Stand in line with me, to punch NBC in the face!

Lv-Bills

NBC is going for ratings as they always do and always should. I would prefer to watch in HD also, but they can't aim for the small percentage of American TV viewers that like hockey, there is a much, much higher percentage that like skating and skiing.

I'm watching in HD on Comcast.

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You realize this is just a preliminary round game, don't you? No medals are on the line tonight, and neither team will be eliminated with a loss.

and your point is what? just because its not a medal game means it cant be a good game or we shouldnt want to watch it

Never said that, dude. I was responding to the hyperbole that this game is, or will be considered, a "classic" when nothing, except for a first round bye, is on the line.

Yes, it is a great game. By all means, please keep watching. I know I will. :unsure:

NBC is going for ratings as they always do and always should. I would prefer to watch in HD also, but they can't aim for the small percentage of American TV viewers that like hockey, there is a much, much higher percentage that like skating and skiing.

NBC doesn't understand ratings very well, because they are by far, the worst network in the ratings.

This is BS. People like the Olympics and the competition it brings. Nobody ever watches skiing outside of the Olympics. But slap a USA on their chest and push em off a hill and people watch. This would have been a perfect, close, drama laden game and the country would be watching in force. Now that it's a great game, most likely all sports fans would be tuned in. They blew it. It would also somewhat promote the league they carry on their network.

People watch the Olympics. If it's compelling, people would be tuned in. Everyone would be watching this right now. Every USA game shouldn't be on the national NBC, but this one should have been a no brainer. This game would be attracting casual fans.

Never said that, dude. I was responding to the hyperbole that this game is, or will be considered, a "classic" when nothing, except for a first round bye, is on the line.

Yes, it is a great game. By all means, please keep watching. I know I will. :unsure:

You've gotta be kidding right? A first round bye? The winner of this game can miss playing Russia in the semi-finals if they win this one. This is huge for a much much easier road to a gold medal game for either of these teams.

Of course, casual fans don't know that because NBC can't convey that to people because they suck. As usual.

that is what you get when liberal's run anything!,,.look at what friggin obama is doing to the country, then you can understand why you get a cluterf----- when the olberman's of the world run anything, its not him, but his way of thinking permeates nbc's!

You can't be that dumb......You must be snorting that Glen Beck,Quitter Palin , koolaide......Non-liberals spent like druken sailors ..... slept around like hound dogs on their wives ask Vitter from Lousiana or ensign from Nevada or worst yet play with little boys like you favorite conservative from Idaho...........................You don't dare try to put this crisis on this President when the past President couldnt keep me safe with the 911 attacks then send my family off to Iraq when the person who planned 911(Bin Laden) was in Afghanastan......under this President we capture or eliminated more taliban then the past President did in 7 years.......I am not even going to get into my 401 k turning into 101k because of the past President..............................You lost your :unsure: mind if you going to try to blame this on President Obama. I seen what Bush did to this country.. too bad you didn't open your mouth when busch was :w00t: the country..............................Sorry for calling you dumb but don't bring your Fox (people thats not from our country that does nothing but lie) commentary on this site try to stick to sports.......Thanks....... Bye the way its a great game ......Go USA

You can't be that dumb......You must be snorting that Glen Beck,Quitter Palin , koolaide......Non-liberals spent like druken sailors ..... slept around like hound dogs on their wives ask Vitter from Lousiana or ensign from Nevada or worst yet play with little boys like you favorite conservative from Idaho...........................You don't dare try to put this crisis on this President when the past President couldnt keep me safe with the 911 attacks then send my family off to Iraq when the person who planned 911(Bin Laden) was in Afghanastan......under this President we capture or eliminated more taliban then the past President did in 7 years.......I am not even going to get into my 401 k turning into 101k because of the past President..............................You lost your :unsure: mind if you going to try to blame this on President Obama. I seen what Bush did to this country.. too bad you didn't open your mouth when busch was :w00t: the country..............................Sorry for calling you dumb but don't bring your Fox (people thats not from our country that does nothing but lie) commentary on this site try to stick to sports.......Thanks....... Bye the way its a great game ......Go USA

A challenger appears!

Sorry for calling you dumb but don't bring your Fox (people thats not from our country that does nothing but lie) commentary on this site try to stick to sports.......Thanks....... Bye the way its a great game ......Go USA

hahaha, awesome

The network plays up the back stories of the individual athletes. For the olympics, sports like figure skating and skiing will be more popular among casual fans because the audience connects with specific athletes like Apolo Anton Ohno or Lindsey Vonn that get heavily advertised. Exotic or unusual sports like luge or curling are also popular. Hockey is readily available for Americans to watch all winter every NHL season and most choose not to watch it even then. This is why hockey has gotten relegated to the less mainstream NBC channels even when team USA is playing (in preliminaries). With olympic hockey not getting the mainstream exposure and the wear on the players, Gary Bettman may decide that the 2014 olympics aren't worth shutting down the NHL for two weeks.

I love hockey and would love a medal run by team USA this olympics. It would do a lot to bring the casual sports fans in America back to hockey and help the NHL regain popularity in the United States. Miller was facing a shooting gallery. This was one of USA hockey's biggest upsets on the anniversary of the miracle on ice. A lot of people missed out on a terrific game tonight due to it not being on NBC.

We've got MSNBC in HD on Time Warner in Northwest Ohio.

My reaction was being a little mad a first that it wasn't on the "main" network, but think about it for a second from a programming standpoint: the game runs close to 3 hrs and would essentially take most of their total primetime coverage. NBC is trying to appeal to the broadest cross-section of people in prime time on the main network for the Olympics. Now, I'm a big hockey fan, and I did get to see the entire game live in HD so I got no beef. My wife was in the other room watching the skiing, ice dancing, etc. Regardless of how you feel about sports, when it's the Olympics, more causal sports fans (and non-sports fans) will watch for the stories, Bode getting gold, ice dancing, and so on. Now, if that's a medal game, then yes, the hockey game should be on NBC in prime time (and I bet the gold medal game will be). And yes, they showed a whole game on NBC in the afternoon...but that's completely different than prime time. Different audiences, different ad rates, etc. Basically, Sunday afternoon is a programming throw-away.

Anyway, just my perspective. In the grand scheme, it makes some sense not having it on NBC main. Regardless, it was a freaking awesome game!

does it really matter what was actually on the line? it was USA vs Canada...since when isnt that enough

and when did a first round bye become nothing?

does it really matter what was actually on the line? it was USA vs Canada...since when isnt that enough

and when did a first round bye become nothing?

It's also amazing that NBC couldn't wait to switch over to the game in the 3rd period. They couldn't help but to slobber all over it when it seemed like a moment they couldn't pass up anymore. Everyone who was anyone was at the hockey game. That includes stars, NBC personnel, Olympic officials, and other athletes. They missed what they could have had to build a sport that is televised on their network. THey also missed a golden chance to build momentum for when the US plays again. Now, people would be drawn in and compelled to watch from here on out.

As it stands now, they still have a large audience they'll have to draw back in somehow if the USA continues to play well. The arena, unless they play Canada again, won't have the atmosphere it had tonight. There was no downside to televising that game tonight. This is the one game I would have penciled in as Must See TV. Unfortunately for NBC, they don't get all that......that's why they are dead last in TV ratings and cable ratings. They never make the right decisions or take the right gambles.

And oh my what this thread has turned in to. I swear to god, I just wanted to punch an NBC exec in the face, not to turn this into a moronic political discussion.

Seriously, doesn't just one person want to punch someone at NBC in the face cuz of this? Just one of you spazzes out there? lol

No, but I would'nt mind punching Olbermann in the face. :unsure:

It's also amazing that NBC couldn't wait to switch over to the game in the 3rd period. They couldn't help but to slobber all over it when it seemed like a moment they couldn't pass up anymore. Everyone who was anyone was at the hockey game. That includes stars, NBC personnel, Olympic officials, and other athletes. They missed what they could have had to build a sport that is televised on their network. THey also missed a golden chance to build momentum for when the US plays again. Now, people would be drawn in and compelled to watch from here on out.

As it stands now, they still have a large audience they'll have to draw back in somehow if the USA continues to play well. The arena, unless they play Canada again, won't have the atmosphere it had tonight. There was no downside to televising that game tonight. This is the one game I would have penciled in as Must See TV. Unfortunately for NBC, they don't get all that......that's why they are dead last in TV ratings and cable ratings. They never make the right decisions or take the right gambles.

But their former slogan still sticks in your head, right? Anyway, I do believe that NBC tried to get its market right for this one; I'm not sure it succeeded. They may have screwed this one up, but (as has been stated over and over above and also on SabreSpace), they pretty much HAD to bet on figure skating.

(And for those crying about HD, I ended up watching it with friends on SD. Game looked fine. The puck was easy to follow. I think USA won, but if it had been in HD, I would be sure.)

You know, I was really enjoying this one dude make an a$$ out of himself, and then everyone also laughing at him, but you ruined it.

You're just too dumb, and think that you need to combat him with your actual political beliefs, which in short revealed to us that you actually think that a political figure needs an ivy league degree to represent you.

:unsure:

that is what you get when liberal's run anything!,,.look at what friggin obama is doing to the country, then you can understand why you get a cluterf----- when the olberman's of the world run anything, its not him, but his way of thinking permeates nbc's!

Ha ha ha ha. Funny stuff. You should also do another two or three paragraphs on how flouride in the water has ruined our morality and how that's what caused hockey to be re-scheduled. Great post.

To me the really irritating thing is to see the female co-anchor - what's her name again? the one with the deep voice and the Dorothy Hamill cut? - talking to the moose each night at the end of the broadcast. I'm sure it's scripted for her, but God, is it stupid. Today she was apologizing to the stuffed moose for the hockey loss and ended up kissing it. I'm sure they're winning over the eight years old and under females market with that crap but jeez it's irritating for the rest of us.

EDIT: It's Mary Carillo. They've got her kissing a freaking stuffed moose head.

wow!.. is this ed schultz?.. either that or you must be a college professor. you know, the type that is insulated from the real world. i have not read such drivel since i read excerpts from bill ayers book, the radical from the 60's who was a usa bred terrorist and an obama acquaintance . people like you are scary.. especially if you actually believe the crap you are espousing.. it is also a shame you cannot make your point without the use of profanity, but not surprising..

The game will set records for viewing in Canada. I doubt many in the US even know it's on MSNBC. I don't get why they couldn't at least put it on Universal HD.

Exactly, did not know it was on MSNBC. Thought they were just doing the norm and skipping to all of the different events.

hey name caller!.. it IS about politics!.. FYI, NBC is the most liberal network on the planet, HENCE, HENCE!, the reason they cannot get the olympic coverage right, get it JACKASS!???, LIBERALS GET EVERYTHING WRONG, MUCHLESS HOW TO COVER SPORTS.. what the f- is olbermann on sunday night football?. he is a clueless liberal, brings his liberal mindset to the table on that coverage..

see this is why borderline retards like ms ubetcha actually could become president some day

You're pretty liberal...

...WITH YOUR APOSTROPHES!

I still can't believe you brought politics into this. :unsure:

to be quite honest, i do not think i really did. i just offered an opinion as to why NBC did not get it concerning the coverage of the hockey game. i drew a comparison between their political idealogy and how it relates to their cluelessness of not "getting it" when it comes to finding the viewers pulse. i guess this site is loaded with left wingers, guess they "taught me a lesson", with the various names they called me.

wow!.. is this ed schultz?.. either that or you must be a college professor. you know, the type that is insulated from the real world. i have not read such drivel since i read excerpts from bill ayers book, the radical from the 60's who was a usa bred terrorist and an obama acquaintance . people like you are scary.. especially if you actually believe the crap you are espousing.. it is also a shame you cannot make your point without the use of profanity, but not surprising..

Hoo boy, still going strong. That challenger needs to come back fiercely if he wants to grab the top spot.

Thank you sir, for you have just shown why our president cannot win no matter what. I applaud you. You are a true American. Liberty, freedom, the flag and the eagle, etc.

Well, the Czech's and Russia of course. While the USA - Canada game gets relegated to MSNBC tonight in non HD. Or, at least it's in non HD on DTV.

Nothing like putting your own country's game on the second tier network in non HD. Here's hoping that NBC, and all of it's suckarse news networks all keep getting your asses kicked in the ratings for years to come.

:unsure::P

OK, I feel a little better now. lol

What a great hockey game. I am an American living in Newfoundland and watched the game in HD on CTV. It was great to see the Americans silence that hateful Canadian crowd. Canadians have a reputation for being extremely nice, but I have lived here for seven years and they absolutely detest America. They have a huge collective inferiority complex when it comes to anything American and hockey is one of the few forums where they have a chance to beat us at something. They are so smug about hockey being "their" game. It was a pleasure to watch the U.S. shut them up. I can't wait to get to work today so I can talk some smack to my Canadian co-workers. All in good fun of course, but they deserve it. I take plenty of heat for being the only American.

Your a !@#$in moron. Obama is NOT ruining America. How the !@#$ can people like you forget that Bush !@#$ed up America and Obama has to deal with all the crap that he left them! :P Your f'n retarded and pathetic. People like you are the reason why a lot of other countries cant stand Americans. Which is sad because most Americans are intelligent and good people.

I'm pretty tired of this kind of comment. I'm pretty sure if you measured the amount of "good" America does in the world vs the amount of "bad" the "good" would far outweigh the "bad". People want to focus on the bad. Try to make America a "bad guy". Fine. Americans are as fine a people in the world as any. America is the finest country in the world. If I am judged as an American by mistakes made by OUR government, then I also want to be judged by things like the millions of dollars and aid given around the world to those less fortunate by the American government (let alone it's private citizens).

And why are Americans fighting with Americans (i.e. on this board). We all have a vote. use it. And take responsability for the good and the bad. A picture of the WHOLE, please.

Oh, and by the way, opinions are encouraged...NOT discouraged.