Anyone buying an iPad?

stevestojan

Is this another the neo-pc users vs. the fascist apple crowd thread?

Actually, there has been some level headed perspective that each in their own way offers advantages and disadvantages. As someone who now uses both I can firmly say I see this being the case. I've only just begun to play with Windows 7 so hard for me to say how much so but in the press the claims are that it has a much more "mac like" feel to it.

I think what it really may come down to is simply you like what you are used to the best. The biggest hard core differences are the fact that the business world is nearly universally tied to windows and Macs are more secure from a virus perspective. After that it is likely a debate about look and feel.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So is it "new" in the last 5-6 years? My Photoshop class was in 2002 or 2003, and it only had 1 button in the computer lab.

No explanation for this past weekend except as you said, maybe the mouse was broken. *shrug*

Must have been broken. No drivers needed. I've been using a three-button scroll wheel mouse with my machines for at least 5-6 years now.

So is it "new" in the last 5-6 years? My Photoshop class was in 2002 or 2003, and it only had 1 button in the computer lab.

Not that I know of. It's probably much longer than that, my memory isn't so great anymore. :rolleyes:

interesting. i see they have a mac version. ill check it out this weekend, but i know i wont end up switching. if for no other reason, ipod/iphone syncing. but thanks for the suggestion, i WILL give it a once over.

Hmm, I'm not sure how far along the Mac version is, but it rocks on linux!

Is this article accurate?

http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/article/the...use_--_oh_wait/

Specifically:

"Yes OS-X and the Mac will support multibutton mice. It even comes with a mouse that is multibutton. But by default it works as a single, with the left and right buttons doing the same thing.

If true, that would explain why when I clicked the right mouse button in class last weekend, that nothing happened... I'm still very curious. :angry:

I think he was just saying that he was sad that apple hasn't made a two-button mouse yet.

Is this article accurate?

http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/article/the...use_--_oh_wait/

Specifically:

"Yes OS-X and the Mac will support multibutton mice. It even comes with a mouse that is multibutton. But by default it works as a single, with the left and right buttons doing the same thing.

If true, that would explain why when I clicked the right mouse button in class last weekend, that nothing happened... I'm still very curious. :angry:

I'm not certain, I'm on a MacBook Pro. You'll have to ask someone who has bought an iMac recently. The "by default" thing makes me think it can be easily changed to have the right button do the same thing as command+click, but I can't know that as of now.

I'm not certain, I'm on a MacBook Pro. You'll have to ask someone who has bought an iMac recently. The "by default" thing makes me think it can be easily changed to have the right button do the same thing as command+click, but I can't know that as of now.

OSX System Preferences: Mouse

http://images.apple.com/hk/en/magicmouse/i...re_20091020.jpg

Check the Secondary Click box and right-click is activated. Done.

First off, let me say that I'm a techno junkie. If it's out, new, and the hotness, it must be mine. I am the guy who buys new phones every three months outright just because I need to. If you want to see me go insane, watch me when the Sprint Evo comes out in June....

With that being said, I cannot justify buying the iPad. I did all my research, I even got up and went to the Apple store on the morning it came out, but I just couldn't bring myself to buy one and here is why:

1) Apple Proprietary - I know it's not meant to be like a netbook/laptop, but the functionality is geared that ways. However, you can't save files or download anything off the web. So, the idea of using it for anything besides on the spot reward is out of the question. The thing doesn't even have a USB drive.

2) Internet - This goes back to the USB drive, I have an aircard and obviously won't work. If I want to use it online, I either have to be in a Wi-Fi location or have to spend over $100 more to get a version that lets me pay $20 a month for At&t broadband.

3) FLASH!!!! - Steve Jobs can absolutely kiss my @ss on this one. I use my laptop to travel all the time. Main purpose, watching videos. 75% of all websites that stream videos use Flash. But, because Steve Jobs has a beef with Adobe, there is no Flash. So, unless the site you use made a parallel version just for Apple, not video. That means no Hulu, NBC.com, Facebook apps, nothing. Jobs is waiting for HTML 5 to take over, and that is atleast a year away, if it even happens. I'm sorry, I understand a lot of the control decisions Apple makes, but this one is just plain stupid.

End result, this thing is going to sell to every Apple fan out there and I understand why. But to the people who want a casual internet, travel multi-media device, it just doesn't cut it for me. Half of the sites I visit will not work on it and I have to rely on At&t coverage or Wi-Fi for internet.

I wanted to love this thing. I really did. But I agree with whoever said that a Netbook serves more functionality for less the cost. Atleast you can do what you want to on it. I just get heated thinking about the iPad because it could have been dominating. Give it a USB port, let me install a broadband card or even controlled apps, and let me use Flash, this thing is mine in a second.

First off, let me say that I'm a techno junkie. If it's out, new, and the hotness, it must be mine. I am the guy who buys new phones every three months outright just because I need to. If you want to see me go insane, watch me when the Sprint Evo comes out in June....

With that being said, I cannot justify buying the iPad. I did all my research, I even got up and went to the Apple store on the morning it came out, but I just couldn't bring myself to buy one and here is why:

1) Apple Proprietary - I know it's not meant to be like a netbook/laptop, but the functionality is geared that ways. However, you can't save files or download anything off the web. So, the idea of using it for anything besides on the spot reward is out of the question. The thing doesn't even have a USB drive.

2) Internet - This goes back to the USB drive, I have an aircard and obviously won't work. If I want to use it online, I either have to be in a Wi-Fi location or have to spend over $100 more to get a version that lets me pay $20 a month for At&t broadband.

3) FLASH!!!! - Steve Jobs can absolutely kiss my @ss on this one. I use my laptop to travel all the time. Main purpose, watching videos. 75% of all websites that stream videos use Flash. But, because Steve Jobs has a beef with Adobe, there is no Flash. So, unless the site you use made a parallel version just for Apple, not video. That means no Hulu, NBC.com, Facebook apps, nothing. Jobs is waiting for HTML 5 to take over, and that is atleast a year away, if it even happens. I'm sorry, I understand a lot of the control decisions Apple makes, but this one is just plain stupid.

End result, this thing is going to sell to every Apple fan out there and I understand why. But to the people who want a casual internet, travel multi-media device, it just doesn't cut it for me. Half of the sites I visit will not work on it and I have to rely on At&t coverage or Wi-Fi for internet.

I wanted to love this thing. I really did. But I agree with whoever said that a Netbook serves more functionality for less the cost. Atleast you can do what you want to on it. I just get heated thinking about the iPad because it could have been dominating. Give it a USB port, let me install a broadband card or even controlled apps, and let me use Flash, this thing is mine in a second.

I'm not an "if apple makes it, its the best" type person, but i will address these points:

1) Its not a netbook, and in fact, at the keynote, Jobs explained why its not. I don't own a netbook (my wife has a dell mini) but I now use my ipad for 95% of the things I used my laptop for (I'm typing this post from my iPad). As far as not being able to save files? MANY apps have the ability to save files, just not in a folder on the "desktop". I use Office Pro daily at work, and i currently have 22 word files saved in it.

2) I have a Motorola Droid. With an app and some work, its now a wifi hot spot. There are several phones that have this functionality built in (Verizon's version of the palm pre, for example). I will agree though, that having that capability made the iPad far more productive for me as I can now use it throughout the day at work.

3) You used Facebook apps in your argument for Flash. Enough said.

I'm not an "if apple makes it, its the best" type person, but i will address these points:

1) Its not a netbook, and in fact, at the keynote, Jobs explained why its not. I don't own a netbook (my wife has a dell mini) but I now use my ipad for 95% of the things I used my laptop for (I'm typing this post from my iPad). As far as not being able to save files? MANY apps have the ability to save files, just not in a folder on the "desktop". I use Office Pro daily at work, and i currently have 22 word files saved in it. I understand that, I'm merely saying that for the functionality for what I wanted it for, I can get more out of the netbook for less

2) I have a Motorola Droid. With an app and some work, its now a wifi hot spot. There are several phones that have this functionality built in (Verizon's version of the palm pre, for example). I will agree though, that having that capability made the iPad far more productive for me as I can now use it throughout the day at work. But making your phone into a hotspot is $30 more per month, unless you are doing it unapproved or with a Palm Pre Plus

3) You used Facebook apps in your argument for Flash. Enough said. If you are using farmtown or MyTown, I would need to see a screenshot. Those are direct flash apps and the iPad doesn't support them. It still also doesn't address the other thousands of video sites that use flash

Your right that tons of sites use flash. Interestingly (or maybe frighteningly :angry:) many sites are moving to accommodate apple. Evil Steve jobs.

By the way, I love the product. Just hope jobs waits more than a month to cut the price in half.

And no comment on how my phone is a hotspot. :D

Just to show my love for gadgets. I'm replying using an iPad right now

So, I found a wifi fileshare that let's you put anything on this thing called airshare. So that alleviates one issue

I also like your hotspot plan. I have the moment and plan to get the evo. You'll have to pm me what you use

But lastly, appartenly there is an app by mocha that let's you access your r

Desktop. Now, if That is fast and I can stream all the flash sites

I hope all this works well causes I really want one

So does that make Bill Gates a good guy now?

as Apple's popularity has grown over the recent years, and their marketing has become more aggressive, the typical cynical backlash has started. it's "cool" to hate apple, and mac users (who are deemed to all be smug, coffee shop hipsters). it definitely doesnt make Bill Gates a good guy though.