Toyota: Democrats 'not industry friendly'

Magox

I do know that on my car at least (05 Prius), an electrical fault could theoretically involve the accelerator, transmission (electronic CVT) and braking system. There is absolutely no earthly reason the emergency brake shouldn't work, though - that, at least, is still mechanical.

But most people that I see on a daily basis don't pay much attention to their driving to begin with. They'd never have the awareness or reaction time to deal with even a minor incident. I have to wonder how many of these "My car suddenly accellerated" or "My brakes didn't work" stories can include "while I was on my cell phone".

The new Mercedes GL 550 that my brother owns has the most complicated transmission I've ever seen. I have absolutely no clue how you would put it in neutral. That's why I drive a manual transmission. Less chance of it breaking down.

The whole driving while talking on the cell phone is another ridiculous problem. I personally talk on the phone while driving but I maintain awareness around me. Other people zone out as if all of a sudden they're on another planet.

The new law here says you have to be using a handsfree device. So tell me, if you're so stupid that you can't drive while holding a phone to your ear and remember that you're driving and have to be careful, WTF is handsfree going to change?

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The new Mercedes GL 550 that my brother owns has the most complicated transmission I've ever seen. I have absolutely no clue how you would put it in neutral. That's why I drive a manual transmission. Less chance of it breaking down.

The whole driving while talking on the cell phone is another ridiculous problem. I personally talk on the phone while driving but I maintain awareness around me. Other people zone out as if all of a sudden they're on another planet.

The new law here says you have to be using a handsfree device. So tell me, if you're so stupid that you can't drive while holding a phone to your ear and remember that you're driving and have to be careful, WTF is handsfree going to change?

I think it's a good law. Texting, email, GPS and music are "phone" functions and large distractions from driving. They ought to restrict shaving, eating and blowjobs while driving too.

I think it's a good law. Texting, email, GPS and music are "phone" functions and large distractions from driving. They ought to restrict shaving, eating and blowjobs while driving too.

I think it's a good law because the average person doesn't seem to have the logic to concentrate on more than one thing at once.

But answer this, driving with a handsfree device or with a phone in your hand. What is the difference. The problem is that people get deep into the conversation and forget that they're driving. That won't change if you're on speakerphone or if the phones glued to your ear.

Sorry son, you are just going too far w/ this crusade.

No, it's not. There is no earthly reason to drag "victims" in front of Congress to describe tearfully how three years ago their Corolla mysteriously accellerated to almost 35mph before they hit the brakes. Which is exactly what I saw on CNN this afternoon.

What possible justification is there for that level of "scrutiny"?

I agree, they shouldn't drag victims in front of Congress. However Toyota should not get a free pass like some people here believe.

I agree, they shouldn't drag victims in front of Congress. However Toyota should not get a free pass like some people here believe.

Who says free pass? This is precisely what i was talking about when I say you don't understand where the criticism comes from. Let me try one more time, the scrutiny from Congress is not proportionate to previous Recalls from U.S automakers. Easy enough?

Free pass? This will cost them dearly financially. I don't think this issue is worth even a moment of time in front of Congress. There are some defects, recalls are being done, the problems are being fixed. Move on.

I think it's a good law because the average person doesn't seem to have the logic to concentrate on more than one thing at once.

But answer this, driving with a handsfree device or with a phone in your hand. What is the difference. The problem is that people get deep into the conversation and forget that they're driving. That won't change if you're on speakerphone or if the phones glued to your ear.

Hands free= eyes on road. Not hands free = eyes on device. At least it solves part of the problem.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...0022302512.html

Make no mistake, the safety and reliability concerns identified in some Toyota automobiles -- although they occur very infrequently -- are serious. It seems to me, however, that the company is doing everything it should as quickly as possible to make things right. This includes not just a full recall but also temporarily halting production in five plants to focus on the problem and repairing recalled vehicles. The company has taken significant steps to improve quality and reliability worldwide, and to increase the transparency of its communications with government officials and customers.

But as two House committees and one in the Senate prepare for hearings on Toyota's safety issues, I worry that there has been a rush to judgment. The way that Congress and the Obama administration respond to this controversy will have real economic consequences.

We cannot lose sight of the company's importance to America's economy -- and should not ignore its continued commitment to doing things the right way. Although Toyota was founded in Japan more than 70 years ago, after five decades of doing business in the United States it is as much an "American" car company as any other.

In Mississippi, the automaker is investing $1.3 billion to build a Prius assembly plant that will provide good jobs to more than 2,000 new Toyota team workers plus some 2,500 supplier jobs. Though the economic downturn has delayed the start of production, Toyota is honoring its financial commitments to the state -- including a promised annual donation of $5 million for the next 10 years to help fund local education programs. That's the kind of company Toyota is.

Across America, Toyota -- together with its 1,500 dealers and 500 suppliers -- has helped create more than 200,000 jobs. It operates major design, research and manufacturing operations in 10 states. Nearly half of the vehicles it sells in the States are built here. And over the past 22 years, 16 million Toyota vehicles have been made in America.

The company's direct investment in the United States exceeds $18 billion, but it's not just American workers who profit. Eighty percent of Toyota vehicles sold in this country over the past 20 years are still on the road.

That's why I hope Congress will resist the temptation to attack Toyota simply to advance the interests of its American competitors. Toyota should not be blamed implicitly for the problems of Detroit's automakers. Moreover, the decision to bail out bankrupt General Motors and Chrysler with $60 billion from U.S. taxpayers has put Washington in an uncomfortable position. I know Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood to be an honorable man, but can these hearings be seen as impartial, focused on enforcing the rules and policing corporate behavior, when the federal government has stakes in two major car companies?

Lawmakers must tread carefully lest they give Chrysler, in which the government has a 10 percent stake, or General Motors, in which the government now owns a majority stake, an unfair advantage.

Washington's primary role should be to work with Toyota to protect consumers and assist in getting problems fixed as quickly as possible. Its other responsibility is to be vigilant in pursuing fairness -- Toyota cannot be unjustly punished or have its business recovery impeded by attempts to gain advantages for companies owned by the government.

America's openness and its reputation for fairness are what have made our economy so attractive to foreign investment -- investment that will surely aid in our recovery. If Congress and the media treat Toyota differently, foreign businesses might think again before investing in Mississippi or any other state. During these hearings, excessive bashing of Toyota is likely to be interpreted as a signal that the United States is turning protectionist during these tough economic times. That would not be good for the American economy, companies located here or their workers.

Read it PBills

Who says free pass? This is precisely what i was talking about when I say you don't understand where the criticism comes from. Let me try one more time, the scrutiny from Congress is not proportionate to previous Recalls from U.S automakers. Easy enough?

Dude I freakin understand your point. Dear lord. I am still saying I have NO PROBLEM with the attention these recalls are getting. None what-so-ever.

I am not nor have I ever questioned their stake in this country. I still do not believe it to be a matter of them attacking for the sake of he US Automakers. I think it more along the lines of exposure in an election year and yes... safety.

No one said they should get a free pass. We're saying there shouldn't be a witch hunt, which I think these congressional investigations are (and which we've already hashed through - we have different definitions of "witch hunt").

But let the NTSB and NHTSA handle it, since it's their job. Hauling ANYONE in front of congress over this is stupid.

Dude I freakin understand your point. Dear lord.

No you don't or you wouldn't of said

Toyota should not get a free pass like some people here believe.
. Did you not read the steps that Toyota is already taking to ensure safety?
This includes not just a full recall but also temporarily halting production in five plants to focus on the problem and repairing recalled vehicles. The company has taken significant steps to improve quality and reliability worldwide, and to increase the transparency of its communications with government officials and customers.

What more do you want them to do? And this was even before the Congressional testimonies. This is self-motivated populist politics, anyone with at least half a brain can see this.+

No you don't or you wouldn't of said . Did you not read the steps that Toyota is already taking to ensure safety?

What more do you want them to do? And this was even before the Congressional testimonies. This is self-motivated populist politics, anyone with at least half a brain can see this.+

I didn't say I wanted anything, I said I understand why they are doing it and I feel as though it's not a witch hunt. Agree to disagree.

This should have came out years ago. I don't know why the way Toyota does business hasn't been exposed.

Why should any "quarter" be given to Toyota... Look how they handled the their sludging engine problems. Obviously, thats not too much a safety issue. Unfortunately, their way of doing business finally effected something that could kill people.

:thumbsup:

Anyway... They are a foreign company... The US doesn't have to be friendly at all... Somebody else will pick up the slack, especially in this industry.

This should have came out years ago. I don't know why the way Toyota does business hasn't been exposed.

Why should any "quarter" be given to Toyota... Look how they handled the their sludging engine problems. Obviously, thats not too much a safety issue. Unfortunately, their way of doing business finally effected something that could kill people.

:thumbsup:

Anyway... They are a foreign company... The US doesn't have to be friendly at all... Somebody else will pick up the slack, especially in this industry.

Were you attacked by a sludge monster when you were a kid??