jimmy kennedy visiting buffalo tomor

Another hole filled if he signs. Man, I love what Nix and Gailey are doing. At this rate, we can get Troy Smith or Jake Delhomme and the QB problems are solved as well.

As Tim Graham pointed out on his blog, Kennedy probably benefitted from playing beside other outstanding DL in Minnesota, one of which is arguably the best pass rusher in the game.

He's a depth signing, and just because he weighs 320 doesn't mean he's a bonafide NT-he's never played the position in 7 seasons.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can somebody explain why he would be a better option at NT than Stroud ?

Seems to me that Stroud has as good a chance at transitioning to NT as Kennedy.

I'd be happy if they signed him just to have another NFL caliber DT on the roster, but I just don't see how he fits the need any more that Stroud.

He is bigger and most likely stronger if they are looking at him for NT. Stroud may be able to do this but he is fast enough to play DE and has said himself he is a better fit at DE in a 3-4.

Thanks.

So the D Ends seem like they will be quite big. Stroud, Spencer Johnson and Kennedy are all at or near 300.

Seems like when we played the 3-4 back in 90's, the Ends were not that big. Bruce and Hansen were both under 280. And our NTs were not that big either.

It will be interesting to see what this beefier front 4 can do against the run.

That is nothin there is speculation that Haynesworth will plat DE in washington.

That's just too bad! All the money these guys make they should jump if they are told to jump and play NT if they are asked to play NT. They all think it's about them, and unfortunately the team loses out in the end, which means everyone loses. Some teams realize this like N.England, Indy, Pittsburgh. Indy players were hurt about not playing starters their final 2 games of the year that could have given them a perfect season. Instead, the players generally kept their mouths shut, and did as instructed. Even though they didn't like it they knew their coach believed this would give them a better opportunity to go to the Superbowl! They may have lossed the S.Bowl but they believed in working towards their ultimate goal as a team and it almost played out that way! Indy has some marginal players in some position, and some marquee players as well like Manning, but they are a great team! They are committed to the team and are willing to make sacrifices, unlike Stroud, Unlike Lynch and unlike several players in the Bills organization. Until the mentality of this team is upgraded along with their talent level this team is a sub .500 team. I aniticpate that this team will suffer dramatically this year with the 3-4 shift and I don't expect more than 5 wins. The following year maybe back to 6 or 7 wins. It will be a crucial third year where the Bills with spectacular drafting and personnel moves has the potential to be a 9-11 win team if

the pieces fall into place, and this team begins to play unselfishly as a team for a change. Players like Lynch, Parrish, Whitner, Edwards, will be long gone and a distint memory by then. You remember those names and in three years they won't be there...maybe as soon as this year on all accounts, but I doubt it. This team is a major rebuilding project despite Buddy Nix saying that they are not really all that far away! They couldn't be further!! Stroud will be long gone by then as well anyways! :doh:

He was actually honest and said he did not believe he would be a good fit. He is excited about playing DE.

Because Marcus Stroud is a big, well, MEOW. I think he's horrible. He can't anchor and will get moved by the slightest whiff of a block. The sooner he's obsolete, the better we'll be.

Stroud, who is our best lineman, was injured most of last year and played through it. He's a terrific player, and already fights double-teams on nearly every play.

But he's not that big a guy and he would wear down at the nose, that's the bottom line. Also, the thing that makes him rare is his combination of speed and strength and speed isn't much use at the nose, so it would be wasting him to use him there.

See below...

This should help answer MadDog's question...

D-Ends in a 3-4 are 300lbs or close to it...Stroud is about 310, Johnson is around 285...Jimmy Kennedy is about 330.

Phil Hansen was 6'5 278lbs...Bruce Smith was 6'4 268...so yeah, I would say they were bigger than Schobel who is 6'4 243lbs and Kelsay who is 6'4 261.

Ted Washington was 6'5 375lbs and Pat Williams was 6'3 327lbs...yes they are big too, much more so than Stroud or any other DT we have on this football team. All our DE's are better for OLB's in a 3-4 and our DT's are better suited for DE's.

Washington and Pat Williams came AFTER the really good Bills teams, unfortunately. If we had either guy during the glory years, I believe we would have one or two Lombardis on the shelf right now. Our nose tackle (not DT, but 3 - 4 nose tackle) was Jeff Wright, who weighed in at 274. And that is not a misprint.

Ever wonder why the Cowboys and Skins and Giants were able to run on us, especially in the second half of those games?

Washington and Pat Williams came AFTER the really good Bills teams, unfortunately. If we had either guy during the glory years, I believe we would have one or two Lombardis on the shelf right now. Our nose tackle (not DT, but 3 - 4 nose tackle) was Jeff Wright, who weighed in at 274. And that is not a misprint.

Ever wonder why the Cowboys and Skins and Giants were able to run on us, especially in the second half of those games?

Jeff Wright's mullet couldn't save us in those Superbowls.

Indeed. In defense of the Bills' brass back in those days, that defense was built to stop Marino and the pass-happy Dolphins' offense, which it did successfully. Naturally, it had far less success against the bigger, run-oriented NFC East teams that they faced in the Super Bowl. Those Super Bowl losses all hurt, but the object is to build a team capable of winning your division -- something that has been overlooked for the past decade. And when you are building essentially from the ground up, you start with the big men along the DL and OL.

sooooooooo.......this Kennedy visit is going pretty quiet. Did the plane not make it or something? Has anyone heard ANY confirmation that he's even in town? I personally would like the signing if it were to happen.......

Can somebody explain why he would be a better option at NT than Stroud ?

Seems to me that Stroud has as good a chance at transitioning to NT as Kennedy.

I'd be happy if they signed him just to have another NFL caliber DT on the roster, but I just don't see how he fits the need any more that Stroud.

Because Stroud is too small to play NT. That said don't be shocked if Stroud and Kennedy are our DE's in this defense and someone weighing about 350 or so is our NT.

Add to that DIce with Kennedy sliding to NT on passing downs. I think they end up with a one dimensional run stuffer type in the draft, just not sure where yet. Hopefully not Dan Williams at 9, a HUGE reach there, even more than Whitner at 8.

Judging by the lack of information about the visit coming from the Bills, I'd assume that Kennedy is leaving

and won't be returning.

I am not saying that it is good or bad, only that it doesn't look like they will be signing him.

Actually, Wade Smith was the one who got the text message sent out and a front splash on the website about his visit. Cornell Green barely got a mention (aside from Chris Brown's blog) before he signed.

Another hole filled if he signs. Man, I love what Nix and Gailey are doing. At this rate, we can get Troy Smith or Jake Delhomme and the QB problems are solved as well.

As Tim Graham pointed out on his blog, Kennedy probably benefitted from playing beside other outstanding DL in Minnesota, one of which is arguably the best pass rusher in the game.

He's a depth signing, and just because he weighs 320 doesn't mean he's a bonafide NT-he's never played the position in 7 seasons.

So in the other thread (the Buccs FA thread), you complain about how the Bills haven't even looked at guys to increase the depth, but now you whine and complain when they bring someone in for a look-see for depth?