Last Year, There Were 12 TVs in the Freaking Weight Room!!&#33

Yet another tempest in a tea cup.

if these guys had the desire to push themselves as hard as possible, it wouldn't matter if Cirque de Sole was !@#$ing performing 4 times a week in the weight room...they'd get it done.

IF they don't give a ****, then it doesn't matter whats going on down there.

Don't blame the tools, blame the carpenter. The fact of the matter is, having the TVs gives the guys an excuse to not leave the weight room because some march madness game is coming down to the wire...they can check out hte score between sets or whatever.

Again, spoken like someone who has never lifted anything heavier than a 12 ounce bottle in his life.

The weight room and resistance training are established so that athletes can better themselves. Since the human body is resistant to this type of change, it takes time, discipline, hard work, and most of all CONCENTRATION (key term) to achieve those goals.

The TV's were a distraction. They set the mood or attitude of a relaxed resort.

Which one do you think would produce a better environment: working out at your local gym or starting that gut busting workout while you're away on vacation?

Reference my previous post on the topic. Schwarzenegger himself routinely spoke about the environment of a gym being crucial (read: most important) to achieving one's goals.

To go on the extreme, do you think working out at Gold's Gym or World Gym has better energy, or working out at a senior center? Which one do you think would get you motivated?

Success begets success...

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Red, you and I have some major disagreements on some Bills-related issues, but on this one, we're kindred spirits.

Excellent post.

Thanks, Thurm.

Glad we could agree on something for a change... :rolleyes:

Don't forget scalding hot pipes that can be used for wide-grip pull ups. Clubber Lang whipped Rocky with this training method and you could make a case that it had a hand in Mick's heart attack.

Weight rooms should also include some old school lockers. This builds character, because it reminds you where you came from. And chalk. Old ground up school chalk to put on your hands.

Big noise over nothing. This is just PR spin coming out of one Bills drive. There are TV's all over the gym I go to. If you are into what you are doing they just blend intro the background. The bigger issue is what are you doing and what are you being coached to do.

Well said. Clearly it's the TVs in the weight room that explain why the Bills have sucked for the past decade. It has nothing to do with an inept front office, lousy talent, and an incompetent coaching staff. :rolleyes:

So you guys don't approve of Gailey's changes.

This quote doesn't make you angry at what happened last year, "No TVs, and that was one of the things he said to us yesterday. He kind of felt like it was a spa in there," said running back Fred Jackson. "He wants us to go in there and work out ... and I think that a lot of guys are buying into that."

You figure three years in a row of huge numbers of injuries probably had nothing to do with the kaffeeklatsch going on in the weight room?

It's better to just make jokes about it? Well, to each their own.

If "it was a spa in there", it wasn't because there were TVs. That's the point of nearly every reponse, yet you somehow seem to be missing this.

Now, which one do you suppose is going to produce the best results?

Hard work and hustle, or a bunch of posers going through the motions?

The attitude in a gym can make or break you. Heck, don't listen to me. Listen to the current Governor of California when he talks about choosing the right gym: "In the last 14 years I've found some gymnasiums I've felt incredibly good in- where I immediately got good vibrations and a sudden flow of energy because of the way they looked- and other gymnasiums that depressed me as soon as I walked through the door. I especially don't like the kind of gym that gives a sense of relaxation." (emphasis mine)- Arnold The Education of a Bodybuilder

For the Buffalo Bills, Chan Gailey has it right in today's article. The TV's were a distraction. A weight room needs to be about work. If you want to win and achieve your goals, it takes sweat, hustle, and plenty of grit. If the weight room is somewhere nice that you go to "hang out"...then it is not set up for the right purpose.

And if the other teams in the league are busting their rumps to get better, and you are using the weight room as a glorified resort, I can now understand where some of these injuries came from for the past few years.

Which is all fine and dandy, but still doesn't answer the real question of what kind of work ethic existed in the weight room under Jauron and what will be in place under Gailey. Removing TVs is nice PR, but you have no idea what the new training regimen will be.

These guys are pros, and should take their job seriously. I think that a bigger issue is not that there are TVs in the room, but that guys may have been slacking in their exercise routines. That has nothing to do with TVs or any other electronic entertainment in the room.

Well i can tell you that in college we did a version of the Patriots team workout which required you to rest 2-4 minutes between sets for maximum results. watching a tv is a lot better than just sitting on a bench waiting for next rep. No, we didnt superset either.

TVs arent that big of a deal, they look bad to most on the outside well bc most if not nearly all of you havent been part of an upper level workout

The attitude in a gym can make or break you. Heck, don't listen to me. Listen to the current Governor of California when he talks about choosing the right gym: "In the last 14 years I've found some gymnasiums I've felt incredibly good in- where I immediately got good vibrations and a sudden flow of energy because of the way they looked- and other gymnasiums that depressed me as soon as I walked through the door. I especially don't like the kind of gym that gives a sense of relaxation." (emphasis mine)- Arnold The Education of a Bodybuilder

Was there a chapter on how to correctly administer and cycle steriods?

Baltimore Ravens New Facility

Raven's new facility. State of the art, with a golf course, video games, spa and gasp at least 8 tvs in their weight room. One of the toughest and hardest hitting teams in the league. In fact, those facilities help bring in FAs as well.

But, the TVs are why the Bills haven't been in the playoffs. Got it.

Thank you.

TV's have nothing to do with players being prepared..it's the trainers and player motivation.

Anyone that has played sports will tell you the real bonding between players doesn't normally come on the field...it comes during down time when players aren't working.

The amenities are designed to keep players at the facility when they would normally be somewhere else.

Did you see this article from the front page? http://www.buffalonews.com/2010/03/30/1004...-weightier.html

And here's another one: http://blogs.buffalonews.com/billboard/201...m-overhaul.html

I STILL can't get over it!!

Reports differ over whether the 12 TVs were on the walls of the weight room or whether some were in the locker room, and I've also seen reports that five of the TVs were on the front panel of treadmills.

But I don't freaking care.

Televisions in the weight room of a pro team are SO WRONG!!

Thank God Alllare is gone, though it's hard to know how much was Allaire and how much was Jauron.

I've been saying for months that three years in a row of huge amounts of injuries isn't coincidence, that something was wrong with the S&C program. Here's the evidence!

EDIT: Sorry, I tried to delete this thread when I realized that I couldn't see the video linked in the "NO MORE CLUB MED" thread. If that video goes over the same ground, I'd suggest that you use that thread.

FWIW, I could care less whether they have televisions in the weight room. This is not uncommon at either the pro or collegiate level. As long as they are working out, it does not make any difference to me.

Does anyone know what they did with the TVs? They were probably pretty nice, maybe could get a deal on one used! :rolleyes:

I heard they tried to give them away but St. Louis refused when they were told they had to take McCargo as part of the deal.

Bottom line, it's distracting.

Weight-lifting requires an extreme focus, particularly at the level these guys are at.

I hate TVs in weight rooms, and I don't make my living through my phyisical abilities like these guys do. The thing about TV is that you stare at it. Which prevents you from visualizing the next lift, going over your goals, ....

I'm at the point where I sometimes wear earplugs at the gym, myself, and these guys are being paid to lift weights.

Roid rage is a biotch.

Weight rooms should smell like sh*t, be poorly lit, and have metal blasting on a cheap azz stereo constantly.

Don't forget scalding hot pipes that can be used for wide-grip pull ups. Clubber Lang whipped Rocky with this training method and you could make a case that it had a hand in Mick's heart attack.

They need chickens running around to catch in there too!!

:thumbsup::bag::beer: You guys make some good points here. All of this reminds me of Greg Williams with the air horn at his first training camp.

Baltimore Ravens New Facility

Raven's new facility. State of the art, with a golf course, video games, spa and gasp at least 8 tvs in their weight room. One of the toughest and hardest hitting teams in the league. In fact, those facilities help bring in FAs as well.

But, the TVs are why the Bills haven't been in the playoffs. Got it.

Nice post. Taking out the TV's isn't going to make Keith Ellison qualified to be on an NFL team. Draft big. Have less injuries. It's a man's game.

I was jus at the Houston rodeo in Reliant Stadium (where the Texans play). Beautiful stadium. You can actually see the players weightroom as you are walking down the concorse. Didn't notice how many TV's they had, but I definately saw some. The point is this. Yeah maybe 12 TV's is a lot, but let's not try and pin our losing way on the number of TV's in a weight room and pale undead coaches. The fact is the Bills have sucked because it's been years since a true football man was in charge. Finally we have that. It's going to be a fun season I think!