CNNSI.com

Haven't seen this posted here. It's pretty much just an embellishment of reports that Clausen visited and met with the Bills at OBD. No indication the Bills are doing anything more than due diligence, but obviously the media is going to stir things up.

Link

Haven't seen this posted here. It's pretty much just an embellishment of reports that Clausen visited and met with the Bills at OBD. No indication the Bills are doing anything more than due diligence, but obviously the media is going to stir things up.

Link

Reading the comments after that article ...makes me so sad for the state of things for this franchise:

"Clausen?? What a thought. The Bills have problems. As much as I would like to give Nixon and Gailey the benefit of doubt in trying to turn this around. It seems some thing is not right in the organzation. The Bills could have went after McNabb in a trade. Could have signed Delhomme, or Bulgar as free agents. Any of which would have been an upgrade to the QB spot. The Ravens have a tackle that they could have traded for. Flozell Adams is a free agent. A proven All Pro OT and they do not go after him. They could trade a number 2 pick and some thing else to get Edwards from the Broncos. With all that said, they could have turned around the offense and still have the #9 pick in the draft. All these possibilities and yet nothing is being done. The Bills need a tackle. That is the first need. It will be another losing season for the Bills unless a major move is made. "

No salary cap and we sat on our hands throughout the entire FA period. McNabb didn't want to play here...Cowher sure as sh-t didnt want to coach here.....Shanny too (the skins are getting healthier through some very smart moves)....

I see a lot of posts as if we have things to be excited about...that's why I love the fans here....they love their franchise so much....and deserve a much better product....and their owner is fukng this up in every way, shape and form.

U Fans Rock....stop attacking each other on these boards....you are not the problem.

Reading the comments after that article ...makes me so sad for the state of things for this franchise:

"Clausen?? What a thought. The Bills have problems. As much as I would like to give Nixon and Gailey the benefit of doubt in trying to turn this around. It seems some thing is not right in the organzation. The Bills could have went after McNabb in a trade. Could have signed Delhomme, or Bulgar as free agents. Any of which would have been an upgrade to the QB spot. The Ravens have a tackle that they could have traded for. Flozell Adams is a free agent. A proven All Pro OT and they do not go after him. They could trade a number 2 pick and some thing else to get Edwards from the Broncos. With all that said, they could have turned around the offense and still have the #9 pick in the draft. All these possibilities and yet nothing is being done. The Bills need a tackle. That is the first need. It will be another losing season for the Bills unless a major move is made. "

No salary cap and we sat on our hands throughout the entire FA period. McNabb didn't want to play here...Cowher sure as sh-t didnt want to coach here.....Shanny too (the skins are getting healthier through some very smart moves)....

I see a lot of posts as if we have things to be excited about...that's why I love the fans here....they love their franchise so much....and deserve a much better product....and their owner is fukng this up in every way, shape and form.

U Fans Rock....stop attacking each other on these boards....you are not the problem.

Yeah it's been a sow season but the moves they have made have been solid maybe not spectacular. The moves you mentionned above would have given me heartburn not made me flip for joy. The only one I still find intriqing is the Gaither situation. Keep in mind there's lots of time left before football really starts. Once the draft is in we will probably see if any of the remaining free agents are needed.

The entire bold part of that post is simply incorrect and uninformed. The Bills did try to trade for McNabb and even offered him an extension. He wanted to play for a division rival so he could stick it to Philly twice a year (a la Favre) AND stay in a major market. It wasnt up to us. Delhomme and Bulger are no better than the QBs we have on the team currently. And Flozell Adams wants to be overpaid for crappy play and he'll be a cancer in the locker room.

There isn't a whole lot they CAN do in free agency this year, given the talent pool and the high cost for low talent in that pool. There hasnt been any other FA moves made by other teams that made me say "Why didn't the Bills do that?", the only thing I was disappointed by was the McNabb trade, but again, that wasn't up to us.

The second bold part contradicts his own point. Says the Bills did nothing, but then says those guys didnt want to come here. If we made offers and they simply didnt want to come to Buffalo, how is that sitting on our hands?

what else can they do? any ideas or suggestions would be welcomed.

Link

And the Bills MAY want to draft Tebow, too. I could have said that. (not a shot at you, Union...just at the quality reporting done by SI)

With that said, I'm all for a 4th QB to come in and compete for the job. I just wish the pundits would stop thinking it'll be a first-round QB.

The entire bold part of that post is simply incorrect and uninformed. The Bills did try to trade for McNabb and even offered him an extension. He wanted to play for a division rival so he could stick it to Philly twice a year (a la Favre) AND stay in a major market. It wasnt up to us. Delhomme and Bulger are no better than the QBs we have on the team currently. And Flozell Adams wants to be overpaid for crappy play and he'll be a cancer in the locker room.

There isn't a whole lot they CAN do in free agency this year, given the talent pool and the high cost for low talent in that pool. There hasnt been any other FA moves made by other teams that made me say "Why didn't the Bills do that?", the only thing I was disappointed by was the McNabb trade, but again, that wasn't up to us.

The second bold part contradicts his own point. Says the Bills did nothing, but then says those guys didnt want to come here. If we made offers and they simply didnt want to come to Buffalo, how is that sitting on our hands?

what else can they do? any ideas or suggestions would be welcomed.

All good points my man....not to be argumentative

I think its the sheer lack of moves..and a flat uncommunicative style of management here..especially in teh wake of the DJ disaster.

Say what you want about the Jets...they're drafting well and theire filling in needs with moves...owner is committed and out of the way...that fat s.o.b Ryan got me excited about football when he took over there...man did his players rally around his energey....we NEED that here!!!!

coaches excited to coach...yelling and screaming in the players faces - high fiving, players excited to return this franchise to something to be proud of....My dream is Tebow falls to us at 41 and he spends the next 15 years paying back the rest of the league for not having him as their #1.....I said "dream" ...

We need a shot of life here....BIGTIME......the fans of the rest of the league can see it.

We have had such a sh-tty run and it starts with the ownership.....everything else discussed on this board, while worthy, is simply downstream after-effects. Al Davis and Ralph need to call it a career.

All good points my man....not to be argumentative

I think its the sheer lack of moves..and a flat uncommunicative style of management here..especially in teh wake of the DJ disaster.

Say what you want about the Jets...they're drafting well and theire filling in needs with moves...owner is committed and out of the way...that fat s.o.b Ryan got me excited about football when he took over there...man did his players rally around his energey....we NEED that here!!!!

coaches excited to coach...yelling and screaming in the players faces - high fiving, players excited to return this franchise to something to be proud of....My dream is Tebow falls to us at 41 and he spends the next 15 years paying back the rest of the league for not having him as their #1.....I said "dream" ...

We need a shot of life here....BIGTIME......the fans of the rest of the league can see it.

We have had such a sh-tty run and it starts with the ownership.....everything else discussed on this board, while worthy, is simply downstream after-effects. Al Davis and Ralph need to call it a career.

agreed 100% with all your points here :unsure:

Whoever they draft I hope they make sure that the player wants to come here and isn't going to jerk us around ala Maybin. A lengthy hold out is the last thing we need.

PTR

Agreed, they should have a guarantee whomever will show up DAY 1. Sign them immediately tired of the merrygoround of NFL draft picks. I hate NBA but look how fast with a rookie cap that people are in camp

The Bills could have went after McNabb in a trade.

Or they could have gone after him... oh wait, they did.

Could have signed Delhomme, or Bulgar as free agents. Any of which would have been an upgrade to the QB spot.

Still could get Bulger. I like Delhomme, but $7 million for a 35 yr old w/ ?s as to the health of his arm isn't exactly a no-brainer signing.

The Ravens have a tackle that they could have traded for.

Just b/c it floats around the rumor mill doesn't make it so. And if it is true, why aren't all the other teams who need LTs all over it?

Flozell Adams is a free agent. A proven All Pro OT and they do not go after him.

They could trade a number 2 pick and some thing else to get Edwards from the Broncos.

I'd like to see Flozelle Adams brought in to patch a hole for a yr, but you don't know what they've done regarding him. And the Broncos are still asking for a 1st for Marshall, and if it the Bills jump into that they'll be bidding against the Seahawks and the price likely goes back up to a 1st. Not as simple as it sounds.

I'm skeptical of the way the new regime has failed to make the necessary changes in trade or free agency, but they still have the draft. I'm witholding my judgement however to see whether they win nine or more games next year. If they do...wonderful and they will seem to be on the right track. If they don't...we had better be looking for someone a little more aggressive in finding quality personnel.

I'm skeptical of the way the new regime has failed to make the necessary changes in trade or free agency, but they still have the draft. I'm witholding my judgement however to see whether they win nine or more games next year. If they do...wonderful and they will seem to be on the right track. If they don't...we had better be looking for someone a little more aggressive in finding quality personnel.

The idea of giving a coach and FO 1 season to turn around 10 yrs of dysfunction and sorry drafting is brilliant. That's worked out for...

...well hell, I don't know who it's ever worked out for, but it sounds like a hell of an idea. I'm for it.

Or they could have gone after him... oh wait, they did.

Still could get Bulger. I like Delhomme, but $7 million for a 35 yr old w/ ?s as to the health of his arm isn't exactly a no-brainer signing.

Just b/c it floats around the rumor mill doesn't make it so. And if it is true, why aren't all the other teams who need LTs all over it?

I'd like to see Flozelle Adams brought in to patch a hole for a yr, but you don't know what they've done regarding him. And the Broncos are still asking for a 1st for Marshall, and if it the Bills jump into that they'll be bidding against the Seahawks and the price likely goes back up to a 1st. Not as simple as it sounds.

I hear ya man...there's misinformation, rationale and risks to every single move.....thats the game

The thing is.....we don't make ANY moves...you would think we would have targeted ONE marquee free agent to address ONE of our needs....not a T.O. PR stunt....a top quality player with upside left to fill ONE NEED.

We signed some B and C grade free agents that may pan out but, besides our 9 and 41, there's nothing that we can point to that takes one of our many needs right out of play so we can zero-in on the draft for other needs.

This offseason pre-draft....is worth a D+

Maybe we strikle some brilliant deals in the draft and get all our players we need. I have hope as I am sure you do too.

The idea of giving a coach and FO 1 season to turn around 10 yrs of dysfunction and sorry drafting is brilliant. That's worked out for...

...well hell, I don't know who it's ever worked out for, but it sounds like a hell of an idea. I'm for it.

Falcons........Saints......Cards maybe

If the Bills can be a contender by next year's playoffs, then I think the F.O. has done it's job. I'd love to see a Rex Ryan type of turn around here - in one season (and, I think we could make our defense that good this year - but, I can't see us doing that and fixing our O-line and getting a QB). I think they can either fix our offense or fix our defense, or add to both and try to put them both together next year. Personally, I'd be fine with fixing the offense this year and waiting for next year to sure up the defense. Or vice versa.

I hear ya man...there's misinformation, rationale and risks to every single move.....thats the game

The thing is.....we don't make ANY moves...you would think we would have targeted ONE marquee free agent to address ONE of our needs....not a T.O. PR stunt....a top quality player with upside left to fill ONE NEED.

We signed some B and C grade free agents that may pan out but, besides our 9 and 41, there's nothing that we can point to that takes one of our many needs right out of play so we can zero-in on the draft for other needs.

Maybe we strikle some brilliant deals in the draft and get all our players we need. I have hope as I am sure you do too.

I'm all for bringing in new talent, and I don't have any feelings about the staff one way or the other. But who is this anybody? You gave what's presumably your best list of missed opportunities and there wasn't much there. I'm not going to prop these guys up for a great offseason right now, but I'm not going to denigrate them for not making a big splash in a very shallow free agent pool either.

I'm all for bringing in new talent, and I don't have any feelings about the staff one way or the other. But who is this anybody? You gave what's presumably your best list of missed opportunities and there wasn't much there. I'm not going to prop these guys up for a great offseason right now, but I'm not going to denigrate them for not making a big splash in a very shallow free agent pool either.

That list was a quote from someone on CNNSI...not me.

It just struck me as sad because it's painfully obvious to fans in all of football that we have severe issues as a franchise and we do not operate the same way as the rest of the league....which is fine as long as youre winning....which we havent done here for some time.

If I give you a list of FA's this year, you are only going to break each down and tell me why each wasnt for us, that wasnt my point. The point is that with a near-revolt from the fan base....everyone composed themselves and let the organization try to make it right......fire DJ = great start.

From there?...Can you say that they have instilled confidence in you that we are an organization that is seriously comitted to winning? Or at least one that is on the move up?

The best part of this entire franchise is the fans......and Moorman (lol). All I was saying is that reading the remarks from the different fans on the Clausen article and seeing how they view us, was tough to swallow.

Falcons........Saints......Cards maybe

the jury is still out on the Falcons. sure they arent a laughing stock after that ONE bad season, but they didnt suffer through 10 years of poor drafting and dysfunction as previously noted.

neither the saints, nor the cardinals, turned it around in one year. it's taken at least 3 years for each franchise.

Link

Edwards is lifting with WR gloves on? Seriously? I thought he was a kitty before but damn. I am hoping he is just handing plates to someone who is chalked up and really lifting the iron.

Who is Edwards from the Broncos?

gee...i guess i'm less happy with losing than you must be..but I don't consider a nine win season too much of a stretch for a team that has just had two 7-9 seasons. But maybe you want to give them four or five years to show any improvement?

the jury is still out on the Falcons. sure they arent a laughing stock after that ONE bad season, but they didnt suffer through 10 years of poor drafting and dysfunction as previously noted.

neither the saints, nor the cardinals, turned it around in one year. it's taken at least 3 years for each franchise.

The Atlanta Falcons went from a losing season to a nine win season in one year (2008 to 2009). Bwahhh....you kind of pooped the bed on that one Alex.

The cards went from a 5 win season to an 8 win season from 2006 to 2007 to divisional champs to ...

I think you'll find all of the teams he recommended went to nine win seasons...that's the criteria I set forth...not a divisional championship or the superbowl. Kind of a modest expectation in my humble opinion.

And the Bills MAY want to draft Tebow, too. I could have said that. (not a shot at you, Union...just at the quality reporting done by SI)

The Bills may Draft Clausen...

The Bills may Draft Tebow...

The Bills may Draft a LT with 9...

The Bills may trade the pick back...

I may be right atleast once... :unsure:

The Atlanta Falcons went from a losing season to a nine win season in one year (2008 to 2009). Bwahhh....you kind of pooped the bed on that one Alex.

The cards went from a 5 win season to an 8 win season from 2006 to 2007 to divisional champs to ...

I think you'll find all of the teams he recommended went to nine win seasons...that's the criteria I set forth...not a divisional championship or the superbowl. Kind of a modest expectation in my humble opinion.

i wont nitpick on the cardinals, ill give you that one. it wasnt a one year turn around, but they did finally turn around a disaster of a franchise.

the Falcons though... theyve had an owner willing to do what it takes to win. they won their division in 2004 and did not go through decades of dysfunction like the Bills have under Wilson. you say they went from a losing season to a winning season in one year, but the year before that losing season they were 8-8 and the year before that 11-5 and division champs... so the foundation has been there.

we havent had a foundation on this team since last millennium.

The Bills may Draft Clausen...

The Bills may Draft Tebow...

The Bills may Draft a LT with 9...

The Bills may trade the pick back...

I may be right atleast once... :unsure:

(It may not) but it could be as simple as this....

The Chiefs are true to their word. They don't take a safety high and draft Bulaga...then there is a good chance the Browns take Berry with number 7 and Clausen drops to the Bills.

OR

The Chiefs actually take Berry, the Browns don't pass on Clausen, and Bulaga drops to us.

Of course, none of this takes into account Crazy Al from Oakland.

gee...i guess i'm less happy with losing than you must be..but I don't consider a nine win season too much of a stretch for a team that has just had two 7-9 seasons. But maybe you want to give them four or five years to show any improvement?

The team isn't coming off a 7-9 season, and being upset about continuing to lose isn't a reason to become irrational. Pull your string.

Sometimes a coach can come in and it turns around in one season. Usually it takes 2-3 seasons, especially from where the Bills are. Firing a coach after 1 season b/c the team doesn't have a winning record is f*cking stupid. That's some Dan Snyder bullsht, it never works, and it's the kind of crap that keeps name coaches from wanting anything to do with your organization.

One of the most accurate posts on here in awhile, with the only item of question is that they did supposedly try to trade for McNabb, although the offer might have been a slap in a future Hall of Famer's face. Only on this board do you hear that they refused the Bills offer because he wanted to play for a division rival to get even with the Eagles, that is fricking retarded. He wanted to play for a winner or at least a team that had an owner willing to spend to be a winner. This new front office hasn't done anything more impressive than the last few regimes have, so maybe it is the owner and his tight wallet. I agree with your view of the fans too, just to be on here posting day after day, whether voicing frustrations at the lack of quality of this team for over a decade, or the fans that no matter what happens they see positives in it and wouldn't think anything bad of Ralphie and his team even if they came in and dropped a bomb on their house, all love this franchise to a fault. The fans have been mistreated by this team for over a decade, been taken advantage of, been sold a rotten product, been lied and much more, but have remained the most loyal and dedicated fans in the NFL. You are correct, the fans, no matter what posts are made on here are not the problem, Team Ralphie and his Misfits are the problem, and it isn't going to get better anytime soon, and anyone not looking through rose colored glasses can clearly see that.

There were precious few really top-quality free agents who weren't getting old. Specifically, whom should the Bills have

gone after, price be damned, in FA?

Sure, I'd like them to sign every top available FA and trade the 5th-7th round draft choices for young-up-and-coming-already pro-bowl players, but that is just not all that reasonable to expect.

Yes, the Jets have made a splash this off-season. They've traded for a highly talented CB that SD didn't want because

he was a head-case and didn't tackle. They've signed LT on the down-side of his career and they've trade for a very

troubled (and suspended) Santonio Holmes. Still, I like how they built the core or their team with draft picks on the

OL and defense, only filling in a QB when most of the holes were filled....

Link

The media? And yet you couldn't wait to do the same thing, to post it here and make sure everybody knows.

The media isn't the problem.

Whoever they draft I hope they make sure that the player wants to come here and isn't going to jerk us around ala Maybin. A lengthy hold out is the last thing we need.

PTR

I disagree, the last thing on the Bills mind should be rather or not they want to play for them.