One Nation Under God

Beerball

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are not supposed to speak politics here, you know. You might get a nasty PM. Depending on your view. Delete your post and re-post in the PPP section, please. That's what I have been told.

I'm sure the feeling is mutual...

Ahem...

I've always heard it was the Knights of Columbus that was the moving force to putting Under God into the pledge, so I guess we are all pledging to a Roman Catholic God, in case we wondered which God was getting all the pledges. I'm catholic, so wtf...I'm kind of happy seeing protestants acknowledge the pope.

Ahem...

For the skeptics on the fence...

"Belief is a wise wager. Granted that faith cannot be proved, what harm will come to you if you gamble on its truth and it proves false? If you gain, you gain all; if you lose, you lose nothing. Wager, then, without hesitation, that He exists."

Blaise Pascal

"Belief is a wise wager. Granted that faith cannot be proved, what harm will come to you if you gamble on its truth and it proves false? If you gain, you gain all; if you lose, you lose nothing. Wager, then, without hesitation, that He exists.

Blaise Pascal

You're too smart (at least I think so) than to cite Pascal's wager, Cincy.

And I was more commenting on how you called out Promo for bringing politics into this, and with the next post you throw out a theist taunt.

And I was more commenting on how you called out Promo for bringing politics into this, and with the next post you throw out a theist taunt.

Pascal's wager is overrated. I know that I can't know there is a god. What does Pascal suggest? That I need to fake god out and pretend that I believe.

Ridiculous. If there's a god, I doubt he'd be thrilled to know I was faking my belief.

Pascal's wager is overrated. I know that I can't know there is a god. What does Pascal suggest? That I need to fake god out and pretend that I believe.

Ridiculous. If there's a god, I doubt he'd be thrilled to know I was faking my belief.

Also, which god are you going to "wager" on? Zeus? Anubis? Thor? Allah?

Pascal's wager is a load of ****.

The day is late, Levi, and I have to get up and start preparing my wife's food when she returns to me from her work. I'll revisit your comments at a later time.

So, time for you to ponder over assumptions you assigned to me. We shall speak again.

For the skeptics on the fence...

"Belief is a wise wager. Granted that faith cannot be proved, what harm will come to you if you gamble on its truth and it proves false? If you gain, you gain all; if you lose, you lose nothing. Wager, then, without hesitation, that He exists."

Blaise Pascal

Because if God is all-knowing he would know your "faith" is just a hedge and not legit. It also demeans the entire premise of faith and belief if the only reason you do possess faith is not for love of God but to avoid some eternal punshment.

Also, if God is the ultimate being, why does he need adoration from mortals? I mean it really strikes me as very petty and venal, quite un-godlike, to throw lightning bolts at people who don't kiss up.

PTR

Because if God is all-knowing he would know your "faith" is just a hedge and not legit. It also demeans the entire premise of faith and belief if the only reason you do possess faith is for love of God but to avoid some eternal punshment.

Also, if God is the ultimate being, why does he need adoration from mortals? I mean it really strikes me as very petty and venal, quite un-godlike, to throw lightning bolts at people who don't kiss up.

PTR

Also, if god is all knowing, he would understand skepticism. I mean, a logical being would almost be expected to question and disbelieve based on the lack of concrete evidence of a god. He probably would be disappointed if we didn't. I think god would understand this and be forgiving as long as you lived a good life without harming or taking advantage of others.

I see alot of cats here that don't have a belief in God. That's cool and I hope I don't come off as preachy,but I kinda feel sorry for you guys. I was raised Catholic and have a deep belief in God. It's a comforting feeling that I guess you guys can't know. I know there's more than just the material world that we are now living in. When I go to mass I always leave with 2 things. 1.a little nugget of wisdom that I take from the Homily (sermon). Sometimes it's something that applies directly to everyday life,sometimes it's just a different way of looking at things that opens your eyes a bit. 2.a warm,content feeling of confidence.I'm not sure why,other than it just reaffirms your faith. Like I said I hope I don't come off as trying to force my beliefs on anybody. Just wanted to share my thoughts on the subject.

I see alot of cats here that don't have a belief in God. That's cool and I hope I don't come off as preachy,but I kinda feel sorry for you guys. I was raised Catholic and have a deep belief in God. It's a comforting feeling that I guess you guys can't know. I know there's more than just the material world that we are now living in. When I go to mass I always leave with 2 things. 1.a little nugget of wisdom that I take from the Homily (sermon). Sometimes it's something that applies directly to everyday life,sometimes it's just a different way of looking at things that opens your eyes a bit. 2.a warm,content feeling of confidence.I'm not sure why,other than it just reaffirms your faith. Like I said I hope I don't come off as trying to force my beliefs on anybody. Just wanted to share my thoughts on the subject.

Yup wisdom and confidence can only be achieved in a church. :censored: