Chris Brown on NFL.com plays GM

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was watching the NFL channel yesterday and there is a growing feeling that Bulaga is another Robert Gallery. Another Iowa tackle who was coached up in college better than he will end up being at the NFL level. They said that many GMs feel he will end up as a RT.

Picking a RT at #9 would not be a smart move. The Bills need to get an impact "pro bowl" type player at the top ten spot. Hopefully the Bills will get to select Williams, draft another position (Clausen, Kindle, Spiller, Bryant, Morgan?) or attempt to trade back in the first and pick Iupati.

Just say no to a RT at #9.

We need a LT wayyy more than a RT. You only take Bulaga (or whoever else) at #9, if you believe that he can be a successful NFL LT. Hopefully the days of spending a top 10 pick on a RT are over...

Seriously, that site wants us to watch an ad before finding out who each team picked?

Seriously bad. I'm at work and don't want to watch the video.

I can only assume that the pick is Bulaga based on the other posts here. His name in the thread title would have been nice, btw.

Before people freak out about this post I'm not saying that arm length is the end all be all of LT prospects I'm just saying it's a very important part of it.

Link

Arm length, hand quickness dictate OLT success

Posted April 14, 2009 @ midnight ET

By Nolan Nawrocki

Many traits are required for an offensive tackle to successfully be able to handle edge speed - quick hands and feet, balance and natural knee bend. The one physical trait that is most often taken for granted, however, is arm length.

Without good arm length, generally considered at least 33½ inches on the left side and preferably 34 inches, it is difficult for blockers to be able to handle inside counters and recover quickly to keep a pocket clean.

PFW calculated the average arm length of every starting left tackle in the NFL last season, and it was 34½ inches. The average arm length of the Pro Bowl tackles in the NFC, all of whom were left tackles, was 33¾ inches, while the average of AFC Pro Bowlers, also all left tackles, was 34 inches.

To overcome average arm length, offensive tackles must be very smart, understand angles and be technique-sound, which describes Titans All-Pro OLT Michael Roos to a T. That is why he can overcome having a league OLT-worst 32½-inch arms and only give up one sack, according to STATS LLC. Other factors in Roos' success that were cited by evaluators included good coaching and sound protection schemes, with Mike Munchak being regarded as one of the top OL coaches in the game.

The knock on Bulaga is he's short armed at 33.25" arm length (average arm length being approx. 34"). From what I've read the best LT's have long arms. Here's a list for comparison of some of the LT's I could find. The information comes from the 2008 draft class.

Jake Long 37"

Branden Albert 35.5"

Ryan Clady 36.75"

Jeff Otah 35.33"

Gosder Cherilus 36.25"

The knock on Levitre was that he has short arms. His measure 32.25" That's why he changed to G in the NFL.

Link

“Great” Arm Length (35-plus inches)

D’Brickashaw Ferguson, Jets: 35½ inches (2006)

Ryan Clady, Broncos: 36 inches (2008)

“Good” Arm Length (34-34 7/8 inches)

Jammal Brown, Saints: 34¼ inches (2005)

Jeff Otah, Panthers: 34 5/8 inches (2008)

“Below Average” Arm Length (32-32 7/8 inches)

Robert Gallery, Raiders: 32¼ inches (2004)

Chris Williams Bears: 32¾ inches (2008)

Eugene Monroe 34"

Jason Smith 33.75"

Michael Oher 33.5"

Eben Britton 32.5"

Oher seems to be doing well with 33.5" arms. The guy I have the Bills taking in the second round, Saffold, has short arms too at 33.5".

Here are some other 2010 prospects;

Bryan Buluga 33.25"

Russell Okung 36"

Bruce Campbell 36.25"

Trent Williams 34.25

Anthony Davis 34"

Charles Brown 35.25

Vladamir Ducasse 34.75"

Jared Veldheer 33"

Tony Washington 35.25"

Jason Fox 34.5"

Kyle Calloway 33.25"

Sam Young 34.5"

Ed Wang 33.75"

Rodger Saffold 33.5"

Bulaga is a good pick. Safe, sound and fills a huge need.

Since when is taking a right tackle with the #9 pick filling a huge need? We need a left tackle and Bulaga is being projected as a right tackle leading up to this draft. I heard it on the NFL channel last night.

Robert Gallery II, no thanks. If T. Williams isn't there, the Bills should draft BEST PLAYER AVAILABLE or try to trade back.

I guess I'm in the minority. I don't like Bulaga. He seems to be a bull in the run game, but his pass protection is suspect. I see far too many college D ends getting the edge on him and just barely missing the QB (go watch even youtube "highlight" videos), the NFL ends will take the edge. I just don't think he's a top 10 pick, and in my opinion light years away from safe.

Since when is taking a right tackle with the #9 pick filling a huge need? We need a left tackle and Bulaga is being projected as a right tackle leading up to this draft. I heard it on the NFL channel last night.

Robert Gallery II, no thanks. If T. Williams isn't there, the Bills should draft BEST PLAYER AVAILABLE or try to trade back.

Oh don't start with the sarcasm b.s.

Bulaga projects as an LT. He's been in mocks as high as #5 to KC. He's a nasty, hard-nosed football player that plays with a mean streak. He's be a steal at #9.

I guess I'm in the minority. I don't like Bulaga. He seems to be a bull in the run game, but his pass protection is suspect. I see far too many college D ends getting the edge on him and just barely missing the QB (go watch even youtube "highlight" videos), the NFL ends will take the edge. I just don't think he's a top 10 pick, and in my opinion light years away from safe.

Short arms, didn't bench well for his short arms vs other 'top' Tackle prospects, and not as athletic

Remember what happened the last time we drafted a guy slated for RIGHT tackle in the NFL with a high pick and plugged him into LT?

Bulaga is a RT in the NFL or even a Guard with his lack of pure athleticism and short arms

Remember what happened the last time we drafted a guy slated for RIGHT tackle in the NFL with a high pick and plugged him into LT?

Bulaga is a RT in the NFL or even a Guard with his lack of pure athleticism and short arms

/\

l

l

l________ What he said

Pretty clearly Bulaga or Williams. Short arm/overcoached, all of that crap isn't going to mean much in comparison to whether or not he can block. Montana and Breese were too short, Bruce Smith was too fat, Jim Kelly was coming off a bad shoulder, Thurman Thomas had a bad knee and was following Barry Sanders. There always seems to be a reason not to draft someone high. These guys are legit top ten picks and its the area of critical need. Is is possible we might draft Clausen if he's there at nine? Yup...but IMHO I think the left tackle is the preferable option. Won't kill me if they pick Clausen. Now..if we pick a defensive back or a halfback...

Oh don't start with the sarcasm b.s.

Bulaga projects as an LT. He's been in mocks as high as #5 to KC. He's a nasty, hard-nosed football player that plays with a mean streak. He's be a steal at #9.

Lombardi and Casserly said that all of the NFL people they've talked said he was probably going to end up being a right tackle. That his LT production on the college level will not translate to that of the pros. His stock is falling and he'll probably be there at #9 for good reason. The Bills should not be drafting a right tackle as a top ten pick. They need to either draft the best player available or try to trade back.