Walt Cory

CAVEDAWG

Some around here need to go look at the stats for 1990 - 1993, the four years we went to the SB. In terms of total yards allowed, yes, our defense ranked low. But they were on the field for more plays than our offense ran. Heck, in '92 or '93 (not sure which) they were on the field for over 1,100 plays alone.

Look closer at the numbers and you'll see we had a pretty stout defense. I've stated it here many times over the last dozen years but coaches look at two stats first and foremost when evaluating a team's defense: Yards Per Rush and Yards Per Play. The Bills defenses consistently ranked pretty high in those categories in the glory years. Heck, one year, not sure which one, they ranked #1 with a VERY STINGY 3.3 yards per rush against.

When you consider the pressure our offense put on them by making them stay on the field so long, it's amazing we didn't perform far worse than we did. Although that offense often gave our defense the HUGE benefit of playing with a lead late in games.

Our defense during those years was a damn good one and more players deserve more recognition for how well they played.

GO BILLS!!!

gotta love this horse-hockey arguement of blaming the offense for being too good for the defense being inept at stopping people

the bend but don't break defense was highlighted in the first Super Bowl as the Giant ran off a double digit drive in both plays and minutes to gore the Bills.

maybe if the defense made a play or two, the offense could have had another drive to win the game

gotta love this horse-hockey arguement of blaming the offense for being too good for the defense being inept at stopping people

the bend but don't break defense was highlighted in the first Super Bowl as the Giant ran off a double digit drive in both plays and minutes to gore the Bills.

maybe if the defense made a play or two, the offense could have had another drive to win the game

Sorry, can't let this slide as I detest people putting words in my mouth.

1.) Nobody is blaming the offense for anything. It's just a simple fact that the defense was on the field for many more plays than our offense given the type of offense we ran. Our defense, contrary to what many suggest, was very good at stopping people as their stats during those years indicate.

2.) Our defense in SB 25 wasn't "bend, don't break." It was flat BROKE! Our defense sucked that day and is the reason we lost the game. Period. Damn right if the defense made a play or two we would have won that game. The Giants could't stop us. Unless 19 points in 19 minutes is stopping someone.

My post wasn't about SB 25. It was about our defense during the SB years and, as I said, it was a very good defense even though the total yards given up would suggest otherwise. The total yards given up was a direct reflection of the sheer number of plays they were on the field during those seasons. But when it came to the stats that matter most, YPP and YPRA, the Bills' defense ranked well above average.

GO BILLS!!!

Sorry, can't let this slide as I detest people putting words in my mouth.

1.) Nobody is blaming the offense for anything. It's just a simple fact that the defense was on the field for many more plays than our offense given the type of offense we ran. Our defense, contrary to what many suggest, was very good at stopping people as their stats during those years indicate.

2.) Our defense in SB 25 wasn't "bend, don't break." It was flat BROKE! Our defense sucked that day and is the reason we lost the game. Period. Damn right if the defense made a play or two we would have won that game. The Giants could't stop us. Unless 19 points in 19 minutes is stopping someone.

My post wasn't about SB 25. It was about our defense during the SB years and, as I said, it was a very good defense even though the total yards given up would suggest otherwise. The total yards given up was a direct reflection of the sheer number of plays they were on the field during those seasons. But when it came to the stats that matter most, YPP and YPRA, the Bills' defense ranked well above average.

GO BILLS!!!

I couldn't disagree more. When you have an offense that can score quickly, the worst approach you can have on defense is to be "bend but don't break". We may have completely broken in SBXV but this is more an issue of approach to the game. Take chances, who cares if you give up a big score - I'll bet that my offense will outscore yours. And it's not like we didn't have playmakers - Bruce, Cornelius, Conlan, etc. Playing a standard vanilla defense allowed us to be good enough to dominate during the regular season but man, coaching sure showed up in the playoffs. Parcells and the other NFC coaches sure knew our weakness and they came up with gameplans to outfox our talent advantage. To this day, I sorta blame Marv and especially blame Corey for their inability to change the style of our defense to fit what was the most dynamic offense in the game.

Actually Walt Corey was a very good coordinator. The problem was that he asked a guy that was similar to John Randle to play like Ted Washington. I think Jeff Wright was a lot more talented than big mouth Smerlas, but they had a completely different skill set. To this day, Wright's immense talent is unappreciated, as he passed under the radar, playing out of position.

If we had a Ted Washington back then, we would have won at least 3 superbowls and maybe gone to more than 4

Not to mention that he did have the #1 defense in the NFL in Buffalo at one point.