Did the D&C stop covering the Bills?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bills sign two free agents that are potential starters and all they run is the AP story? Anybody know what's going on? Lori?

APPARENTLY WHEN IT COMES TO THE BILLS ONLY THE TRUE FANS CARE !!! UNLESS YOU SIGN T.O. OF COARSE .

Bills sign two free agents that are potential starters and all they run is the AP story? Anybody know what's going on? Lori?

I live in Rochester and you have to understand, the D&C is pathetic. They're down to maybe a handful of real reporters and no copy editors. The stuff is unreadable. It's a damn shame but the paper is simply lame. As a former Buffalonian, you don't know what you have until it's gone. The Buff News is a much better product.

I live in Rochester and you have to understand, the D&C is pathetic. They're down to maybe a handful of real reporters and no copy editors. The stuff is unreadable. It's a damn shame but the paper is simply lame. As a former Buffalonian, you don't know what you have until it's gone. The Buff News is a much better product.

The Buffalo News is somewhere between a real good and great newspaper. It doesn't get the credit it deserves as far as pure coverage goes. (Also its prep coverage has improved incredibly in the past 10 years.)

I'm not trying to bash the paper, and I understand if they did. I live in NYC, and the papers have cut back on covering teams on the road. I just want to know.

Anything that is tilted towards good news about the Buffalo Bills Sal and Leo seem to miss. But if there is a problem they are on it.

Yep. You can always count on Sal to b*tch on Twitter about the latest Bills move or lack thereof.

The Buffalo News is somewhere between a real good and great newspaper. It doesn't get the credit it deserves as far as pure coverage goes. (Also its prep coverage has improved incredibly in the past 10 years.)

Keith McShea kicks some serious butt on preps. He was already going to a ton of games before he added the liveblogs, videos, and all that. Whenever we start talking about preps coverage on our sportswriting board, I brag him up something fierce, because I think he's doing great work.

As for the D+C, I expect them to run wire for something like this. To be honest, that's why it's there.

Leo's no longer on the beat except for columns off home games (Scott Pitoniak's former role), and while the Bills are Sal's primary responsibility, he also has other assignments. And don't even bother asking about Matthews. Plus, like Chuck Pollock at the TH, they're 70 miles away, meaning they need to have decent advance notice of any press conferences/availability to make it there.

They're also a Gannett shop, and that does make a difference; GCI has emphasized shifting to AP and sharing stories with other papers in the chain. (Penny-pinching? You bet.) One near NYC used to cover all the city teams, but last summer, they decided to drop those beats -- and lay off the writers -- to go with wire copy for everything except Yankees. Bad news for those reporters, obviously, but also for the fans. For example, their Giants and Jets blogs are still linked on their sports page, but they stopped last Aug. 26.

(Course, I guess that's better than what the D+C did to Pitoniak -- his photo was removed and his blog deleted within hours of his layoff, much like the Bills editing Dick Jauron out of the team photo.)

The Buffalo News is one of the most solvent newspapers in an industry which is very bankrupt.

The Buffalo News is one of the most solvent newspapers in an industry which is very bankrupt.

True. They haven't completely missed the buyout trend, but unlike Gannett (and most of the other chains), Warren Buffett isn't slashing jobs left and right to try to squeeze the last drop of profit out of the paper.

True. They haven't completely missed the buyout trend, but unlike Gannett (and most of the other chains), Warren Buffett isn't slashing jobs left and right to try to squeeze the last drop of profit out of the paper.

It's no McClatchy!

(Course, I guess that's better than what the D+C did to Pitoniak -- his photo was removed and his blog deleted within hours of his layoff, much like the Bills editing Dick Jauron out of the team photo.)

I'm glad SP's Bills related columns are linked to TBD. He's a fine writer, and it's absurd he was cast aside so casually. Look forward to seeing him hopefully at the Press Radio Club dinner on May 12th. Buddy is a long time Saints fan.

For the record, I'm keeping my team photo just to demonstrate to people how bad they botched that picture. Of course I'm sure something's online with that as well.

I'm glad SP's Bills related columns are linked to TBD. He's a fine writer, and it's absurd he was cast aside so casually. Look forward to seeing him hopefully at the Press Radio Club dinner on May 12th. Buddy is a long time Saints fan.

For the record, I'm keeping my team photo just to demonstrate to people how bad they botched that picture. Of course I'm sure something's online with that as well.

Me too. We're fortunate Scott agreed to share his work with us, and the general consensus of people who know him much better than I do says, "great writer, but an even better person."

As for the team photo, there's a thread here with links to some .jpgs, and Tim followed up with a blog post which included a very nice Trotsky reference:

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/...-team-photoshop

Warren Buffett is one of the wisest men in the investment arena. While a lot of investor sharks are lookng for the quick buck he is looking further down the road to the sounder and bigger buck. Although he might not live to gain from his substantial investments in this very down period his company (Berkshire Hathaway) will in the end do very well.

When Warren speaks I listen. The man has little flair but a lot of substance.

Why are you yelling?

ROFL.....I always said the same thing to a guy at work who was an older guy that didn't understand anything about email "etiquette" and used to type in all caps because he would never bother to unlock the caps lock(our normal program required the caps lock on---it was a 20 year old program that ran on a UNIX server). After a few of those emails I was like "why are you shouting at people??" and he had no idea what I was talking about...used to tease him unmercifully about it...hahaha