The Official Canada Olympic Hockey Thread

thebug

Are people really arguing that the US > Canada in terms of hockey?

Not even close. Their olympic team is a lot better. The US stole a preliminary round game... which is great for US hockey fans. Unfortunately, then game was watched by less people than the NFL Pro Bowl. In Canada, the game broke viewing records.

It would be enjoyable if the US can beat Finland, and then Canada/Slovakia,

Could you please back the bolded statement? I heard on the radio that in US alone, close to 60 M watched the game.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Could you please back the bolded statement? I heard on the radio that in US alone, close to 60 M watched the game.

I saw it somewhere else earlier in the week, but a quick search found me this.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/columnist/h...da-hockey_N.htm

•Hockey, P.S.: MSNBC's USA-Canada hockey game drew 4.3% of U.S. TV households.

Ratings, like any stats, are open to interpretation. That 4.3% is MSNBC's third-highest rating ever, behind only its Democratic presidential debate in February 2008 and the analysis show that followed it.

But here's another way of looking at it: MSNBC's hockey rating was 48% below what ESPN drew for the NFL Pro Bowl exhibition game on a Sunday night three weeks ago.

Unfortunately, it's true -- in part because the game was buried on MSNBC instead of the main network.

http://slapshot.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/02/...-s-canada-game/

Second-highest rated hockey game since 1980 ... with 8.22 million viewers, roughly one-third the audience ice dancing drew over on NBC. Pro Bowl drew a 7.9 rating, US-Canada 4.3.

It is unbelievable to me.

All my friends in WNY are glued to these games. Im in Philly and some of my coworkers watch the games closely. There must be parts of the country that is completely oblivious to hockey.

I cant figure out how so many people get more enjoyment out of the Pro Bowl or Ice Dancing than they do the US/Canada game.

All my friends in WNY are glued to these games. Im in Philly and some of my coworkers watch the games closely. There must be parts of the country that is completely oblivious to hockey.

I cant figure out how so many people get more enjoyment out of the Pro Bowl or Ice Dancing than they do the US/Canada game.

Like almost all of it. :thumbsup:

How accurate are the Nielsen ratings. Some people might be watching everything on CTV.CA.

How accurate are the Nielsen ratings. Some people might be watching everything on CTV.CA.

Not sure that's possible from the States unless you fake a Canadian IP address. I know it doesn't work on CBC.

Funny thing is, though, MSNBC actually beat NBC in Buffalo Sunday night, and that doesn't count the people watching it on CFTO.

[/quote- Bob in STL]

I have been outside of the US a lot. I disagree with your comment although it is a common misconception that has some truth to it. I can tell you that French Canadians are not well liked in Paris. They are below Americans on the social scale which I find to be an amusing aspect of the French culture.

Sorry dude but newfoundland and Quebec are gay and things are way different here in southern ontario. I hate quebec and i hope they leave Canada lol and newfy's are like 3 time zones away from where i live and are to far away from america to truly have a valid opinion. As for me i live 5 minutes away from the US (literally since i live in Niagara Falls) and go there quite a bit and its awesome!

[/quote- Bob in STL]

It took Canada 50 years to beat the Russians in Olympic hockey. For decades the Canadians have complained about Russian professionals beating Canadian amatuers. Please recall that two Russian teams toured North America in the 70's and kicked the crap out of most of the NHL teams! Those teams were 98% Canaidians. So much for that great Canadian depth you speak of.

Time for a history lesson of your own :D. When the Russians played the Canadians in the Olympics professional athletes were not allowed to compete. And since 98% of NHL players were Canadian and were "professionals" they were not allowed to compete. Russia on the other hand were communist so no body was allowed to be professional. This means that the Russians played with all their best players while the Canadians played with their amateurs who were not even good enough to make it to the NHL. And it was Canada who defeated the Russians 4 games to 3 in the 72 series. The series where the best Canadian players could actually play!

But I like the US and Americans :devil: just giving insight as to why other countries dont.

Hey I like some of the Quebecer's as much as people from Ontario. As for the Newfy's, I met a few in the Canadian Forces and they were funny. they knwo they are pick on and play the part of the clown.

Back to the history lesson. I am aware that Canada lost to Russia in the Olympics back when it was amatuers versus pros. That was my point. The US managed to win with amatuers in 1980. Where were all the Canadian amatuer stars of the future back then?

I watched Team Canada beat Russia in 1972, I saw Paul Henderson's big goal. They squeaked out a win. The Soviet Red Army toured the NHL and defeated most of the NHL teams that they played.

My point to the original is that Canada has great hockey but they do not have the market cornered on great ice hockey. Half of the NHL today is non-Canadian.

Peace, and good luck in the rest of the tournament.

I watched Team Canada beat Russia in 1972, I saw Paul Henderson's big goal. They squeaked out a win. The Soviet Red Army toured the NHL and defeated most of the NHL teams that they played.

My point to the original is that Canada has great hockey but they do not have the market cornered on great ice hockey. Half of the NHL today is non-Canadian.

Peace, and good luck in the rest of the tournament.

The fact of the matter is the best players in Russia played together for YEARS while the best players in Canada played together for a few weeks in preparation. It would be the equivalent of taking this season's Team Canada and letting them stay together for a decade. They'd be ripping NHL teams a new ass in no time flat.

Canada is the best hockey nation on earth and always has been. The deck has ALWAYS been stacked against them in games against the Russians - until now.

Well, we've got our rematch.

Spoke a bit too soon there...

If Canada takes their foot off the gas on Sunday, they will be going home with the silver medal.

Props to Halak, held his own against the best in the world.

Spoke a bit too soon there...

If Canada takes their foot off the gas on Sunday, they will be going home with the silver medal.

Props to Halak, held his own against the best in the world.

I sure did! I can't believe Demitra missed an open net with 5 seconds left. :devil: OT would have been great.

I sure did! I can't believe Demitra missed an open net with 5 seconds left. :devil: OT would have been great.

Not for me. I had a ****ty day.

A close friend of mine who's not a big hockey fan invited me to his place to watch the game. I decided to go for the second period (20 minute drive) and I get there and he tells me that his cable was cut and I've been pranked. I told him to go !@#$ himself and I left.