Our Division

Is it me, or has our division just got a little bit tougher to play in? This is a tough division when every other team in the division adds Pro Bowl Receivers. Santonio Holmes + Braylon Edwards for the jets. Randy Moss + Wes Welker for New England. Now Brandon Marshall with Miami. Thank goodness we have a good secondary, but not good enough to guard these guys all the time. To make matters worse, Our Best receiver has not made it to a pro bowl and has not really racked up the yards in recent years. We have a lot of holes to fill: QB, Possibly RB, OT, DL, LB and now a second receiver spot. Who is going to be the receiver? Chad Jackson. God I hope not. Buddy, Hope you know what your doing cause the road to glory looks like a steep one. very steep.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it me, or has our division just got a little bit tougher to play in? This is a tough division when every other team in the division adds Pro Bowl Receivers. Santonio Holmes + Braylon Edwards for the jets. Randy Moss + Wes Welker for New England. Now Brandon Marshall with Miami. Thank goodness we have a good secondary, but not good enough to guard these guys all the time. To make matters worse, Our Best receiver has not made it to a pro bowl and has not really racked up the yards in recent years. We have a lot of holes to fill: QB, Possibly RB, OT, DL, LB and now a second receiver spot. Who is going to be the receiver? Chad Jackson. God I hope not. Buddy, Hope you know what your doing cause the road to glory looks like a steep one. very steep.

Buddy Nix: "We're not going to do anything in FA."

I don't know why this is such a shock. The man said as much before the offseason started.

Buddy Nix: "We're not going to do anything in FA."

I don't know why this is such a shock. The man said as much before the offseason started.

No SHI# Sherlock, but that does not mean that it is the right decision. You cannot solve all your problems in the draft. You tend to miss on a couple of guys and some guys don't prove to be useful for a couple of years. Expecting to hit on all of them right away is like asking for a miracle to happen. We have lots of holes. Getting a couple of quality free agents helps. Believe me

1. Build FO up

2. Put together coaching staff and schemes

3. Assess talent on team

4. Build through the draft

5 Play young talent in new schemes

.....and once above is accomplished

6.Aquire FA talent to compliment the core of your team

The Bills haven't been able to follow the formula over the last ten years. Who cares what the Phins and Jests are doing?

1. Build FO up

3. Assess talent on team

The Bills haven't been able to follow the formula over the last ten years. Who cares what the Phins and Jests are doing?

Great post! I wish more people understood this.

1. Build FO up

3. Assess talent on team

You hit it right on the head. Hope everyone reads this post and pays attention. This is exactly the plan Nix laid out, and so far they are sticking to the plan. I for one wholeheartedly agree with Nix.

Well the Bills quite frankly know that next year is a breeding ground for their future. The other teams in the division are going balls out this year to get in a SB before a possible lockout. The Bills are going to try and add pieces via the draft plug holes in free agency with low cost high reward type talents.

If the Bills can find a LT and a NT in this years draft as well as find another starter some where in the mid to late rounds. If we can get 3 key starters from this draft plus develop 2-3 starters from the roster we already have I say this season set our future up nicely.

Then we go into next years draft with less holes and hopefully we can make some plays in free agency to further beef up the roster.

Chalk this next season up as house money.

1. Build FO up

3. Assess talent on team

You could argue that your plan was exactly the plan that Marv Levy/Russ Brandon followed in adding Dick Jauron. Was 4 years not enough time to realize that this wasn't working? Jauron got to stage 5 before he was sacked...unless you count Terrell Owens as the begining of stage 6...

So, Pusher of the Pile, sage one...what is a reasonable amount of time for us to notice positive results in this "new" plan...

how much more "built" does the front office have to be? Should we wait, a year for each phase of the process, laid out by you, to see results? It seems like other franchises, at least on occasion, net quicker results. Some franchises have managed to do two things in one offseason... but, I know, that is expecting too much... :w00t:

You could argue that your plan was exactly the plan that Marv Levy/Russ Brandon followed in adding Dick Jauron. Was 4 years not enough time to realize that this wasn't working? Jauron got to stage 5 before he was sacked...unless you count Terrell Owens as the begining of stage 6...

So, Pusher of the Pile, sage one...what is a reasonable amount of time for us to notice positive results in this "new" plan...

how much more "built" does the front office have to be? Should we wait, a year for each phase of the process, laid out by you, to see results? It seems like other franchises, at least on occasion, net quicker results. Some franchises have managed to do two things in one offseason... but, I know, that is expecting too much... :w00t:

its steps 4 and 5 that come down to the FO and Coaches performing. Something that the Jauron era did not do well. They built from the outside in instead of starting in the trenches, with poor personnel choices, and then failed to come up with any kind of original game plan, if you can even call playing to not lose a game plan.

what Push was pointing out was the order of doing things, and that we are only at step 3, with step 4 coming next week. We're still a couple years of winning away from being able to attract any big name FA, or even to be able to pull off a McNabb or Marshall type trade.

btw, great post Push, nailed it.

its steps 4 and 5 that come down to the FO and Coaches performing. Something that the Jauron era did not do well. They built from the outside in instead of starting in the trenches, with poor personnel choices, and then failed to come up with any kind of original game plan, if you can even call playing to not lose a game plan.

what Push was pointing out was the order of doing things, and that we are only at step 3, with step 4 coming next week. We're still a couple years of winning away from being able to attract any big name FA, or even to be able to pull off a McNabb or Marshall type trade.

btw, great post Push, nailed it.

Other than Dick Jauron getting a pink slip, I am still not sure how so many here are blown away by what Buddy Nix and Chan Gailey have done so far. I am coming around to Gailey, because he seems like a football coach...and I like the Doug Whaley hiring, if only, that it shows some progressive thinking by the franchise...but, talent wise, this is still a pretty bad roster, and the free agents they have signed, with the possible exception of Andra Davis, are not much to get too excited about...in fact, I wouldn't be shocked if most weren't even on the opening day squad... I know it is early, we haven't even had the draft yet, but I guess I am sort of envious of those who can still convince themselves, with no results, that the Bills are heading in the right direction... we now have our third consecutive rooke GM, an experienced, but underwhelming new head coach, and we are adding a bunch of stiffs from other rosters (and some that weren't even on other rosters)... it certainly feels like deja vu all over again.

So now, we have he draft, and have to wait three years to see how that goes...just because adding free agents doesn't always work, it is no reason the Bills should be so non-active. Every free agent, or disgruntled player on another team isn't useless....

This is not a great team...it can use a lot more help than it is getting. If teams like Cleveland can attract free agents, and "make things happen" in the personnel department, why can't the Bills? So many like to act as though other teams are foolish for being agressive in acquiring talent, as if the Bills have tapped into some great, tried and true, formula for winning...

I have to echo this sentiment. We were reading posts like this a decade ago. Lets get younger... strip the roster down... rebuild with young talent in the draft, etc. No one is saying that's not of virtue to the team, but come on... this is all bull shiznat at this point. Teams are going from last place to winning the division from one year to the next. During this same period of futility for our beloved Bills, teams have gone from 3-13 to winning Super Bowls the next season. There's no reason to sit here and be satisfied with more rebuilding and a refusal to be a contender as quickly as possible. I'm not suggesting taking the Washington route and getting all the wrong pieces... but I'm also not accepting an effort that takes 3-4 years at best to build up a contender. I mean hell we're soon going to have a generation of Bills fans who have never seen the playoffs.

1. Build FO up

3. Assess talent on team

I understand that the plan was set out for us to see. And yes the FO is going by that plan, but if a guy fits your scheme and is available in Free Agency that helps you get to your goal, Why not get him, Right? The Defense was switched to a 3-4. We don't know if Schoebel is here next year, We will likely need guys along the defensive line. How many picks do you think it will take? We have backup roles to fill, not just starting ones. On Offense, we need more than a handful of guys too. We need a O-Line, and yes you can address that in the draft, but you will need a couple O-lineman, another Receiver or two. A quality TE. The list goes on. And if you havent noticed, we need quality players. Not just guys that are here taking up space. This obviously will take a couple of years. but I'm pissed that year after year the only Pro-Bowl guy we have is our punter. Come on now. We need to build this thing faster than your estimations show. Also, moves like last year (TO) sparked the marketing side of things. Whats the plan this year? Getting Tebow? Come on, I like the guy, but will he be ready to lead this team this year or next. The jury is out. some say 3-4 years.

1. Build FO up

3. Assess talent on team

You forgot:

7. Hope that 70 is the new 50 for football guys.

how much more "built" does the front office have to be? Should we wait, a year for each phase of the process, laid out by you, to see results? It seems like other franchises, at least on occasion, net quicker results. Some franchises have managed to do two things in one offseason... but, I know, that is expecting too much... :thumbsup:

The formula I posted is no revelation to even the casual fan. Buddy Nix is just one of many NFL minds that have publicly laid it out for us. It might have faltered for Marv and Company but alot of things have failed over the years.

Your questions:

1. What is a reasonable amount of time for us to notice positive results? Positive results should be seen in year two, IMO. A team should be a playoff contender by year 3.

2. How much more built does the FO have to be? I think it's all set, but we all knew that.

3. Should we wait a year for each phase of the process, laid out by you, to see results? Each phase of the process doesn't take a year but we all knew that. The process was laid out by Buddy Nix and I was just repeating it for the impatient. The process must go in order, if thats what you are asking.

4. Some franchises manage to do two things in one offseason and at least on occasion net quicker results. I didn't know the results for the 2010 season were in already? Just because you didn't recognize the names of the players the Bills brought in this offseason doesn't mean it wasn't an effective FA period. Who were you hoping for? The team has accomplished more than two things this offseason, but we all knew that.

I understand that the plan was set out for us to see. And yes the FO is going by that plan, but if a guy fits your scheme and is available in Free Agency that helps you get to your goal, Why not get him, Right? The Defense was switched to a 3-4. We don't know if Schoebel is here next year, We will likely need guys along the defensive line. How many picks do you think it will take? We have backup roles to fill, not just starting ones. On Offense, we need more than a handful of guys too. We need a O-Line, and yes you can address that in the draft, but you will need a couple O-lineman, another Receiver or two. A quality TE. The list goes on. And if you havent noticed, we need quality players. Not just guys that are here taking up space. This obviously will take a couple of years. but I'm pissed that year after year the only Pro-Bowl guy we have is our punter. Come on now. We need to build this thing faster than your estimations show. Also, moves like last year (TO) sparked the marketing side of things. Whats the plan this year? Getting Tebow? Come on, I like the guy, but will he be ready to lead this team this year or next. The jury is out. some say 3-4 years.

The Bills did fill a few holes with FAs. They weren't splashy names but a couple good football players that fit our new schemes.

Other than Dick Jauron getting a pink slip, I am still not sure how so many here are blown away by what Buddy Nix and Chan Gailey have done so far. I am coming around to Gailey, because he seems like a football coach...and I like the Doug Whaley hiring, if only, that it shows some progressive thinking by the franchise...but, talent wise, this is still a pretty bad roster, and the free agents they have signed, with the possible exception of Andra Davis, are not much to get too excited about...in fact, I wouldn't be shocked if most weren't even on the opening day squad... I know it is early, we haven't even had the draft yet, but I guess I am sort of envious of those who can still convince themselves, with no results, that the Bills are heading in the right direction... we now have our third consecutive rooke GM, an experienced, but underwhelming new head coach, and we are adding a bunch of stiffs from other rosters (and some that weren't even on other rosters)... it certainly feels like deja vu all over again.

So now, we have he draft, and have to wait three years to see how that goes...just because adding free agents doesn't always work, it is no reason the Bills should be so non-active. Every free agent, or disgruntled player on another team isn't useless....

This is not a great team...it can use a lot more help than it is getting. If teams like Cleveland can attract free agents, and "make things happen" in the personnel department, why can't the Bills? So many like to act as though other teams are foolish for being agressive in acquiring talent, as if the Bills have tapped into some great, tried and true, formula for winning...

What teams cleaned up in FA this offseason? You act as if the Bills just looked the other way as other teams loaded their rosters. The Bills were in no position to overpay for one of the few really good FAs. It wouldn't have made a lick of difference going into this season and takes playing time away from younger players. The best teams in the league are made up of players they drafted and developed.

What teams cleaned up in FA this offseason? You act as if the Bills just looked the other way as other teams loaded their rosters. The Bills were in no position to overpay for one of the few really good FAs. It wouldn't have made a lick of difference going into this season and takes playing time away from younger players. The best teams in the league are made up of players they drafted and developed.

Stick with it Push! You're right on target with every post on this thread! This last entry is dead on. We should have been playing our young receivers last year and not TO and Reed. Buddy's got a plan and he's got the stones to see it through.