Rolando McClain

Estro

I have to admit I was a huge Rolando McClain fan and thought after the National Championship game that he would go very high in the draft, maybe not even making it to the Bills #9 pick. The more I've seen of him and the more I've heard scouts discuss his weaknesses the more I realize the guy would be a huge reach for the Bills at #9.

He is a very solid ILB prospect, but he fits into the 15-25 range not the #9 pick. ILB's do not carry as high a premium in the 3-4 defense as OLB or DL, which makes reaching for an ILB at #9 even more unbelievable. This isn't a post to bash McClain, I think he's good, but for those clamoring for him with our 9th pick I think you're really off base. After having a Q&A regarding 2010 draft prospects with Russ Lande (former NFL scout, now with Sportingnews.com) I was further turned off about the possibility of McCLain with our first pick. He pretty much said he's seen a lot of film on McClain and that he's not a special athlete speed wise and that he gives up a lot of ground when taking on blockers, often times getting engulfed by OL.

Further evidence that the Bills will not be adding an ILB is that they have 3 veteran's on the roster who currently project as ILB's in the 3-4 (Poz, Mitchell & Andra Davis).

Anyone agree? If not, flame away................

I have to admit I was a huge Rolando McClain fan and thought after the National Championship game that he would go very high in the draft, maybe not even making it to the Bills #9 pick. The more I've seen of him and the more I've heard scouts discuss his weaknesses the more I realize the guy would be a huge reach for the Bills at #9.

He is a very solid ILB prospect, but he fits into the 15-25 range not the #9 pick. ILB's do not carry as high a premium in the 3-4 defense as OLB or DL, which makes reaching for an ILB at #9 even more unbelievable. This isn't a post to bash McClain, I think he's good, but for those clamoring for him with our 9th pick I think you're really off base. After having a Q&A regarding 2010 draft prospects with Russ Lande (former NFL scout, now with Sportingnews.com) I was further turned off about the possibility of McCLain with our first pick. He pretty much said he's seen a lot of film on McClain and that he's not a special athlete speed wise and that he gives up a lot of ground when taking on blockers, often times getting engulfed by OL.

Further evidence that the Bills will not be adding an ILB is that they have 3 veteran's on the roster who currently project as ILB's in the 3-4 (Poz, Mitchell & Andra Davis).

Smokescreen time. Players who were considered great will all of a sudden have "questions" and "flaws" that nobody talked about before now. McClain is a stud and will be a stud.

Smokescreen time. Players who were considered great will all of a sudden have "questions" and "flaws" that nobody talked about before now. McClain is a stud and will be a stud.

I see what you're saying but in this case Lande no longer has an affiliation to any team, hence no reason to create a smoke screen. His honest assesment of McClain is a 15-25 round 1 grade. If you watch him closely over the entire season you will see a lot of the weaknesses that are being pointed out. He gives ground and gets handled by offensive lineman too often. A solid prospect, but not a difference/playmaker type you're looking to cash in with the #9 pick. I would not be surprised to see guys like Sergio Kindle and Brandon Graham get drafted before McClain because they can pressure the QB, Rolando can not.

The quote is from a former scout who writes for the Sporting News so the chances are, he's not smokescreening.

I don't know enough about McClain. As I said some time ago, if he's as good as Patrick Willis (who in my mind has surpassed Ray Lewis as the best ILB/MLB in the NFL), then you have to consider him.

Last year at this time on this board, we had quite a few posters clamoring to draft Rey Maualuga.

There's a wide range of difference between Patrick Willis and Rey Maualuga...at least at this time. McClain would have to be a very exceptional player to be drafted at #9.

As the original poster pointed out, ILB/MLB is not a position of high value. People were saying Ray Lewis was over the hill after Tony Siragusa and Sam Adams left Baltimore. After they drafted Haloti Ngata, suddenly Ray Lewis was a great player again.

I see what you're saying but in this case Lande no longer has an affiliation to any team, hence no reason to create a smoke screen. His honest assesment of McClain is a 15-25 round 1 grade. If you watch him closely over the entire season you will see a lot of the weaknesses that are being pointed out. He gives ground and gets handled by offensive lineman too often. A solid prospect, but not a difference/playmaker type you're looking to cash in with the #9 pick. I would not be surprised to see guys like Sergio Kindle and Brandon Graham get drafted before McClain because they can pressure the QB, Rolando can not.

The guy never has been worthy of #9. He is a major arm tackler and gets caught up in the wash in college. What do you think is gonna happen in the pros?

I hope to see the 1 jersey wrapped around a 300+ lber myself. I think someone like SF makes a surprise move and grabs him earlier than what was thought.

As an Auburn guy I hate to admit this but you couldn't be more wrong. Rolo is the best LB in this draft and he's a game changer since you have to always account for him on the field.

I wouldn't be disappointed if we picked him at no. 9 vs reaching for an OT like Davis or Williams if both Okung (certainly) and Baluga (Possibly and I'd be nervous about picking him anyway - not "Picking Anthony Davis Nervous" but he reminds me of Gallery in OAK).

After reading that interview I could see us spending our first three picks on defense and would be happy with this (Although we'd have to trade up into the late 2nd for our third pick:

Rd 01 - ILB Rolando McClain (Alabama) - 6-4 254

Rd 02 - OLB Ricky Sapp (Clemson) - 6-4 250

Rd 02 - DT CamThomas (UNC) - 6-4 330

That would give us:

DE Marcus Stroud - 6-6 310

NT Cam Thomas - 6-4 330

DE Dwan Edwards - 6-3 290

OLB Ricky Sapp - 6-4 250

ILB Paul Posluszny - 6-1 238

ILB Rolando McClain - 6-4 254

OLB Aaron Maybin - 6-4 250

FS Jairus Byrd - 5-10 210

SS Donte Whitner - 5-10 210

CB Leodis McKelvin - 5-10 185

CB Terrance McGee - 5-9 200

I assume we're not going to see Schoebel back on the field and I think Mitchell and Davis might be better as depth but they will push for a starting spot and make both McClain and Poz better because of it.

I know we need a QB, LT, G among other things but we can't fix everything in one draft. If we went this route we'd at least - on paper - shore up our defense.

Just a thought.

The quote is from a former scout who writes for the Sporting News so the chances are, he's not smokescreening.

I don't know enough about McClain. As I said some time ago, if he's as good as Patrick Willis (who in my mind has surpassed Ray Lewis as the best ILB/MLB in the NFL), then you have to consider him.

Last year at this time on this board, we had quite a few posters clamoring to draft Rey Maualuga.

There's a wide range of difference between Patrick Willis and Rey Maualuga...at least at this time. McClain would have to be a very exceptional player to be drafted at #9.

As the original poster pointed out, ILB/MLB is not a position of high value. People were saying Ray Lewis was over the hill after Tony Siragusa and Sam Adams left Baltimore. After they drafted Haloti Ngata, suddenly Ray Lewis was a great player again.

RIGHT THERE....perfectly said....Haloti Ngata...HELLO Ray Lewis again....the big fat men eating up all the blockers for the LB's to run around and make plays...totally agree...and lets not forget Cody is that man for McClain

I think once McClain gets into the NFL where evryone is a little bigger, stronger and faster his limitations will be exposed much moreso than they were in college. He's a good prospect, but not great by any means. Have an honest look for yourself here (a 7 minute clip of McClain on youtube.com):

I see a lot of arm tackiling, high tackling, missteps, lack of speed, easily blocked, poor angles. Surprisingly he looked decent in pass coverage. The main concern is offensive lineman seem to block him easily and once they latch on he is unable to get off the block. And yes I know this is only 7 minutes of a 3 year college career, but you can't discount it either. Would you be happy with what you saw on film in this clip with our #9 pick overall if you didn't know the name on the back of the jersey? I wouldn't. He's no where near the prospect Patrick Willis was coming out of college, not close.

With the signing of Andra Davis, drafting McClain seems unlikely considering also our other areas of need. If Nix/Gailey and Co. feel that this year is a wash and are planning to compete in 2 years then maybe they draft McClain...that is if he's rated on their list as a can't miss...

But...if a top OT or QB is there at #9, McClain won't hear his name called at #9.

The guy never has been worthy of #9. He is a major arm tackler and gets caught up in the wash in college. What do you think is gonna happen in the pros?

And how did he win the Butkus Award as the nation's top LB?

I hope to see the 1 jersey wrapped around a 300+ lber myself. I think someone like SF makes a surprise move and grabs him earlier than what was thought.

Can you imagine Patrick Willis and Rolando McClain lining up side by side. That would be sick.

RIGHT THERE....perfectly said....Haloti Ngata...HELLO Ray Lewis again....the big fat men eating up all the blockers for the LB's to run around and make plays...totally agree...and lets not forget Cody is that man for McClain

Great point, didn't even think of it. I agree good big men make everyone else better. FJ and ML behind a stout line would put up 1000 a piece.

I think any of the QB's we have could handle handing the ball to a running back. (see NYJ playoff run)

you've got to be kidding... Anyone who has seen even a few games from the guy knows that those statements aren't true. He's as sure of a sure thing as they get in the draft. He dominates out there in most games.

He is a very solid ILB prospect, but he fits into the 15-25 range not the #9 pick.

I disagree with this type of rationalization. If the guy is going to be a solid pro-bowl player worthy of pick in the 2d half of the first round, than he is worth taking at #9.

IMO there is waaay too much emphasis on 'where he should be drafted' thinking when it comes to player evaluatoin.

McClain is the best ILB in the draft, and that position turns out regulars. There aren't many vernon gholston stories, they usually make an impact.

That said, with the signing of Andra Davis plus Poz and Mitchell, drafting him at 9 over a DT or an LT is the wrong thing to do. I wanted McClain earlier, but we have more pressing needs.

You have just described Poz so he should fit right in.

I am a huge McClain fan and as much as I would like to see him in a Bills uniform,

I dont think they are leaning that way... it would make too much sense.

I think they will trade down for more picks if the deal is there.

Don't be surprised if they go for a skill position at 9.

How did Josh Reed win the Biletnikoff Award as the nation's top receiver?

Here are the Butkus Award Winners...plenty of hits...and misses.

I agree with you completely. My point is that a Butkus winner is not a high, arm tackler.

I disagree with this type of rationalization. If the guy is going to be a solid pro-bowl player worthy of pick in the 2d half of the first round, than he is worth taking at #9.

IMO there is waaay too much emphasis on 'where he should be drafted' thinking when it comes to player evaluatoin.

Agreed that McClain is not a top 10 pick but he will have a more of an impact then Maybin ever will.

The rationalization is the Bills and many teams will probably have 15-20 guys rated higher than McClain on the board so why take him at #9. I don't agree with taking a guy you have rated #18 with the #9 pick because you're basically bypassing 9 players that your entire front office have deemed more valuable than they guy you're picking.

McClain is decent and has a chance to be a solid Pro Bowl player down the line, but I'm sure the Bills feel that all the players they have rated above him also have a shot at being Pro Bowl type players. No one will know what the Bills board looks like, but I really would be shocked to learn if they had him in the top 15. The film on this guy is not overly impressive IMO.

You have just described Poz so he should fit right in.

I am a huge McClain fan and as much as I would like to see him in a Bills uniform,

I dont think they are leaning that way... it would make too much sense.

I think they will trade down for more picks if the deal is there.

Don't be surprised if they go for a skill position at 9.

Agree with you. On second thought...Yeah let's take a guy.. Dan Williams who is just a guy, instead of an incredibley large instinctive future pro bowl linebacker. Some of these people on this board are amazing. It really is okay to have just a few studs on our team :rolleyes: