Walt Cory

CAVEDAWG

Was watching Superbowl Classics the other day on the NFL channel. SB 25 Bills and Giants. Anyways there was Walt running the defense. Brought back memories of him chewing on a straw during the games. I miss those good ole days. That was when we had a Great O-Line!!

Just wanted to share....GO BILLS!!! : :beer:

Walt Corey was a horrible DC! He had Multiple pro bowl players and he still couldn't get the Defense into the top ten!

Marv Levy's refusel to replace him lost us a few Super Bowls!

Actually Walt Corey was a very good coordinator. The problem was that he asked a guy that was similar to John Randle to play like Ted Washington. I think Jeff Wright was a lot more talented than big mouth Smerlas, but they had a completely different skill set. To this day, Wright's immense talent is unappreciated, as he passed under the radar, playing out of position.

If we had a Ted Washington back then, we would have won at least 3 superbowls and maybe gone to more than 4

Actually Walt Corey was a very good coordinator. The problem was that he asked a guy that was similar to John Randle to play like Ted Washington. I think Jeff Wright was a lot more talented than big mouth Smerlas, but they had a completely different skill set. To this day, Wright's immense talent is unappreciated, as he passed under the radar, playing out of position.

If we had a Ted Washington back then, we would have won at least 3 superbowls and maybe gone to more than 4

Bingo.

no way dude-he had the bend all the way and get pounded but don't break defense. if it wasn't for future hall of fame caliber players, it would have been one of the worst defenses.

I shall also perform the "+1" technique on this quote.

no way dude-he had the bend all the way and get pounded but don't break defense. if it wasn't for future hall of fame caliber players, it would have been one of the worst defenses.

OK, so he should have been able to be good with guys off the street? Playing a great DT and a nose tackle is what hurt the defense. He was as good a coordinator as any we've had aside from Wade Phillips

I see a lot of Jeff Wright in Kyle Williams. They're both quick, with good motors, and get in the backfield a lot, but will hamper the run defense because of size limitations.

???

Come on.

Jeff Wright might have been an awesome left defensive end... Leon Seals was a back up at best...

Jeff Wright might have been an awesome left defensive end... Leon Seals was a back up at best...

Seals was pretty good for a short period...when Bruce was suspended the first 4 games of 1988, Leon was a more than adequate replacement. A guy needs to play, to make plays...

Some around here need to go look at the stats for 1990 - 1993, the four years we went to the SB. In terms of total yards allowed, yes, our defense ranked low. But they were on the field for more plays than our offense ran. Heck, in '92 or '93 (not sure which) they were on the field for over 1,100 plays alone.

Look closer at the numbers and you'll see we had a pretty stout defense. I've stated it here many times over the last dozen years but coaches look at two stats first and foremost when evaluating a team's defense: Yards Per Rush and Yards Per Play. The Bills defenses consistently ranked pretty high in those categories in the glory years. Heck, one year, not sure which one, they ranked #1 with a VERY STINGY 3.3 yards per rush against.

When you consider the pressure our offense put on them by making them stay on the field so long, it's amazing we didn't perform far worse than we did. Although that offense often gave our defense the HUGE benefit of playing with a lead late in games.

Our defense during those years was a damn good one and more players deserve more recognition for how well they played.

GO BILLS!!!

If Bruce Smith played in a 4-3, he could have had 50 more sacks. Walt Corey was beyond terrible. Those defenses were loaded and never performed to the level they should have.

JD Williams, Mark Kelso, Ray Bentley, Leon Seals...........

Some around here need to go look at the stats for 1990 - 1993, the four years we went to the SB. In terms of total yards allowed, yes, our defense ranked low. But they were on the field for more plays than our offense ran. Heck, in '92 or '93 (not sure which) they were on the field for over 1,100 plays alone.

Look closer at the numbers and you'll see we had a pretty stout defense. I've stated it here many times over the last dozen years but coaches look at two stats first and foremost when evaluating a team's defense: Yards Per Rush and Yards Per Play. The Bills defenses consistently ranked pretty high in those categories in the glory years. Heck, one year, not sure which one, they ranked #1 with a VERY STINGY 3.3 yards per rush against.

When you consider the pressure our offense put on them by making them stay on the field so long, it's amazing we didn't perform far worse than we did. Although that offense often gave our defense the HUGE benefit of playing with a lead late in games.

Our defense during those years was a damn good one and more players deserve more recognition for how well they played.

GO BILLS!!!

THank you...well thought out sentences and info! Chew that straw WALT!!!