UPDATED: Tim Tebow, QB, Denver Broncos

Kingfish

If it's a QB our GM and head coach want, I say draft our guy at #9. If they want Tebow or Colt, make it happen with the first pick.Why wait? Make a big splash. I'm confident we can sign some Offensive linemen in FA or draft some in the 2nd and 3rd round.

Yeah go ahead. With needs still at both OT positions and a need for a 3-4 NT that would be teriffic. Good thing you are not the GM, but I hope Buddy doen't upset us that he is. :w00t::w00t::w00t:

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why choose Tebow or McCoy at No. 9 when you can trade down, accrue more picks and likely still take that player? Grabbing either with a top 10 pick would be reaching in a major way.

I agree and I am not necessarily advocating taking either of those guys at 9. But I wanted to make a few points:

1.) None of us actually have any idea how the teams actually have these players rated.

2.) The Bills would have to find somebody interested in the 9 spot and willing to give them value for the pick. That new team would also need to be in a position where the Bills could still get the guy they want.

3.) You have to consider what other people might be targeting you guy. For example, if we want Tebow and we know that Jax also does, they draft right after us, so we might be forced to take him higher than we would ideally want to in order to get him.

4.) Sometimes this whole "reach" thing is overblow. Look at Phillip Rivers. Nobody expected him to go at #4 overall. SD identified him as their franchise QB and they took him. Seems to have worked out OK.

5.) The draft is a crapshoot. Any of the picks could be future Hall of Famers. Any of the picks could be busts. Nobody knows. Please stop acting like you do.

The point is, the #1 priority for any Front office and coaching staff is to identify and acquire a franchise QB. If they decide Tebow or McCoy are the guy, take them. If its Clausen or Bradford, go get them.

If it's a QB our GM and head coach want, I say draft our guy at #9. If they want Tebow or Colt, make it happen with the first pick.Why wait? Make a big splash. I'm confident we can sign some Offensive linemen in FA or draft some in the 2nd and 3rd round.

That would be dumb when you absolutely can get either of those guys by trading down or just editing til end 2. Both are huge reaches at 9....see whitner mccargo

That would be dumb when you absolutely can get either of those guys by trading down or just editing til end 2. Both are huge reaches at 9....see whitner mccargo

How do you know that there aren't teams that have these guys rated in the top 10 ?

How do you know for a fact that we can get them in round 2.

The answer is: You don't. Neither do I and reallly nobody does. Thats why teams spend months ranking these guys and putting their own mock drafts together.

With Tebows improvement at his Pro Day he may have proved himself to be a 1st round pick. If buddy and chan want tebow dont be surprised if he goes at the #9 spot. Jax picks at #10 so trading down might not be a safe be. I for one am warming up to tebow his work ethic and "want to" is something to be applauded.

With Tebows improvement at his Pro Day he may have proved himself to be a 1st round pick. If buddy and chan want tebow dont be surprised if he goes at the #9 spot. Jax picks at #10 so trading down might not be a safe be. I for one am warming up to tebow his work ethic and "want to" is something to be applauded.

But his slow release, slow footwork, and floppy duck arm are not to be applauded and drafting him at nine is an Oaklandesque type of pick...

He's like the next Russell with no arm...and a killer smile

Trade up and take them sooner.

OTs are a dime a dozen

I've been warm to him, but not #9 warm. Take a blue chip, not a roll of the dice.

No link got it off Shefter's secret blog

LOL.

I understand your point and I personally think that 9 is too high for Tebow or McCoy. But nobody knows exactly where they will be picked. We need a franchise QB. If the FO thinks one of these guys is it, I would be happy with taking them at 9.

I remember some GM being asked about reaching for a player higher than he was rated and the GM said something like "Well, we had him rated at 15, but we didn't have the 15th pick and the team at 15 would not give it to us, so we picked him with our pick."

So it's only okay when you do it?

Kraft and BB are known for trading picks in current draft years for picks later down the road. If anyone in the league has shown that they are willing to wait on talent it's them!

Trading away picks (and accumulating future picks) is not the same thing at all as investing a second round pick on a franchise QB and sticking him on the bench for 3 to 5 years. If anything, their propensity for wheeling and dealing current picks for FUTURE ones is proof of that. They don't want to pay for players on their roster who aren't going to contribute right away. It's smart business.

And, someone tell me, isn't Brady in a contract year in 2010? I don't think he's signed an extension (unless I missed it which is possible). If that's the case AND the Pats take a QB in the second round, it will be to leverage a better deal from Brady OR to trade one of them in 2011 (or 2012 if there's a lockout).

Either way, if the Pats take Tebow, it won't be to let him sit on the bench for 3 years. It will mean the (coming) end of Brady and will be a wonderful day for the Bills. Even IF Tebow turns out to be better than I think.

That said, of course everything I'm saying is speculation. As I said in my op -- he was making assumptions that I don't think are true.

You're a bigger man than i am. If we <gulp> draft tebow, i will immediately take up the torch and pitchfork and begin to run him out of town.

:w00t:

What can I say, I'm a glutton for punishment and always root for the Bills even when I know deep down it's hopeless. I'm by no means a scout or a talent evaluator. But I played enough football in my life to feel confident in my gut when it's clear cut.

That said, I was 100% wrong on Rivers. I don't remember my exact post, but around draft time my fear was that someone would try to monkey with his mechanics and set his development back. But, I felt that Rivers was a good to very good QB even with his funky motion.

However, with Tebow I don't see that potential. He's a winner. Sure. It helps when you play on a loaded team for a genius coach that had your offense 10 steps ahead for 90% of your career. It also helps when you have track stars with hands as receivers who make up for over thrown and under thrown balls.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. The perfect comparison for Tebow is Tyler Hansbrough. Hansbrough was a stud College player. He hustled, played with more heart than anyone on the floor and that allowed him to compensate for his lack of athleticism or pure basketball skill -- AND he had superstar talent around him at all times which covered all manner of sin. And, like Tebow, he was either worshiped or hated -- depending on your team's colors. Yet, in the NBA his hustle, heart and determination can't make up for the lack of skill and pure athleticism that NBA has. Thus, he is a scrub on the Pacers' bench. And the Pacers are awful.

Tebow is the same. He has heart. He has hustle. But he has medicore skills that won't translate to the NFL where every player is an all american in the defensive backfield. He's all hype and flash. Without Meyers and an edge in talent, he's going to be a bust.

And ... I'll even go as far as to play the race card here. If Tebow, Hansbrough or Brian Leonard (another over hyped guy coming out of college who people here were dying to get) were black, there would be ZERO hype around him. Even with all the wins.

Think if Pryor manages to win 2 national titles at Ohio State over his last two years he will have the same hype as Tebow? Nope. And he has better raw skills than Tebow could ever dream. But he's NOT ready for the NFL yet. No one thinks he is. Maybe he'll never be. Who knows.

Okay ... rant over.

:w00t:

What can I say, I'm a glutton for punishment and always root for the Bills even when I know deep down it's hopeless. I'm by no means a scout or a talent evaluator. But I played enough football in my life to feel confident in my gut when it's clear cut.

That said, I was 100% wrong on Rivers. I don't remember my exact post, but around draft time my fear was that someone would try to monkey with his mechanics and set his development back. But, I felt that Rivers was a good to very good QB even with his funky motion.

However, with Tebow I don't see that potential. He's a winner. Sure. It helps when you play on a loaded team for a genius coach that had your offense 10 steps ahead for 90% of your career. It also helps when you have track stars with hands as receivers who make up for over thrown and under thrown balls.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. The perfect comparison for Tebow is Tyler Hansbrough. Hansbrough was a stud College player. He hustled, played with more heart than anyone on the floor and that allowed him to compensate for his lack of athleticism or pure basketball skill -- AND he had superstar talent around him at all times which covered all manner of sin. And, like Tebow, he was either worshiped or hated -- depending on your team's colors. Yet, in the NBA his hustle, heart and determination can't make up for the lack of skill and pure athleticism that NBA has. Thus, he is a scrub on the Pacers' bench. And the Pacers are awful.

Tebow is the same. He has heart. He has hustle. But he has medicore skills that won't translate to the NFL where every player is an all american in the defensive backfield. He's all hype and flash. Without Meyers and an edge in talent, he's going to be a bust.

And ... I'll even go as far as to play the race card here. If Tebow, Hansbrough or Brian Leonard (another over hyped guy coming out of college who people here were dying to get) were black, there would be ZERO hype around him. Even with all the wins.

Think if Pryor manages to win 2 national titles at Ohio State over his last two years he will have the same hype as Tebow? Nope. And he has better raw skills than Tebow could ever dream. But he's NOT ready for the NFL yet. No one thinks he is. Maybe he'll never be. Who knows.

Okay ... rant over.

Wanna hear bad judgment on draft day???...I was jumping for joy when the Charges got Leaf and Manning went to the Colts because Leaf was a stud lmao...and the Colts were still in our division at the time so I said he'll bust and we'll be whipping him all day twice a year hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....good call....and I said Bledsoe would save our team...and That Trent Edwards is the next Brady....hmmmmmmmmm....not so good with the QB's

Now LB's that's a whole different story...and DT's as well...and I'm pretty good with OL to...I guess because I played DT I know big guys better?....

That being said...LINVAL JOSEPH IS A BEAST...IUPATI is the best linemen in the draft...raw but best talent...I WISH we needed a guard not a tackle...though I think he could play ANYWHERE HE WANTED TO on our line...

Wanna hear bad judgment on draft day???...I was jumping for joy when the Charges got Leaf and Manning went to the Colts because Leaf was a stud lmao...and the Colts were still in our division at the time so I said he'll bust and we'll be whipping him all day twice a year hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....good call....and I said Bledsoe would save our team...and That Trent Edwards is the next Brady....hmmmmmmmmm....not so good with the QB's

Now LB's that's a whole different story...and DT's as well...and I'm pretty good with OL to...I guess because I played DT I know big guys better?....

That being said...LINVAL JOSEPH IS A BEAST...IUPATI is the best linemen in the draft...raw but best talent...I WISH we needed a guard not a tackle...though I think he could play ANYWHERE HE WANTED TO on our line...

Hahaha, I hear ya. It's funny though, I played DE/OLB in college and honestly I can't evaluate LBs or DEs for the life of me. I don't know why. I find I have a better track record with positions other than the ones I played. Makes no sense to me.

That said, I am by no means an expert and don't mean to pass myself off as one. I could be 100% wrong about Tebow. And if I am, I'll happily admit it. I just don't think I'll be eating any crow in the near future.

If you want Tebow, why not just wait till the sixth round and pick up Armanti Edwards...at least he's got break away speed...

I'm with you on Tebow just not having the raw skill for QB in the NFL...I hope he does because he's really a good kid, but I just don't see it happening...