Is Nix that good??

JPS

In wondering what new GMs will do in this year's draft, I was checking into what they did with their old clubs. Take a look at what San Diego drafted on 2008 and 2007. We're all expecting great things from Mr. Nix, but Buster Davis (SEC Guy) and Antoine Cason worry me. The rest wasn't great either, including Jacob Hester in the 2nd (another SEC guy).

The other thing is..after Butler died, the Chargers drafts have gotten progressively worse. Don't be surprised if you are surprised on our draft.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In wondering what new GMs will do in this year's draft, I was checking into what they did with their old clubs. Take a look at what San Diego drafted on 2008 and 2007. We're all expecting great things from Mr. Nix, but Buster Davis (SEC Guy) and Antoine Cason worry me. The rest wasn't great either, including Jacob Hester in the 2nd (another SEC guy).

The other thing is..after Butler died, the Chargers drafts have gotten progressively worse. Don't be surprised if you are surprised on our draft.

http://www.realfootball365.com/articles/bills/14820

After Nix's pal Schottenheimer was fired at the end of the 2006 season, Nix retired at that time instead of getting fired. Nix was with the Chargers from 2001-2006.

http://www.realfootball365.com/articles/bills/14820

After Nix's pal Schottenheimer was fired at the end of the 2006 season, Nix retired at that time instead of getting fired. Nix was with the Chargers from 2001-2006.

I read that article on RF365, I'd say Nix did a great job in help turning a 1-15 Chargers team to a 14-2 team in his last season there.

How dare you question the only thing some of us have to hang our hats on!!!!

Is Nix good? Nix is the best GM EVER, and we were just fortunate enough to find him.......um........unemployed.....and bring him in as a scout...........and then promote him to GM.

Go BILLS!!!

This poor guy has his work cut out for him. I just hope he has luck on his side.

Nix retired from the Chargers following the 2008 draft...

I read that he was with the Chargers in '08 as well. And I don't mean to piss in Cheerios, but I'm just sick of talking about Evans, Lynch, Tebow and Clausen.

I've been reading about Nix, Pete Carroll, Holmgren and yes, even Al Davis. I saw SD drafting Buster Davis and Jacob Hester and it told me 2 things:

1. Nix knows how to sell his guy in the war room; and

2. Nix had a few misses on his resume.

Let's hope Whaley and Modrak are competent and compete better in the war room. I don't want to hear who Modrak wanted over the last few years. If he doesn't have the conviction to sell his guy, then what good is he??

Last year, Wood, Levitre & Nelson were all day 1 starters. Byrd came in later because of injuries, so 4 out of the top 5 draft picks were starters (at least at some point during the season) for the Bills last year.

Yea, people like to forget we found 4 starters for a long time in last years draft, and that does not include our 1st round pick. That is really damn good.

So does Bill Polian, but I'd like to have him back. :lol:

There appears to have been something of a power struggle between AJ and Nix in 2008, so who knows if Smith made the picks and Buddy said adios to this...

Yea, people like to forget we found 4 starters for a long time in last years draft, and that does not include our 1st round pick. That is really damn good.

Yeah, too bad they need to do it again this year and next year for us to be competitive.

Except that they missed on their top pick, a gimme pick, a player that could have been a foundation for years to come.

I read that he was with the Chargers in '08 as well. And I don't mean to piss in Cheerios, but I'm just sick of talking about Evans, Lynch, Tebow and Clausen.

I've been reading about Nix, Pete Carroll, Holmgren and yes, even Al Davis. I saw SD drafting Buster Davis and Jacob Hester and it told me 2 things:

1. Nix knows how to sell his guy in the war room; and

Let's hope Whaley and Modrak are competent and compete better in the war room. I don't want to hear who Modrak wanted over the last few years. If he doesn't have the conviction to sell his guy, then what good is he??

Bill Walsh traded up to get JJ Stokes and took Jim Drunkenmiller as the heir apparent in SF...every GM, bad, solid, good, great, or legendary has more misses on his resume than hits...thats the nature of the game. What seperates the greats from weak are the ones who can find value in the draft every year. They will have more misses than hits, but its the qulaity of the hits that make them effective GM's...

Except that they missed on their top pick, a gimme pick, a player that could have been a foundation for years to come.

How do you know he was a miss? He played one season where he held out and was behind from the get go. How do you know he wont excel this year with more weight and playing from a position much much more suited for his style and size? Anyone who calls Maybin a bust at this point is jumping the gun and a little bit foolish in my eyes, especially given the opportunity he will have this year.

And to call our draft slot a "gimme pick" is about the dumbest thing I have ever seen about any draft slot. No pick, not even the first pick, is ever a gimme pick. Many many times the CONSENSUS #1 overall pick, the slam dunk guy of the draft turns out to be a complete bust. That list is a mile long...

Buffalo grabbing 4 quality starters out of its first 5 picks is a tremendous draft, especially considering one of those looks potentially like a pro bowler (Byrd) and the one not yet a major impact (Maybin) still has a lots of potential especially in a new system that fits his game much better than what he was asked to do last year.

How do you know he was a miss? He played one season where he held out and was behind from the get go. How do you know he wont excel this year with more weight and playing from a position much much more suited for his style and size? Anyone who calls Maybin a bust at this point is jumping the gun and a little bit foolish in my eyes, especially given the opportunity he will have this year.

Call it a hunch.

Buffalo grabbing 4 quality starters out of its first 5 picks is a tremendous draft, especially considering one of those looks potentially like a pro bowler (Byrd) and the one not yet a major impact (Maybin) still has a lots of potential especially in a new system that fits his game much better than what he was asked to do last year.

The term "gimme pick" is relative here. I lost my mind when they didn't draft Orakpo who was the easy selection. Oher would have been a good consolation and certainly not a reach while filling a need. If that's the dumbest thing you've heard in the last five minutes on this board, much less your entire life, then you've been living in a box.

Way to sugar coat ("not yet a major impact") a disastrous rookie campaign for a guy who likely wouldn't have gone till the end of the first (if that) otherwise. When he bulked up to a normal NFL weight from his adolescent 235 lbs. and ran a 4.8 40 at the combine that should have been a red flag. Especially after one good season against teams like Temple and Coastal Carolina.

Bill Walsh traded up to get JJ Stokes and took Jim Drunkenmiller as the heir apparent in SF...every GM, bad, solid, good, great, or legendary has more misses on his resume than hits...thats the nature of the game. What seperates the greats from weak are the ones who can find value in the draft every year. They will have more misses than hits, but its the qulaity of the hits that make them effective GM's...

I'll buy all that. What were Nix's big hits?