UPDATED: Tim Tebow, QB, Denver Broncos

Kingfish

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After watching Grudens special last night on ESPN I have to say that Tebow's interview is far better then any of the other quarterbacks. He knows what is being said about him and he is dying to prove everyone wrong. I think he will do whatever it takes to make it as an NFL quarterback and I think he would be a great addition to the Bills. I would love it if we go OT at number 9, and I really would like to trade back in late in the first round and grab him. Maybe ship Marshawn out for a second, or third round pick? I know everyone has different opinions on him, you either love him or hate him. But someone like that is committed and dedicated to do whatever it takes to be successful and win. I would rather the bills take a risk on someone like that then some of the other first round choices they have had lately- Lynch, McCargo, Whitner.. Atleast if it ends up not working out you can not fault them for trying.. atleast they would be going after a proven winner, and someone with a good head on his shoulders unlike someone like Lynch.

After watching Grudens special last night on ESPN I have to say that Tebow's interview is far better then any of the other quarterbacks. He knows what is being said about him and he is dying to prove everyone wrong. I think he will do whatever it takes to make it as an NFL quarterback and I think he would be a great addition to the Bills. I would love it if we go OT at number 9, and I really would like to trade back in late in the first round and grab him. Maybe ship Marshawn out for a second, or third round pick? I know everyone has different opinions on him, you either love him or hate him. But someone like that is committed and dedicated to do whatever it takes to be successful and win. I would rather the bills take a risk on someone like that then some of the other first round choices they have had lately- Lynch, McCargo, Whitner.. Atleast if it ends up not working out you can not fault them for trying.. atleast they would be going after a proven winner, and someone with a good head on his shoulders unlike someone like Lynch.

Why burn picks to trade back into the first round when he's likely to be there at #41? This is the mistake the previous regime made with Poz - trade down not up!!

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football...mped_deliv.html

Anyone want Tim Tebow? As NFL draft approaches, eyes on Florida QB's revamped delivery

By Ebenezer Samuel

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Saturday, April 17th 2010, 4:11 PM

Elbow position. Arm slot. Watch the angle of your wrist. Hold the ball high. Drive from your legs. Do not wind up. Do not take your time.

And do not, under any circumstances, throw the football the way you have your entire life.

These thoughts now flash through Tim Tebow's mind whenever he drops back to pass. They are the result of months of nonstop training, the product of taking multiple snaps with quarterback gurus yelling into his ear. They are hardly natural and yet deeply ingrained, thanks to continuous daily repetitions.

And these tenets could hold the key to unlocking one of the biggest mysteries of this week's NFL draft, which begins Thursday. With four days to go, Oklahoma's Sam Bradford seems a lock to be the top pick, followed by defensive tackles Ndamukong Suh and Gerald McCoy. Clemson's C.J. Spiller is the consensus top tailback, Tennessee's Eric Berry the top safety.

But Tebow remains the enigma. No one will ever question his work ethic, desire or focus, and personnel people around the league know he'll never embarrass the franchise; the son of Christian missionaries, Tebow is more likely to show up on The 700 Club than TMZ.

Still, few expected the University of Florida star, who in 2007 became the first sophomore to win the Heisman Trophy, to ride his presence and work ethic up draft boards, yet that's what he's doing. Just a few weeks ago, one of the most decorated players in NCAA history seemed like a second- or third-round pick. Now? Despite Cowboys owner Jerry Jones' disparaging remarks caught on video last week, Tebow just might vault into the first round.

"You want Tim Tebow on your football team," says former Raiders and Bucs coach Jon Gruden, who spent time with Tebow at his QB camp. "Somebody that's got a down-the-road philosophy or position will take him, and take him earlier than some people expect."

No one would be shocked if Tebow slides because he's hardly perfect. Yes, he won two BCS crowns and has been lauded for that clean-cut persona, and yes, at 6-3 and nearly 240 pounds, he's as capable of steamrollering a linebacker as he is of outrunning a safety.

But he also hails from Urban Meyer's gimmicky spread offense, which produced 49ers quarterback Alex Smith, a former No. 1 pick who sports a career NFL passer rating of 69.2. In that offense, Tebow never took a snap from under center, which has led to sloppy dropbacks.

"He's got to work on his footwork," Gruden said. "And (Florida) spent a lot of time on the option — how many different options did they have? There'll be no more of that."

Add in the awkward throwing motion Tebow showcased in Gainesville, and some coaches are leery.

"If you go with the delivery he had, he will really struggle in this league," said Bills coach Chan Gailey in February.

That's why Tebow has tried to rebuild his mechanics. At Florida, he sometimes struggled to get passes off. A typical quarterback quickly gets to the "cocked position," with the ball near his head and arm ready to throw. But in college, Tebow held the ball low and used a windmill-like windup to deliver the football. He led the nation in passing efficiency last season, but many believe his poor form will lead to turnovers at the next level.

So after the season ended, Tebow started working with quarterback guru Zeke Bratkowski. Bratkowski — who has worked with Michael Vick and Philip Rivers — rebuilt Tebow's form, starting from the ground up, teaching him to drive with his legs.

"Some of these quarterbacks go four years never taking a snap under center," says Bratkowski. "You're not dropping back, so you're not using your feet to throw, so you have this long throwing motion to generate speed and power.

"That was the first thing we talked about."

A few weeks later, former 49ers offensive coordinator Marc Trestman and erstwhile NFL coach Sam Wyche pitched in. Days began with a series of drills. Bratkowski had already given Tebow things to work on, like deep passes with his eyes closed so he could "feel" each throw. Trestman added to the lengthy list, bringing drills that focused on footwork and helping Tebow with his dropback.

Wyche, who once worked with Joe Montana in San Francisco, forced Tebow to keep both hands on the ball at all times and made subtle adjustments to his wrist placement to help prevent winding up.

At the end of each session, Tebow and his trio of advisers headed to a classroom to tear through pro tape and offensive theory. Tebow had spent four years making simple reads and managing the option in the spread, but still impressed his tutors with his ability to pick up pro-style concepts.

"I tried to trick him," says Wyche. "I tried to throw him curveballs. But his knowledge of the game … you could tell he'd studied the game. He understood offensive theory, and he understood defensive theory and strategy."

By the time Florida held its Pro Day in mid-March, Tebow looked more like Donovan McNabb than he did himself, holding the ball high on each pass, and showcasing his mobility on rollouts.

"I made a lot of changes and improved a lot of things," Tebow said after the workout. "There's still a lot of room for improvement … But I think I made a lot of strides."

Few teams consider Tebow a finished product, but he's shown consistent progress. That's led to workouts with a handful of teams including the Chiefs, Vikings and Broncos since Pro Day, and a dinner with Bill Belichick.

I think people are starting to come around," says former Cowboys personnel man Gil Brandt. "Tim Tebow has the ability to do some things. I think somebody will take him in the first round."

Still, questions linger.

"My experience is when the bullets are live, you revert back to the way you threw the ball when you were 7 years old," says former Florida quarterback and one-time Giants backup Jesse Palmer.

Yet NFL evaluators have looked past that fact, choosing to concentrate on Tebow's work ethic. They believe that even if he struggles with his mechanics, he'll find a way to win, just as he did at Florida.

Scouts see the toughness, and remember the impassioned speech Tebow gave after losing to Ole Miss as a junior, the speech that spurred Florida to a national title. They recall his presence during interviews at February's NFL scouting combine. Tebow may not be the on-field prototype, but he is a model field general.

And that goes beyond football, too. Nearly every coach at the NFL combine spoke glowingly of Tebow's religious beliefs, and Gruden called him the kind of person "I'd want my sons to be when they were off the field."

"This guy is very focused and passionate about his beliefs, and it doesn't waver," Gruden said. "He doesn't have a lot of interest in things other than his faith, his family and his football."

Most coaches believe that work ethic and focus will keep Tebow from placing himself in Ben Roethlisberger-esque situations and simultaneously help him overcome his iffy passing fundamentals — especially after a few years toting a clipboard. But he'll still offer immediate return to any team that lands him because of his athleticism and his willingness to play any role.

"I think he'd do anything you asked him to do if it helped with winning," says Gruden. "But I really think he wants to be a quarterback."

And the more time people spend around Tebow, the more they believe that he is a quarterback. Gruden believes Tebow will be a surefire NFL starter at some point. Wyche thinks so, too.

"Every quarterback has a chance of not making it," says Wyche. "But I'll tell you about Tim. The odds of him making it big – not just making it, but making it big – are real good. This kid is special."

He wins, he's a hard worker, he's a leader, he's athletic & mobile, he has good arm strength, he is tough, he's football smart, he has motivation to be successful, he had the highest qb rating in college football last season.

He may not be great right away but I think that he will figure things out in order to do well as an NFL QB.

He is the type of person & player that is certainly is worth taking a chance on.

Why would you not want this guy on your team?

I agree, also. He did good in college with completion percentage, with winning, and with scoring. His accuracy isn't a problem, it's his delivery. Well, he can adjust that to a point where it can work. Even if it isn't great, he can learn to compensate for it. But the drive to win, the willingness to work at it until he gets it, and not just gets it, but is great - if that could rub off on many of the teammates then it is worth it. That attitude alone, if it could spread around, would be worth a first round pick, because it'd make everyone better. I say, if our coaches think he can be successful, then take him when they are sure they can.

Whatever happens in the draft with him will be very interesting. He will have a lot of pressure to prove people wrong about him in the NFL. It will be interesting to see if the majority of scouts were right or wrong.

If he's going in the late first round then the Bills won't get him unless they trade back in the first or down in the second.

Tebow is on a mission. This kid is gonna run through walls to become a good quarterback in this league, and that's the kind of guy I want. I'll go down with a guy who will do whatever it takes even if he fails, then a guy who could be good, but you just don't know about the rest of him.

What I dont understand about Tebow: he decided to go back to college to work on his QB skills and obtain a higher grade in this year's draft. He hired someone prior to last year's college football season to work with him on his mechanics, yet this revamped throwing motion was never displayed during the season. He has yet again hired people to work with him, but I think his muscle memory may be set. As they say, "you can train a fighter to do things this way and that way, but the moment he gets hit, he reverts back to the guy that he always was."

Tebow is on a mission. This kid is gonna run through walls to become a good quarterback in this league, and that's the kind of guy I want. I'll go down with a guy who will do whatever it takes even if he fails, then a guy who could be good, but you just don't know about the rest of him.

That is the thing about Tebow, I wouldn't bet against him, ever. He may not have the mechanics or whatever "scouts" look for but he has that intangible of leadership and a drive to win that is unmatched by all but a handful of players in any sport. Is he worth the nine spot, can we afford the gamble? Those are the questions that separate the Bill Polians from the also rans of the league.

That is the thing about Tebow, I wouldn't bet against him, ever. He may not have the mechanics or whatever "scouts" look for but he has that intangible of leadership and a drive to win that is unmatched by all but a handful of players in any sport. Is he worth the nine spot, can we afford the gamble? Those are the questions that separate the Bill Polians from the also rans of the league.

Bill Polian doesn't think Tebow will be a franchise QB.

What I dont understand about Tebow: he decided to go back to college to work on his QB skills and obtain a higher grade in this year's draft. He hired someone prior to last year's college football season to work with him on his mechanics, yet this revamped throwing motion was never displayed during the season. He has yet again hired people to work with him, but I think his muscle memory may be set. As they say, "you can train a fighter to do things this way and that way, but the moment he gets hit, he reverts back to the guy that he always was."

The last sentence implies that in boxing or mma that once a fighter is hit he reverts back to what he was in the past. While true with a fighter who has a pea sized heart, I don't agree with technique. Do you watch boxing or mma? I can rattle off a list of fighters who have evolved and changed their game and have won championships. Pacquio is an example of a fighter who really changed his fighting style and is pound for pound one of the better fighters after training with Freddie Roach. Ali use to change his style on a fight by fight basis. People can retrain themselves to do tasks with their opposite hand after accidents, what makes you think that he can't train himself to hold the ball higher and not loop his throws? To me, it seems that it is possible and he clearly has the will to put the effort in.

Now is he worth a first or second rounder knowing that he is a work in progress? I wouldnt draft him at 9. Hope we get him in the second or third.

I want an LT, or a NT with the first pick, whether we trade down or not. If Tebow is around with the 2nd round i would take him. I feel a lot better with him than Colt Mccoy or even Bradford.

He will bring in a great work ethic, plus he is big and strong, Thats the type of qb we need in B-LO. If we get him.

plus the type of O thats coming, will fit him here

Cut Edwards and Brohm. Go with Fitz, get another vet.

I dont want clausen at the #9 pick.

I truly believe he will be a good solid NFL Qb that will play for 10yrs.

CS