Vikings sign Jimmy Kennedy

max of 6 million but wanted a grt to start.

who's next on the list ?

Why should the Bills have told him he would start? He has never been a starter at NT. Who negotiates that he will start? Ever? I have never heard of that?

I saw enough of Kennedy in St. Louis to tell you he is one lazy player. Seems like a good guy but not the guy you can build around.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The reputation was earned over many years by the owner's misguided decisions. He made the situation worse by hiring Levy as GM and following that up with making Brandon quasi-GM in 2008. Those moves were widely panned, but for a guy like Ralph who has hired non-football people for GM's, it's not a big deal.

Now, RW freely admits to the world in the Nix presser that he and Brandon didn't personally know anyone to interview on their list. Yes, the damage is done, and it's insurmountable.

For the Bills to get back to respectability, they need to win-NOW. Not tomorrow, not next week, but this season. But too many blind squirrels on TBD think just drafting well will erase the other problems you've talked about. Unfortunately, it will not.

Billsvet,

I think that you are going to have to accept on some kind of level that the bills may not be very good this next year.....we are going to be really young.

But I also think they will show signs of hope. I think the offense will be better.......I think the defense will struggle early and then gain momentum as the season goes on. Instead of fading at the end of the year it think this time might get better at the end.

Billsvet,

I think that you are going to have to accept on some kind of level that the bills may not be very good this next year.....we are going to be really young.

But I also think they will show signs of hope. I think the offense will be better.......I think the defense will struggle early and then gain momentum as the season goes on. Instead of fading at the end of the year it think this time might get better at the end.

JfH I've already accepted they're staring a top 5 pick in the 2011 draft down. As a matter of fact, they have a real shot at getting the top pick and having a chance at a Locker, Luck or a Mallett. It's too early to say for now.

Thinking and hoping the team is not enough to convince me they will be. They've got too many changes, particularly new offensive and defensive schemes to learn. That, and not enough draft picks to address all of their needs, including QB, LT, NT, DE, OLB, WR, and TE.

JfH I've already accepted they're staring a top 5 pick in the 2011 draft down. As a matter of fact, they have a real shot at getting the top pick and having a chance at a Locker, Luck or a Mallett. It's too early to say for now.

Thinking and hoping the team is not enough to convince me they will be. They've got too many changes, particularly new offensive and defensive schemes to learn. That, and not enough draft picks to address all of their needs, including QB, LT, NT, DE, OLB, WR, and TE.

Ahhh.....but here is the thing.

Knowing that this team will be a top 5 pick team next year what sense would it make to bring in high priced free agents (in a very crappy free agent pool)?

None of these guys are difference makers......I would much rather see this team fortify the lines......THEN see what they are going to do the following year.

Hmm...Interesting thoughts. And I think I agree with most with the exception of one big caveat. I'd argue that the Browns have probably made more bad moves than us these past few years. The difference is that the owner goes out and hires someone with serious credibility. Swoosh - FAs and players suddenly believe.

I don't doubt that Nix and Gailey have some skill sets. But whether they have enough juice and credibility to inspire and convince folks that things will turn around is an entirely different matter. We can sit around here and say well they just need to draft well and win games and everything will be OK. But the truth is people inside *and* outside the franchise need to believe we'll turn it around. That doesn't happen by hiring marginally successful guys and inserting them into leadership roles and hoping/believing they will succeed.

It happens by hiring an inspiring leader and giving him the tools to succeed. Cleveland is making some moves that if Nix/Gailey made them we'd be questioning their sanity. But because it's Holmgren he is being given the benefit of the doubt. It's called credibility.

Right now we as a franchise just don't have it. Sure it will come by winning. But I'll wager a beer that no one currently outside of the two of them believe it will happen. That's the problem.

They need to target some solid, inspiring veterans to bring a different culture into the locker room. You can't coach that. You need guys to show the present Bills how that's done. There's only a couple right now that I think are legit leaders on the team. Problem is they haven't won anything.

More than ability, this team needs inspiration. Guys who can rally the troops and give the fans a reason to believe. And yes, that will cost more than a roll of tape and cleats.

C

A LOT of FAs shop their services around, find the best (only) offer and bring it back to their own club to match. It's a relief for their own team's FO, because the OTHER team does the negotiating and gives the player and his team a sense of what the market value for his services is. Then they only have to decide if they want to match the offer or not.

This is used car salesmanship 101 folks. Nothing miraculous here. Move on.

It happens by hiring an inspiring leader and giving him the tools to succeed. Cleveland is making some moves that if Nix/Gailey made them we'd be questioning their sanity. But because it's Holmgren he is being given the benefit of the doubt. It's called credibility.

Cleveland is paying Delhomme 7 million in 2010. :P

Your new GM is a top-level experienced scout.

Your new GM says he wants to build through the draft primarily.

Your new GM says he wants a coaching staff of good teachers.

Your new GM replaces pro personnel Guy (literally) with a guy from Pittsburgh, known for building through the draft.

Your new GM says he wants to expand scouting staff.

What part of this plan is hard to understand?

Now we just need to unload more tradeable dead weight (Whitner, Marshawn), trade out of the #9 spot and get more picks, and it starts to come together.

As Flashy as building in the drft is... You are exactly right! people want flash, like TO and that didnt really work out.. Teams are built in the draft!! Look at the Redskins they always make a flashy move and they stink...

My original thought was right on point. He was strictly brought in to make the fans think they are doing something. They were gonna offer him like 2 mill a year and he'd sign elsewhere. good job FO.

Nothing personal, I'm sure you are a smart person but your theory is really dumb.

In your mind, what percentage of the fan base is successfully appeased by these so-called artificial attempts at signing someone decent? Assuming you are not one of those, what make you think others are?

3 mediocre UFA's in. 2 leave without signings a contract. Pro personnel and Overdorf are working wonders this year.

Jimmy Kennedy said he wanted a chance to win so he signed with a team that could have a chance if Favre returns. People know the Bills are in full on rebuild mode and not going to win more than 5 games next season.

yep. 5 max.

Ahhh.....but here is the thing.

Knowing that this team will be a top 5 pick team next year what sense would it make to bring in high priced free agents (in a very crappy free agent pool)?

None of these guys are difference makers......I would much rather see this team fortify the lines......THEN see what they are going to do the following year.

Makes sense to build the trenches with with years draft and look for a QB with next years draft.

No need to overpay for mediocre free agents right now.

I sure would have like getting Wade and Kennedy though. Clearly, we are on a three year rebuild plan.

yep. 5 max.

Jimmy Kennedy said he wanted to start --- not gonna happen in Minny.

He also said he wanted to win --- not gonna in Buffalo, not this year anyway.

To leave here without a contract offer is just bizzare. Means they were not on the same ground at all.

He used the Bills to get Minnesota's attention.

Hmm...Interesting thoughts. And I think I agree with most with the exception of one big caveat. I'd argue that the Browns have probably made more bad moves than us these past few years. The difference is that the owner goes out and hires someone with serious credibility. Swoosh - FAs and players suddenly believe.

I don't doubt that Nix and Gailey have some skill sets. But whether they have enough juice and credibility to inspire and convince folks that things will turn around is an entirely different matter. We can sit around here and say well they just need to draft well and win games and everything will be OK. But the truth is people inside *and* outside the franchise need to believe we'll turn it around. That doesn't happen by hiring marginally successful guys and inserting them into leadership roles and hoping/believing they will succeed.

Right now we as a franchise just don't have it. Sure it will come by winning. But I'll wager a beer that no one currently outside of the two of them believe it will happen. That's the problem.

They need to target some solid, inspiring veterans to bring a different culture into the locker room. You can't coach that. You need guys to show the present Bills how that's done. There's only a couple right now that I think are legit leaders on the team. Problem is they haven't won anything.

More than ability, this team needs inspiration. Guys who can rally the troops and give the fans a reason to believe. And yes, that will cost more than a roll of tape and cleats.

C

Great post. We as a team have earned the reputation of not having any credibility. All these great young players that Nix is supposedly going to draft will need some very established solid veterans to show them the way. I would be quite happy if we can bring in a good receiver and two more front seven veterans on defense thru free agency. That would give us two solid vets on each side of the ball from free agency for those of you who can't count above one. (Yes I think Cornell Green will be solid-I believe Oakland played with much more heart than we did last year-just watch a replay of their wins at Pittsburg and Denver) These veterans will be the mortar that will hold the foundation of the team together.

And who is going to be our QB? I think it is very important than this new regime give the fans some idea of what they are planning on doing. It is called accountability, and I believe they owe that much to us given how bad the Bills have been for so long.