Holmgren speaks about clausen

bkc

Browns president Mike Holmgren admitted that he isn't high on Notre Dame QB Jimmy Clausen.

"You know how you have a type of player that you like? It's not scientific. People like him a lot. He'll go high," Holmgren said. "But it would be hard for me [to take him]." Holmgren reiterated that he will take a quarterback in the draft, but it probably won't be until late.

Source: Cleveland Plain Dealer

smoke screen or is he telling the truth

more importantly it means that Clausen is more going to be available for the Bills. The question is does Buddy think hes a franchise QB. If the answer tot hat question is yes they MUST select him, if the answer is no than I wonder how far he slips. Holmgren passing would tell me something though.

Cleveland has more pressing needs if they want to turn it around this year.

No doubt MH is eyeing QBs he thinks are worthwhile to take and groom.

I can see him passing on Clausen. He might take Tebow in round 2 though.

Browns president Mike Holmgren admitted that he isn't high on Notre Dame QB Jimmy Clausen.

"You know how you have a type of player that you like? It's not scientific. People like him a lot. He'll go high," Holmgren said. "But it would be hard for me [to take him]." Holmgren reiterated that he will take a quarterback in the draft, but it probably won't be until late.

Total smokescreen. No way a President\GM is saying that type of thing this close to the draft.

Normally I would say, smoke screen. But the tone and diction of his quote actually sounds serious and is quite convincing.

Past behaviour is a strong indicator of future behaviour. Holgren does not draft QBs in the 1st round.

That said, Clausen would have to get past Washington and Seattle too. Not to mention teams may trade up for him.

Bradford, McCoy, and Clausen are all hype and I don't see any of them being great qb's in this league. They may turn out to be good, but not great. Not worthy of a top ten pick. The other qb's in this draft that will drafted later will be better value and one or two of them will develop into a good qb. Their are no can't miss for sure qb's in this draft. I would rather not spend our first or second round pick on a qb. I would much rather take a shot at Lefevour, Pike, Skelton or even Tebow, but in the third ar later. One of these later qb's will turn into the next Tom Brady sixth round wonder.

Normally I would say, smoke screen. But the tone and diction of his quote actually sounds serious and is quite convincing.

Past behaviour is a strong indicator of future behaviour. Holgren does not draft QBs in the 1st round.

That said, Clausen would have to get past Washington and Seattle too. Not to mention teams may trade up for him.

I think seattle stays with what they have. That said I wish I knew if this guy is the jackass people are saying he or just a little immature

I think seattle stays with what they have. That said I wish I knew if this guy is the jackass people are saying he or just a little immature

I don't wanna justify cockiness and poor attitudes but I must admit that I'd be cocky as hell if I was the number one high school QB, recruited by Brady-mentor Weiss, starting for legendary Notre Dame, and a high round one NFL prospect about to make millions.

Seattle made a deal with San Diego to acquire Whitehurst. They then signed him to a fairly high contract. So Seattle is unlikely to draft Clausen with their first round picks. Many people believe that the Skins will either take OT Okung or qb Clausen with the fourth selection in the draft.

Seattle just traded away picks for the guy they think is their QB of the future in Whitehurst. No way they now use a top 10 pick on another QB. Cross them off. Washington maybe but I still dont see it.

Seattle made a deal with San Diego to acquire Whitehurst. They then signed him to a fairly high contract. So Seattle is unlikely to draft Clausen with their first round picks. Many people believe that the Skins will either take OT Okung or qb Clausen with the fourth selection in the draft.

Seattle just traded away picks for the guy they think is their QB of the future in Whitehurst. No way they now use a top 10 pick on another QB. Cross them off. Washington maybe but I still dont see it.

I still think Clausen is a possibility for Seattle. Whitehurst is a 27 year old who has never thrown a regular season NFL pass.

Bradford, McCoy, and Clausen are all hype and I don't see any of them being great qb's in this league. They may turn out to be good, but not great. Not worthy of a top ten pick. The other qb's in this draft that will drafted later will be better value and one or two of them will develop into a good qb. Their are no can't miss for sure qb's in this draft. I would rather not spend our first or second round pick on a qb. I would much rather take a shot at Lefevour, Pike, Skelton or even Tebow, but in the third ar later. One of these later qb's will turn into the next Tom Brady sixth round wonder.

The QB that is most accurate and a project is Troy's Levi Brown..

Why would Homgren say anything? If he is telling the truth, no GM speaks honestly this time of year but....if Clausen gets by Washington I would say that he would likely be there at 9 barring some other team trading up ahead of the Bills. If Buffalo doesn't take him then it could be Jacksonville or San Fran after that ( again if no one moves back up to round 1) it could mean second round. Other than the teams mentioned as possibilities there isn't anyone with a desparate need in the bottom half of the draft, teams that may be interested

Cinci (Palmer injuries mounting and didn't look like himself last year) , Pitt ( Big Ben could be in trouble, who knows), Vikings ( one more year of Favre and move on from Jackson and Sage) even San Fran may want to go with Smith and add pieces to make him better. Same with Garrard in JAX, he came on at the end of the year as well I believe. This could make draft day very interesting. Stay at 9 and then see what happens, teams may want to move up for other players and it maybe possible for us to get Clausen further down. If Buffalo does move down and can still land Clausen, assuming of course Buddy wants him, that would be a coup. If we move down and he is gone we might be in a position to draft an interior lineman at a more reasonable price point.

Say no to Clausen or any other QB this year. Build the trenches, please!! I know that team only goes so far as the QB will take them, but Johnny Unitas would look bad behind a bad line...

Why would Homgren say anything? If he is telling the truth, no GM speaks honestly this time of year but....if Clausen gets by Washington I would say that he would likely be there at 9 barring some other team trading up ahead of the Bills. If Buffalo doesn't take him then it could be Jacksonville or San Fran after that ( again if no one moves back up to round 1) it could mean second round. Other than the teams mentioned as possibilities there isn't anyone with a desparate need in the bottom half of the draft, teams that may be interested

Cinci (Palmer injuries mounting and didn't look like himself last year) , Pitt ( Big Ben could be in trouble, who knows), Vikings ( one more year of Favre and move on from Jackson and Sage) even San Fran may want to go with Smith and add pieces to make him better. Same with Garrard in JAX, he came on at the end of the year as well I believe. This could make draft day very interesting. Stay at 9 and then see what happens, teams may want to move up for other players and it maybe possible for us to get Clausen further down. If Buffalo does move down and can still land Clausen, assuming of course Buddy wants him, that would be a coup. If we move down and he is gone we might be in a position to draft an interior lineman at a more reasonable price point.

http://football.about.com/cs/nfldraft/a/bl_mockdraft.htm

This mock has Clausen going #30 to the Vikings, ( it was updated today) I believe all mocks don't anticipate teams moving up or down just their current draft positions. By the way, this guys' mock would likely make a lot of people on this board happy with Bulaga going to the Bills at 9, if we could trade back up in the first and get Clausen in the 30 range I would be pleased. I know a lot of other people on the boards wouldn't but we would have addressed two needs in those picks, guys with upside and not flyers in the third or fourth rounds

Don't forget Seattle has two first round draft picks. They may be passing on Clauson with the 6th pick and hope he falls to them at #14.

I don't know who is pictured in your avatar, but it looks to me like he has a dark blue cape on his back as he flies toward the end zone.

What a great "perfect moment" photo.

And oh by the way, I would not like to see the Bills take any QB at #9 this year.

Trenches, man, trenches!

Now that every one knows that Holmgren will not take Clausen, there is no need for a team like the Bills to even think about trying to move up to get him. It sure is nice that you can trust everything that team representatives say prior to the draft, because they would never try to mislead other teams

$8 million over 2 years. If they draft Clausen or Bradford, they could use Whitehurst either as a teacher or to play for a year or two while the young guy learns.

This isn't a definite "no."

Though I wish it were. Clausen would be a terrific get for us.

Glad you've got the future all down.

I'm sure you must be being paid millions by one club or another, because if you knew this, you'd be worth it.

I don't know who is pictured in your avatar, but it looks to me like he has a dark blue cape on his back as he flies toward the end zone.

What a great "perfect moment" photo.

And oh by the way, I would not like to see the Bills take any QB at #9 this year.

Trenches, man, trenches!

Not sure if you're joking or not, but it's Tebow. I agree with no QB at 9 also.

Washington will take the best available offensive tackle, Seattle just traded for their next QB in Charlie Whitehurst. Sadly Claussen will be available to the Bills and I hope to god they pass.

He's shaped like a couple?

Sized like a couple, maybe, but shaped like one?

LOL.....I've heard of a Pear Shape, but never a Pair Shape. Holmgren is FOS!! No GM is going to truthfully discuss his thoughts on drafting a 1st round prospect at this time before the draft

Washington will take the best available offensive tackle, Seattle just traded for their next QB in Charlie Whitehurst. Sadly Claussen will be available to the Bills and I hope to god they pass.

I haven't been paying much attention to the mock drafts this year -- but is the assumption now that Bradford is going to be the top pick? Last I knew the Rams were all about DT. Has that changed? Or are you saying both Clausen and Bradford may be there at 9?

I've been very vocal about addressing the line first, but wouldn't have been upset w/ Claussen IF OL is strongly addressed after.

However, w/ Seattle and Washington showing a lack of interest for the guy, and all the talk about the shallow depth of QB in this draft, I'm beginning to wonder if this guys all he's cracked up to be.

More specifically, are the odds really that much better that he'll succeed than some of the guys projected later? It would be a shame to pass on a guy who could protect the left for the next 10 yrs for someone who might be out of the league in 5.

With Big Mikes draft history - really doesnt matter

Glad you've got the future all down.

I'm sure you must be being paid millions by one club or another, because if you knew this, you'd be worth it.

The Consensus by the people that get paid Millions is Bradford is the only 1st QB worth a top 15 pick.

Clausen is only a need based pick. He does NOT grade in the top 25 individual player at all positions by just about everyone.

Taking Clausen in the top 10 is a desperate move.

Buddy Nix strikes me as many things Desperate is not one of them.

Seadog is just more informed not clairvoyant.

Listern, I am not a scout but to me it looks like he can play 28 td's 4 int's and he was coached by a guy who knows a little something about the Nfl . That said I keep reading/hearing about his attitude .