Is Nix that good??

JPS

And regarding Maybin...who is to day that he would not have had similar production if he played OLB for the Redskins last year? And who is to say Orakpo would have done ANYTHING as a DLE in Buffalo??

I question Nix's picks for discussion purposes, but not Maybin. At this point...you just don't know.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll buy all that. What were Nix's big hits?

In 8 years at San Diego, he drafted 12 players that made the PB at one time or another.

LaDainian Tomlinson

Drew Brees

Antonio Gates

Shawne Merriman

Marcus McNeill

Nate Kaeding (special teams)

Antonio Cromartie

Kris Dielman

Michael Turner

Luis Castillo (alternate)

Shawn Philips (alternate)

Nick Hardwick (back up)

That doesn't include the Eli Manning/Phillip Rivers pick(s). I might have forgotten one or 2.

Only LT, Merriman and Cromartie were 1st round picks.

He did pretty well in San Diego.

In 8 years at San Diego, he drafted 12 players that made the PB at one time or another.

LaDainian Tomlinson

Drew Brees

Antonio Gates

Shawne Merriman

Marcus McNeill

Nate Kaeding (special teams)

Antonio Cromartie

Kris Dielman

Michael Turner

Luis Castillo (alternate)

Shawn Philips (alternate)

Nick Hardwick (back up)

That doesn't include the Eli Manning/Phillip Rivers pick(s). I might have forgotten one or 2.

Only LT, Merriman and Cromartie were 1st round picks.

He did pretty well in San Diego.

Well, let's not forget that Butler was the Gm into 03 and AJ Smith is the current GM. After '04, his voice was certainly louder. I'm not trying to kill Buddy Nix. I'm trying to evaluate his body of work to see where he might go this year.

Bill Walsh traded up to get JJ Stokes and took Jim Drunkenmiller as the heir apparent in SF...every GM, bad, solid, good, great, or legendary has more misses on his resume than hits...thats the nature of the game. What seperates the greats from weak are the ones who can find value in the draft every year. They will have more misses than hits, but its the qulaity of the hits that make them effective GM's...

What he said. :lol:

How do you know he was a miss? He played one season where he held out and was behind from the get go. How do you know he wont excel this year with more weight and playing from a position much much more suited for his style and size? Anyone who calls Maybin a bust at this point is jumping the gun and a little bit foolish in my eyes, especially given the opportunity he will have this year.

And to call our draft slot a "gimme pick" is about the dumbest thing I have ever seen about any draft slot. No pick, not even the first pick, is ever a gimme pick. Many many times the CONSENSUS #1 overall pick, the slam dunk guy of the draft turns out to be a complete bust. That list is a mile long...

Buffalo grabbing 4 quality starters out of its first 5 picks is a tremendous draft, especially considering one of those looks potentially like a pro bowler (Byrd) and the one not yet a major impact (Maybin) still has a lots of potential especially in a new system that fits his game much better than what he was asked to do last year.

New England Pets* recent draft history; First three picks of the drafts.

Round

1. Jerod Mayo - Pro Bowler

2. Terrence Wheatley - In two seasons has 4 tackles and two passes defensed with one start.

3. Shawn Crable - Hasn't played a single down

Round

1. Brandon Merriweather - Starter

4. Kareem Brown - Tennessee Titans

5. Clint Oldenburg - Washington Redskins

Round

1. Laurence Maroney - Has started 14 games

2. Chad Jackson - Buffalo Bills

3. David Thomas - Saints

Round

1. Logan Mankins - Started every game since being drafted

3. Ellis Hobbs - Philadelphia Eagles

3. Nick Kaczur - Has started 62 out of a possible 80 games

I think that shows how good teams can miss a lot on draft choices.

In wondering what new GMs will do in this year's draft, I was checking into what they did with their old clubs. Take a look at what San Diego drafted on 2008 and 2007. We're all expecting great things from Mr. Nix, but Buster Davis (SEC Guy) and Antoine Cason worry me. The rest wasn't great either, including Jacob Hester in the 2nd (another SEC guy).

The other thing is..after Butler died, the Chargers drafts have gotten progressively worse. Don't be surprised if you are surprised on our draft.

I just wonder just how much input Nix had in the Chargers draft. I heard some flack that he may not have had as much

influence on who San Diego's selections as he gets credit for. I hope that he was the key figure in drafting their players

and that's just a bunch of Mularkey!! (Woops! Mularkey no pun intended..well that's another chapter for another day)..lol

Bill Walsh traded up to get JJ Stokes and took Jim Drunkenmiller as the heir apparent in SF...every GM, bad, solid, good, great, or legendary has more misses on his resume than hits...thats the nature of the game. What seperates the greats from weak are the ones who can find value in the draft every year. They will have more misses than hits, but its the qulaity of the hits that make them effective GM's...

Homer Simson moment. Ha HA Drunkenmiller :lol:

Well, let's not forget that Butler was the Gm into 03 and AJ Smith is the current GM. After '04, his voice was certainly louder. I'm not trying to kill Buddy Nix. I'm trying to evaluate his body of work to see where he might go this year.

Then stand by and judge for yourself instead of hand wringing and guessing. This upcoming draft is the first where he's the man. We're all in the same boat. Give the guy the benefit of the doubt and let him do his stuff.

Last year, Wood, Levitre & Nelson were all day 1 starters. Byrd came in later because of injuries, so 4 out of the top 5 draft picks were starters (at least at some point during the season) for the Bills last year.

that is not saying much as there were holes at these positions or a draft pick was better than the incumbent player.

Remember the Super Bowl years? How often did a rookie start, let alone make the roster?

When you have a large number of scrubs on your roster, just about any rookie is an improvement.

* and this is in no way a shot at Wood*

And regarding Maybin...who is to day that he would not have had similar production if he played OLB for the Redskins last year? And who is to say Orakpo would have done ANYTHING as a DLE in Buffalo??

I question Nix's picks for discussion purposes, but not Maybin. At this point...you just don't know.

Orakpo was a freak of nature in college, to me he was a no brainer. And then I see the Bills take a project pick in maybin who only had 1 good year. Regardless of what team they're on, comparing production, I don't even see how you could argue who the better player is...

that is not saying much as there were holes at these positions or a draft pick was better than the incumbent player.

Remember the Super Bowl years? How often did a rookie start, let alone make the roster?

When you have a large number of scrubs on your roster, just about any rookie is an improvement.

* and this is in no way a shot at Wood*

You still have to draft a good player. Look at how many busts Donahoe drafted?

I'll buy all that. What were Nix's big hits?

He was a scout for us in the late 90s and our best draft choice in that time was a player he scouted...Eric Moulds

When he came back to the Bills (I was excited to see him come back), he said that he had kept up with college fb and still had a lot of contacts at the schools he scouted (the southeastern US)...Eric Wood and Shawn Nelson came from those schools

Oh, and Nelson may have started week 1, but that was more a case of the personnel grouping we had on the field for the 1st play....Schouman was the starting TE until he went down with an injury...Derek Fine took over until his injury so Nelson wasn't the starting TE until week 11

based on history, looks like another undersized DE we plan on switching to LB who was a one year wonder in college

the dude from South Florida looks to be a lock

You still have to draft a good player. Look at how many busts Donahoe drafted?

Donahoe drafted busts, and Mike Williams was about as big as they come. But his track record in his first four years was better than Dick Levy Smithers who whiffed more often than not as well.

TD 01-04: Clements, Schobel, McGahee, Kelsay, Crowell, McGee, Evans

DLS 06-09: Whitner, McCargo, K. Williams, Lynch, Posluszny, Edwards, McKelvin, Hardy, Ellis, Maybin, Wood, Byrd, Levitre

The 09 class needs time, but drafting good guards and safeties isn't hard. TD found a couple of decent starters at hard to find positions like DE, CB, and WR.

based on history, looks like another undersized DE we plan on switching to LB who was a one year wonder in college

the dude from South Florida looks to be a lock

?

Do you mean Derrick Morgan? The guy that Chansaw recruited and can be a defensive end in the 3-4? The guy that TSN's War Room rates as the third best player in the draft? He's 266 now but has played at over 280. The guy isn't going to be an OLB.

?

Do you mean Derrick Morgan? The guy that Chansaw recruited and can be a defensive end in the 3-4? The guy that TSN's War Room rates as the third best player in the draft? He's 266 now but has played at over 280. The guy isn't going to be an OLB.

uh - no

that would be Jason Pierre-Paul

Last year, Wood, Levitre & Nelson were all day 1 starters. Byrd came in later because of injuries, so 4 out of the top 5 draft picks were starters (at least at some point during the season) for the Bills last year.

They might have been starters by default, none of them were any good except Byrd, and either he was incredibly lucky or unbelievable talented. We will soon see this season.

Not one of the strongest arguments I've seen on this board. What years did you attend Happy Valley ?

Yea, people like to forget we found 4 starters for a long time in last years draft, and that does not include our 1st round pick. That is really damn good.

You have to find good players, not just players good enough to start given your existing roster. Wood and Levitre played ok for rookies. But they don't grade on a curve in the NFL. They were 2/5's of an offensive line that couldn't move the ball in the air or on the ground. They need to take a big step forward this year and continue to get better or we will be looking to replace them soon enough.