anybody know any treatments for moles or vole?

zevo

I live next to a field, where they've invaded my yard from time to time. I declared war on the bastards over the years. I've used traps, which occassionally spear them. I've used a hose to flood them out, which works sometimes; they are ugly things. The most effective thing I've used is a prodect called Mole Med. It won't kill them, but it's a high level of castor oil. You spray it on the lawn and then soak it in. The castor oil coats worm, bugs, and grubs. When the moles eat them, it upsets their stomachs and the castor oil burns their eyes, so they go somewhere else. It may take a little time, but it works.

Bastards tearin up the backyard.... :doh:

IIRC, you can use poisons on voles. But moles eat bugs.

For moles, I've used the castor oil sprays with some success:

http://www.fertilome.com/ProductFiles/Molego%2010317.pdf

After applications over a few years, I had success. And funny as it seems, I followed some advice and stuck $1 pinwheels around the property - when they spin, they set up a subtle vibration that they say bothers the moles. I also tried the smoke bombs - not effective, but fun to use.

Anyway, I eradicated them in the main...they prefer my neighbors now. :thumbsup:

The definitive cure is to trap 'em and bash 'em.

Link to a nationally-syndicated garden radio show, Ron Wilson's,originating in WKRC 550 radio in Cincinnati. Airs at 6 AM:

http://www.ronwilsononline.com/pages/ronW_...article=2140188

My yard seems to be destroyed with them for the last few years. I have found the only way to get rid of them is to kill them. Don't waste time and money trying to "annoy" them away with the sonic disruptors or bubble gum or other old school nonsense.

I use this product called TOMCAT you can get at Lowe's HD, etc. It comes in little gummy worms that you put in their active tunnels. It has bromethalin which can really cause problems in domestic animals so make sure your dog doesn't try and eat it (like my doofus did). It seems to work well enough for me, but it's kind of expenisve. The good news is that a little goes a long way and you can cut the worms up into smaller pieces to make it last longer. And you can see when they take it too, so you know it's working!

Man I forgot all about moles! Our yard used to have mole mounds all over the place when I was a kid. I didn't mind 'em at the time because they made perfect kicking tees for the pickup football games! :devil:

Yeah as an adult I can understand your frustration though! My dad used the TOMCAT stuff a couple years ago and seemed to be pleased with the results.

Neighbor's cat took care of mine and my other neighbor's mole problem.

I would much rather have moles than a cat. My neighbor's cat is one more crap in my landscaping away from getting introduced to my dog. Not sure if he would kill it or not, but he's taken out several big woodchucks and rabbits that wandered into my fenced in yard. Why do some people think it is OK to let their cats dig holes and use other people's mulch as a litter box?