning? Or just a bluff...we'll find out in one week....

GO BILLS!

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Its all posturing at this point. Not like Nix didn't know he was going to a luncheon full of reporters a week before the draft, I'm sure he had his bag o' lies all ready to go.

You are dead on. Anything said now is 100% falsehood... Nix is hoping he can get seatte or someone else to trade up to trade

I watched the whole Presser Vid and I really did not come away thinking Spiller was any more of an option than say...Derrick Morgan, or Brian Bulaga, or whoever...The Media was asking about Spiller and Nix, quite vaguely of coarse, answered...The only point he made was that Spiller would be a fit in the mix due to who The Bills already have...If you ask Me (and no one did of coarse) it was quite clear based on all the answers Nix and Modrak gave that HB is not one of the primary needs...But that does not mean they won't take one IF there is no one Graded as high as Spiller when they get to the pick, wherever they end up picking...

I came away from it with the opinion that (more than likely) it's going to be a LT or a defensive Front 7 Player...I REALLY doubt Spiller will be the pick...But I'm always wrong about these things so...Take it to the bank!!! :rolleyes:

You are dead on. Anything said now is 100% falsehood... Nix is hoping he can get seatte or someone else to trade up to trade

You really think that, if there was to be some sort of trade up being considered, that the way teams would express interest would be via some contentless press conference---or that any teams would be trying to discern what exactly Buddy could be up to with his comments?

Come on! Every team knows exactly what every other team needs and thus what their draft boards might be at this point. Any progress towards trading up or down is already ongoing with direct team to team contact and will not be part of some goofy press conference..

Contingencies have to be in place on draft day---they don't go cold-calling trading partners when they're on the clock.

I love these "it's a smoke screen" posts!

My guess is that if none of the tackles that we desire are there and Clausen is gone, then Spiller will be our pick.

I have a gut feeling that he will have a similar impact in the NFL as Chris Johnson does.

"When it comes time, if we think there’s two left tackles in the draft that can come in and make an immediate impact that can play from Day 1, that’s what we expect from a top-10 choice. But we don’t always get what we want. It’s like Christmas time. You don’t always get what you’re looking for.” Buddy Nix - I think he's telling us that there are only two left tackles that get a top 10 pick grade and that they will be long gone.

Furthermore...

“Absolutely (head coach Chan Gailey will have an impact),” he said. “I think what he’s saying is we need a guy. It’d be nice to have a guy that can create points for you, field position and create ways to score.” - Buddy Nix - Sounds like Spiller to me.

A forewarning? Or just a bluff...we'll find out in one week....

GO BILLS!

Please God!! :rolleyes: Please Don't let this be a forewarning about a Tebow pick at #9!!!!!!!!! I'm beggin ya God!!! I'm beggin ya!!!

I still wouldn't bet against LT at 9 -- at least not based on Nix's comments. While Nix did say that the scouts only have 2 guys graded as top 9, we do not know who those guys are. Assuming one of them is Okung and he is gone, we have no idea who the Bills have as the 2nd best OT. It could be Davis. It could be Williams. It could be Bulaga. This may be smoke on the part of Nix too -- as if they do wind up taking a tackle there, look for him to say that (whomever it is is) -- that is the guy that they had ranked as the #2 OT in this draft. Remember back in 2007, when they traded up for Poz and claimed that they had him ranked ahead of Willis?

I think it makes sense for the Bills to be dangling the possibility of Spiller at 9 but I'll be surprised if they take him. The draft is pretty thin at HB. Assuming he's still on the board at 9 then the Bills want their phone to start ringing. There will be other teams interested in the top back in the draft (Seattle, NYG, San Diego, maybe Cincy). It's nice to have trade options even if they don't choose to pursue them.

I also wouldn't be surprised if someone from the Buffalo front office leaked the rumor about Lynch to add some chum to the water. Especially since the person who reported it seems to be very confident in his source.

My guess is that if none of the tackles that we desire are there and Clausen is gone, then Spiller will be our pick.

I have a gut feeling that he will have a similar impact in the NFL as Chris Johnson does.

Remember all of the whining about the Byrd pick? We really didn't need another safety at the time, but we got one hell of a player and upgrade. Take a player who might turn out to be an all-pro, not necessarily an adequate/good guy who fills a need.