USA Swiss

PromoTheRobot

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even with the stream links I posted? It's 1-0 USA with 6 minutes left.

PTR

Yeah using cell for broadband ... too slow for video - ok for email and this forum.

At least I have an upgrade on the flight - sat with the riff raff on the way up but get 1st class on the way back.

I missed the first 2 periods. I caught them saying they scored a goal but were robbed, and that the U.S. only has 8 shots on goal. And sounds like Simon says (ahem) that they're running Miller?

No, they kept Miller clean. But Hiller was waaaayyyy too comfy out there and I wanted to see the US get some people in his kitchen.

Large props to the Swiss; they were overmatched but really came to play.

I missed the first 2 periods. I caught them saying they scored a goal but were robbed, and that the U.S. only has 8 shots on goal. And sounds like Simon says (ahem) that they're running Miller?

No US was not robbed at end of 2nd, puck was sitting on line at 0.00, then went over..right call by the video guys.

Now in the third, was a sequence where it looked like the Swiss scored just inside the post, but ref waived it off..US comes back down and puts the puck in the net, but Kessler was called for interference with the defenseman. The whole time you are thnking so what, Swiss scored and plat will resume from that point. Then stinkin NBC shows 18 views of Kesslers penalty, and all you want to see is if the Swiss scored. They didn't, it was off the post, then you pissed at the penalty. But, the guys went on to say that any hit to the head is a penalty in international play, and as the defenceman's helemt came off, was an auto penalty. Devorski made the call, and he is an NHL ref, so give him some credit.

US showed a lot of character today, a lot went wrong for them but they kept pushing..I like this team, even Drury is growing on me again :D

What exactly is the "controversy" about Drury being selected for Team USA? I have heard it referenced twice now, during the Olympic coverage...Drury seems the ideal pro-Olympian to me..

Drury doesn't put up sexy numbers and there's always been the issue of getting payed big money in New York for what is assumed to be small production.

The big problem is what he did in Buffalo made the expectation beyond what he's known for. Drury is a guy who does all the little things that win hockey games but he's never going to be a numbers guy. The first part of this tournament he was basically the last forward on the bench. Once the games became important and the situational play became critical, Drury's value became VERY apparent.

The average fan is ignorant and doesn't appreciate guys like Backes and Drury because all they do is help you win by making the smart play. EVERY time.

Drury doesn't put up sexy numbers and there's always been the issue of getting payed big money in New York for what is assumed to be small production.

The big problem is what he did in Buffalo made the expectation beyond what he's known for. Drury is a guy who does all the little things that win hockey games but he's never going to be a numbers guy. The first part of this tournament he was basically the last forward on the bench. Once the games became important and the situational play became critical, Drury's value became VERY apparent.

The average fan is ignorant and doesn't appreciate guys like Backes and Drury because all they do is help you win by making the smart play. EVERY time.

Bingo. And that's why my only USA sweater has Drury's name on the back.

Agreed. Drury is the definition of winner. Dude just wins. Wish he could have done it with us, but (sigh)... well, you know.

Still - my favorite story about him came from an SI story a few years ago. In college, after making a penalty shot against Boston College his coach asked him if he was nervous before the shot. He replied, "I never get nervous."

Jim Kelly admitted to puking before every game and I consider him one tough hombre. Chris Drury is a legendary badass, IHMO.

Agreed. Drury is the definition of winner. Dude just wins. Wish he could have done it with us, but (sigh)... well, you know.

I agree to a certain point. The above is true on good teams with adequate/proven leadership. Yet, if that leadership has to fall solely on him... I don't think he likes it and the pressure gets to him.

Same with Danny Briere.

I still contend the pressure was too great in BFLO and the expectations as a "savior" too much.

How are the Rangers doing??

Kinda like some wide receivers when they go from a teams secondary WR to the teams primary WR... Things don't work out so well.

CD has amazing talent... Yet in secondary roles.

I agree to a certain point. The above is true on good teams with adequate/proven leadership. Yet, if that leadership has to fall solely on him... I don't think he likes it and the pressure gets to him.

There isn't a single team in any sport that has one leader. That's friggin' stupid.