UPDATED: Tim Tebow, QB, Denver Broncos

Kingfish

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that's not awesome - it is stupid and shameful - the lack of respect for diversity is disgusting

I agree it was disgusting for Tebow to disrespect the other players by asking them to pray to his Christian god right before taking an important test that could possibly cost them real-life dollars, not the imaginary religious capital he tries to gain at every turn by shoving his piety in people's faces.

Again, if Tebow really did want to pray for the right reasons, he could have mouthed a prayer silently to himself. I hear the Lawd is an excellent lip reader.

Truth. There's nothing more annoying to people of different beliefs, or no belief at all, to constantly hear this stuff. That's why he got that response.

no - the reason he got that response is when you get enough people together someone will act the fool - and then there will be others thinking that poor behavior is acceptable so they laugh or think its funny or whatever and thereby become fools themselves - it is simply a matter of respect for others - our society as a whole has lost that concept - and it continues to drop at any alarming rate

That's fine, and I don't disagree with anything you just said (this certainly isn't the forum). But next time don't call out someone if you aren't prepared to engage them. Saying someone "knows nothing" about something generally requires some sort of clarification of said statement.

Nah, I'll do what I please. But, thanks for telling me how and what to think. If it bugs you to be called out on making the same stupid comment over and over again...well, then don't do it. My keen police mind tells me that you were looking for a fight on the issue, however. The same mind tells me that no matter how valid the point I make and the time/effort I put into making it, it will not matter.

I have no interest in wasting the next 3 hours of my life properly articulating my reasoning to you.

A little role reversal...a Muslim player requests the test takers to face Mecca and pray before the Wonderlic and Tebow tells him to "shut his yapper" or some other sort of sanitized insult (because a born again would *never* say STFU).

Tebow becomes a hero to a huge portion of the same people who are opposed to the STFU guy and he's on Glenn Beck the next day.

I think it's incredibly stupid and naive on Tebow's part to assume anyone will publicly pray at his request and nobody would take offense when put on the spot to do so. The truth is, Tebow and the people defending him don't seem to have a clue that some people simply do not want advance religion in any way, particularly in public. Keep your damn prayers to yourself.

That's fine, and I don't disagree with anything you just said (this certainly isn't the forum). But next time don't call out someone if you aren't prepared to engage them. Saying someone "knows nothing" about something generally requires some sort of clarification of said statement.

Just because you have read the most of the bible doesn't mean you understand the context of what is going on in it. I agree this isn't the place to argue your beliefs or mine, but to throw out random statements that go against who God is based on what the Bible teaches is not helpful and causes unneeded tension. We can chat in another forum you can tell me where. This could be interesting but may not be helpful. But I am open to dealing with what you brought to the table.

As a Christian I would not have asked if I could pray for all of us in that situation. I would have prayed quietly. Still the same respect that others want with religion not being thrown in your face, can Tebow get the same respect back?

The bible does teach that you need to share your faith. I am not sure asking people if he could pray for them was him sharing his faith. I think it was his way of offering to pray for the whole group. Most people I have met are not offended by being prayed for.

This is just my two cents. I am not offended either way with what Tebow did or the response of the other individual.

A little role reversal...a Muslim player requests the test takers to face Mecca and pray before the Wonderlic and Tebow tells him to "shut his yapper" or some other sort of sanitized insult (because a born again would *never* say STFU).

Tebow becomes a hero to a huge portion of the same people who are opposed to the STFU guy and he's on Glenn Beck the next day.

Actually you have it reversed...CAIR would have been the first to publicize the religious persecution

I agree it was disgusting for Tebow to disrespect the other players by asking them to pray to his Christian god right before taking an important test that could possibly cost them real-life dollars, not the imaginary religious capital he tries to gain at every turn by shoving his piety in people's faces.

Again, if Tebow really did want to pray for the right reasons, he could have mouthed a prayer silently to himself. I hear the Lawd is an excellent lip reader.

funny - i don't remember it being a request for a prayer to a christian god - it was simply a prayer request - one could pray to whatever deity they believe in - for for those who don't believe then they could just not partake in the event

and i am sure that tebow was praying for the right reasons (for himself) - as for your reply - the reasons are very evident

Just because you have read the most of the bible doesn't mean you understand the context of what is going on in it. I agree this isn't the place to argue your beliefs or mine, but to throw out random statements that go against who God is based on what the Bible teaches is not helpful and causes unneeded tension. We can chat in another forum you can tell me where. This could be interesting but may not be helpful. But I am open to dealing with what you brought to the table.

As a Christian I would not have asked if I could pray for all of us in that situation. I would have prayed quietly. Still the same respect that others want with religion not being thrown in your face, can Tebow get the same respect back?

The bible does teach that you need to share your faith. I am not sure asking people if he could pray for them was him sharing his faith. I think it was his way of offering to pray for the whole group. Most people I have met are not offended by being prayed for.

This is just my two cents. I am not offended either way with what Tebow did or the response of the other individual.

There's a fine line between "sharing your faith" and offering it when it isn't wanted.

When you commit the latter, you're turning people away from God, which is also mentioned in the Bible. Timing is key with this, and he should have used better common sense.

By ridged I assume you meant rigid.

And yes when they want to add creationsism to text books it makes me get "ridgeder".

I'm just glad they can't burn me at the stake like they did the people who proclaimed the earth was round and not the center of the universe.

Rather hang with the sinners than the saints, then sinners are much more fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah there were a few errors in my post, then again I'm a sinner and typed that while a bit wasted.

There's a fine line between "sharing your faith" and offering it when it isn't wanted.

When you commit the latter, you're turning people away from God, which is also mentioned in the Bible. Timing is key with this, and he should have used better common sense.

You are probably right. I strike it up to him being young.

Nah, I'll do what I please. But, thanks for telling me how and what to think. If it bugs you to be called out on making the same stupid comment over and over again...well, then don't do it. My keen police mind tells me that you were looking for a fight on the issue, however. The same mind tells me that no matter how valid the point I make and the time/effort I put into making it, it will not matter.

I have no interest in wasting the next 3 hours of my life properly articulating my reasoning to you.

You didn't "call him out," you used the ad hominem. And he wasn't telling you "how and what to think," either.

funny - i don't remember it being a request for a prayer to a christian god - it was simply a prayer request - one could pray to whatever deity they believe in - for for those who don't believe then they could just not partake in the event

and i am sure that tebow was praying for the right reasons (for himself) - as for your reply - the reasons are very evident

You're sure he was, huh? Well I can't say I agree with your assumptions. I think different guys and gals embrace a faith for many different reasons. Some really believe in it. Some convert to a religion so they can marry the person they fall in love with. Some preach to steal and rob other peoples' money. Still others just do it for power and sway over others because they're power mongers and sociopaths.

So you, buddy, can't really say why Tebow made a public request for a prayer, can you? Unless you're his daddy or his preacher.

Sure others in the room could have sat his little display out and not participated. That's not the point. That wasn't the place or time for Tebow to practice his self-righteousness and he got an appropriate response from the room, in my opinion.

As for your last comment, I'm confused. Are you saying you know the reasons for my reply as well? How can you be inside my head and Tebow's head at the same time? Unless....oh no, is that you Jesus? I take back everything I said.

Actually I'm not looking for a fight on it or anything else. For once I really have better things to do (although trying to do anything but). But again you've made no verifiable statement, made reference to nothing substantiative. I provided sources, you provided opinions. Your points are therefore anything but "valid."

Ahh yes, I must have taken all that talk of murder, rape and enslavement out of context. It all starts to make sense now.

Most religions teach you to spread the religion - Christianity is not alone in that. But it teaches a lot of other stuff...that I've apparently taken out of context.

Tim asked if he could pray for them. No where in the article does he ask if others will pray. He says "Can we bow our head and pray"

Can we bow our heads and pray...That doesn't sound like Tim was asking them if he could pray for them. Parse that sentence again.