Toyota: Democrats 'not industry friendly'

Magox

And again, just because they had a hearing doesn't mean anything.

And if it were REALLY a hearing, I would agree with you. But it wasn't - it was a chance for Congress to B word slap Toyota, nothing more. Nobody there was asking questions, they were leading a witch hunt to burn the company down, nothing more.

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't you have some gay muppets to attack? :devil:

And again, just because they had a hearing doesn't mean anything. And because they aren't union jobs? What about the jobs within the supply chain for automakers? Are they all union for GM? No.

Do you make crap up as you go or do you purposely lie? Don't answer I know the response.

Looking at GM's suppliers, here is the union status of the companies:

Vitec - union shop

Piston Group - ?

Dealo Steel - union

Flex-N-Gate - union

The Bing Group - union

Btw that is just the chassis and body suppliers for GM. 4 out of 5 for sure are union shops and the 5th one I am unable to determine.

Looks to me like the supplier are union as well.

If the government would just get out of the car business, this witch hunt wouldn't be much of an issue. But they are too arrogant for that. Its like having NFL refs owning 60% of the Dolphins. Either give up your part of GovMotors or have no say in this. I guess its ok for this adm though...they make up the rules as they see fit.

The all govt's should get out of their auto businesses. Namely Japan. Japan should stop artifically controlling the yen.

That was corrected. One can no longer take a car out of park WITHOUT stepping on the brakes first. That safety feature came out of the Audi fiasco.

And it was Audi's fault for not implementing a feature that hadn't been invented yet.

So they just made it idiot proof.

Build a more idiot-proof mousetrap, and the world will build a bigger idiot - who'll probably drive an SUV ten under in the passing lane while on the cell phone.

It seems to be a witch hunt. Yet, there have been very real problems at Toyota for almost 20 years. Those problems were getting swept under the rug.

It is more like "piling on." Again, there are very real engineeering issues here.

Oh I don't disagree that there seems to be some issues. However, the "piling on" and the witch hunt would have never happened if the US government was into the car business and the admin into proping up unions.

And it was Audi's fault for not implementing a feature that hadn't been invented yet.

No not at all. Something positve came of the Audi thing.

Wasn't the Audi crashes happening at a standstill?

This Toyota thing is legit. Sure people are piling on looking for the deep pocket... That is a given.

I am not sure what the mechanics are on these new vehicles... But they are not cables like the old days. We have electric carts at work and we fequently need new potentiometers that control the accelarator... In matter-of-fact, I just one of those 200 dollar buggers last week.

Toyota may uses potentiometers??:

Potentiometers vs. Hall Effect Senors

"...In general, automotive engineers have to chose between two electronic methods of obtaining the driver’s accelerator pedal input: Hall effect or potentiometer. Hall effect sensors work by amplifying the tiny current created in a wire when a magnetic field passes by, and generally have zero moving parts. Potentiometers on the other hand depend on a sliding contact which varies the resistance over the circuit. Potentiometers are known to fail, Hall sensors are not. However, it is a little more nuanced than that. Hall sensors are extremely reliable binary sensors (on/off), used to do things like tell if the crankshaft is (or is not) at TDC. Also, using the Hall effect to measure continuously variable position requires considerably more complex circuit design. This typically is done with an array of sensors and an amplification circuit contained into one IC.

Regardless of what implementation you choose as an engineer, you have to anticipate device failure, in this case a deviation between the interpreted and actual pedal positions. More circuit or mechanical complexity leads to more failure modes, some of which may not be clear to the engineer. If one of these failure modes is detected (note my emphasis!) then you have to force the engine into either limp mode or full idle. All e-gas vehicles (to my knowledge) include this check, although implementation differ. If you can’t detect the failure OR protect the operator from deviation, your device fails. So you better be able to do this 100% of the time..."

Also, I forgot to paste/highlight this from the article:

"...The devil is in the details though. Hall needs there to be a fairly large magnet in there, and due to the "distances from the pedal to the ECU you need a dedicated amplification circuit at the pedal to prevent noise overcoming the weak signal. I know Toyota has two redundant Hall position sensor sets (the pictures clearly show this). I do know that in both pedals there is only one magnet. I do not know if Toyota chose redundant ICs for the circuitry in the pedal. Basically, you have two redundant circuits reporting the position of the same magnet! Electrically redundant, kinda. I would say not redundant at all as a matter of fact. So the glaring failure mode here is if your magnet becomes entrapped or broken from the pedal assembly. Toyota's pedal design does not account for this type of failure. It is also impossible to tell without destroying a pedal whether they are using independent ICs, and if they are not there is a second unaccounted for failure mode (failure in the amplification circuit).

So there you have it. The VW implementation uses a sensor that will not last forever, but is in all other conceivable (and inconceivable) ways protected from deviations from operator request. The Toyota implementation uses a zero maintenance sensor, but is not mechanically (or even electrically) redundant and does not account for undetected deviations from operator request.

I will leave it to the reader to decide whether it is safe to roll the dice and get into a Toyota. I personally will not get into one of these vehicles again, and recommend all my relatives think twice. Toyota should recall all of their e-gas vehicles and implement Brake Priority, which is a simple ECU flash that should take less than 15 minutes per car."

Do you make crap up as you go or do you purposely lie? Don't answer I know the response.

Looking at GM's suppliers, here is the union status of the companies:

Vitec - union shop

Piston Group - ?

Dealo Steel - union

Flex-N-Gate - union

The Bing Group - union

Btw that is just the chassis and body suppliers for GM. 4 out of 5 for sure are union shops and the 5th one I am unable to determine.

Looks to me like the supplier are union as well.

And all of that proves NOTHING. Oh wait a minute, there were some back room meetings where the UAW and other unions worked with Dems in the HOPES that Toyota would F up so that they could give them a black eye with the public. Of course, screwing over workers who are non-unionized within their districts.

Give me a freakin' break. And please STOP with your conspiracy theories.