Wasn't Ralph giving the team to his wife?

And she was supposed to be sitting there ready to start negotiating with Jim Kelly and his "people". Right? I seriously am starting to think that I dreamed that whole thing. Can anyone fill me on what happened with that whole deal?

And she was supposed to be sitting there ready to start negotiating with Jim Kelly and his "people". Right? I seriously am starting to think that I dreamed that whole thing. Can anyone fill me on what happened with that whole deal?

Wake up and cut of your 10 foot beard Rip.

A champion for small-market teams, Wilson has declared that the Bills won't remain in his family after he dies. The team Wilson has owned since its conception 50 years ago won't be passed to his wife, Mary, or his two daughters. Too many issues are involved to keep the team in the family, least of all steep inheritance taxes.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/stor...&id=4379510

People on this board made it up. Kelly doesn't have the money. There is going to be a lockout in 2011 and if Ralph dies between now and 2012 that's it for NFL in Buffalo.

He can give it to his wife as a gift or in a trust to avoid estate taxes, but he has to die first. After she sells the team the resulting profits can be distributed to his heirs, that can be in trust also.

What he can do is very different from what he is going to do. The team is on the auction block when he passes, as per his instructions.

People on this board made it up. Kelly doesn't have the money. There is going to be a lockout in 2011 and if Ralph dies between now and 2012 that's it for NFL in Buffalo.

Actually it has been well documented that Kelly would have to have an conglomeration of people to buy the team, which he stands fast that he has all arranged (ie Golisano or Jeremy Jacobs). I highly down Kelly would just come out and say it for the sake of saying it or to make us feel better.

Now that does not guarantee anything, but he should be considered a viable candiadate when Mr. Wilson passes. I would even say more viable than that yo-yo in LA.

I AM GOING TO SAY IT AGAIN...if anyone, from any where on this message board or abroad has ever been to a game in Jacksonville, you would see that "city" has no interest in NFL football. We draw 70,000 a game, they draw less than 50 or a little less....it is literally a JV situation.

STOP IT!!! :wallbash:

Was that code for something??? :wallbash:

No. That was a joke, referring to the story of Rip Van Winkle.

Seriously, the rumors of Ralph's wife taking the team are probably only rumors. Certainly not an announced plan. If true, it does buy some time for a Buffalo contingent to put a deal together.

Inheritance taxes don't apply to spouses

actually, the rumor came from someone who works at 97Rock...it was overheard at Ryan Miller's Catwalk for Charity 2 years ago and Kelly does know someone with plenty of money

Actually it has been well documented that Kelly would have to have an conglomeration of people to buy the team, which he stands fast that he has all arranged (ie Golisano or Jeremy Jacobs). I highly down Kelly would just come out and say it for the sake of saying it or to make us feel better.

Now that does not guarantee anything, but he should be considered a viable candiadate when Mr. Wilson passes. I would even say more viable than that yo-yo in LA.

I AM GOING TO SAY IT AGAIN...if anyone, from any where on this message board or abroad has ever been to a game in Jacksonville, you would see that "city" has no interest in NFL football. We draw 70,000 a game, they draw less than 50 or a little less....it is literally a JV situation.

STOP IT!!! :wallbash:

Agree Jacksonville is the worst city in the NFL. How many fans showed up for Cleveland Browns games before they left for Baltimore? Do you really think fans matter? If you do I am sad for you.

There is no estate tax on the team if his wife gets it...it is called the unlimited marital deduction. The problem comes after she gets it. I believe the asset will receive a stepped up cost basis so the value of the team at the time of death will be where any appreciation would be calculated from....so basically, she could sell it for a billion dollars and only have appreciation on the value of the team at the time of Ralph's passing...not the original 25,000 he paid for the team...pretty sweet deal!

It's happening 1/15/11

I guess I just got confused by two unrelated stories. I remember vividly that Jim Kelly and Thurman Thomas were both talking about how we were all gonna be blown away by some news, and then someone somewhere mentioned the thing about Ralph giving the team to his wife, and then somehow maybe my aging brain decided that the two things were related. Were Jim and Thurman were talking about the Nix hire? Was that what we were all supposed to be creaming our jeans over? Lame.

I remember exactly what you're talking about, it came up after Shanahan's meeting with the Bills. There was a source floating around which claimed the ownership situation in Buffalo was stable and that there was a plan for after Ralph died to keep the team in Buffalo.

I have no links but I remember feeling happy when hearing this, joke was on me I guess.

I guess I just got confused by two unrelated stories. I remember vividly that Jim Kelly and Thurman Thomas were both talking about how we were all gonna be blown away by some news, and then someone somewhere mentioned the thing about Ralph giving the team to his wife, and then somehow maybe my aging brain decided that the two things were related. Were Jim and Thurman were talking about the Nix hire? Was that what we were all supposed to be creaming our jeans over? Lame.

As I recall, Jim and Thurman were talking about something happening on January 15...but nothing ever happened

I remember exactly what you're talking about, it came up after Shanahan's meeting with the Bills. There was a source floating around which claimed the ownership situation in Buffalo was stable and that there was a plan for after Ralph died to keep the team in Buffalo.

I have no links but I remember feeling happy when hearing this, joke was on me I guess.

Thank you!!! !@#$!!! I seriously was starting to doubt my own memory. Now the question is, why do only three of us remember it? What have the rest of you guys been drinking? Seriously, that's !@#$ed up. lol

I don't have a clue what you are talking about. Nothing unusual about that.

Your story about the team being sold to the highest bidder after Ralph's death is unsubstantiated.

Thank you!!! !@#$!!! I seriously was starting to doubt my own memory. Now the question is, why do only three of us remember it? What have the rest of you guys been drinking? Seriously, that's !@#$ed up. lol

As Just Jack said, Ralph is reportedly going to leave the team to his wife after he dies. He hasn't died yet.

Your story about the team being sold to the highest bidder after Ralph's death is unsubstantiated.

As Just Jack said, Ralph is reportedly going to leave the team to his wife after he dies. He hasn't died yet.

NKM, You are a true believer. I'm not. If you haven't figured out what the owner is all about you never will. :beer:

NKM, You are a true believer. I'm not. If you haven't figured out what the owner is all about you never will. :beer:

I believe he'll leave it to his wife. It makes sense, whereas having a fire sale doesn't, if he's all about maximizing the return on his investment.

I believe he'll leave it to his wife. It makes sense, whereas having a fire sale doesn't, if he's all about maximizing the return on his investment.

NKM, What fire sale are you referring to? The team is going to the highest bidder, not the lowest. If you can find me any links that he has made arrangements to leave the team to his wife I would appreciate it. If he was going to leave the team to his wife don't you think he would have already made that announcement and not have to deal with questions regarding the team after he passes?

The next time I see Ralph's wife I'm gonna ask her to play tennis with me, then try to seduce her and make her my mistress. I'll get her drunk with a few Old Fashioned Highballs, then she and I will figure out how we can keep the team when the old man kicks off.

I've seen her in person, and I can say this will truly be taking one for the team.

But this is OUR hill, and these are OUR beans.......

The next time I see Ralph's wife I'm gonna ask her to play tennis with me, then try to seduce her and make her my mistress. I'll get her drunk with a few Old Fashioned Highballs, then she and I will figure out how we can keep the team when the old man kicks off.

I've seen her in person, and I can say this will truly be taking one for the team.

you sir are a hero

NKM, What fire sale are you referring to? The team is going to the highest bidder, not the lowest. If you can find me any links that he has made arrangements to leave the team to his wife I would appreciate it. If he was going to leave the team to his wife don't you think he would have already made that announcement and not have to deal with questions regarding the team after he passes?

He's made no announcements about his succession plan period, John. And the "fire sale" refers to his daughters having to sell the team quickly to cover the estate taxes.

We need more humans like you in this world. Willing to sacrafice for the rest

how far are you willing to go.... you might have to go all the way down.....

but none the less I appreciate your willingness to 'take one for the team"