Brad Butler retiring

DPR4444

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He is a smart kid who graduated from UVa in political science. Every offseason he has takened advantage of the league program sending players to intense business seminars at schools such as Harvard and Penn. I'm sure the constant battering on the field and the accumulating knee injuries has helped motivate him to finding a less brutal occupation.

Well said....

And he can still make 6 figures doing it. Bet he saved up his money wisely, took advantage of the league programs.

He maybe has a job lined up already....good for him.

First 2 picks have to be lineman now.

This is not good news. This really increases my hopes that Schobel is not retiring. The Bills cannot afford any more holes to fill on the roster, especially in starting roles.

I don't think Schobel will retire but I do think that he wants to play closer to Texas and that the Bills don't think he's the best OLB fit. My guess is that he's reunited with Greggo in New Orleans as Charles Grant's replacement.

I don't think Schobel will retire but I do think that he wants to play closer to Texas and that the Bills don't think he's the best OLB fit. My guess is that he's reunited with Greggo in New Orleans as Charles Grant's replacement.

That is interesting speculation. He would be worth at least a second round pick, my guess would be a second and a late rounder. I'm not saying I want to trade him because I don't. I'm only guessing on what he would be worth in a trade.

I think we are in alright shape as far as the offensive line goes.

Yeah, we are pretty solid and deep. Maybe we can even trade Bell for a first round pick and focus on the secondary. Teams all over the league are searching for LTs that are big, strong and intelligent.

Bell meets this criteria. He is a huge mauler, and he rarely gets penalized. :wallbash:

That is interesting speculation. He would be worth at least a second round pick, my guess would be a second and a late rounder. I'm not saying I want to trade him because I don't I'm only guessing on what he would be worth in a trade.

I think we'd get something along the lines of what NE gave up for Derrick Burgess- a 3rd and a 4th.

Sounds like his true love is politics anyway, but is just another blow to the worst line in the NFL. Kinda increases the odds of them drafting an OT instead of a QB, but at least he didn't pull a Favre and wait until the last minute. At least he gave them enough notice before the draft. Could be he thought he had a better chance of winning whatever he goes into outside of the NFL than he does with the Bills.

I wish him well. He made the transition to Tackle very well. I personally believe that the Bills offensive line issues started when he went down.

You and me, both, kota.

I swear to you I just had a bad feeling not only when he went down, but when we found out he was lost for the season. Honestly, it was a, "well, that's it" moment.

Heres is how we fix the holes via draft:

Rd1 OT - Campbell, Davis or Bulaga

Rd2 NT - Cam Thomas 6'-4" 331, 5.14 -40

Rd3 3-4 OSLB - Sergio Kindle or Eric Norwwod

Rd4 OT - Rodger Seiffold - Ind - 6'-5" 5.13 -40

Rd 5 RB - Ben Tate - Auburn - Great back.

Now I know what about QB, next year get the kid out of Washington Jack Locker -cold weather strong arm.

Heres is how we fix the holes via draft:

Rd1 OT - Campbell, Davis or Bulaga

Rd2 NT - Cam Thomas 6'-4" 331, 5.14 -40

Rd3 3-4 OSLB - Sergio Kindle or Eric Norwwod

Rd4 OT - Rodger Seiffold - Ind - 6'-5" 5.13 -40

Rd 5 RB - Ben Tate - Auburn - Great back.

Now I know what about QB, next year get the kid out of Washington Jack Locker -cold weather strong arm.

This looks like a great draft, but if McClain is there I am thinking that they really should snatch him right up.

If they just gave Peters some of his money two years ago, we'd have a left tackle, for most likely cheaper than we are going to draft, still have walker at right tackle and the interior mostly set. He's retired after making 4.5 mil over the last two years. He's content (and I'm not blaming him, given his injury history and outside pursuits) But really, the Bills should have resigned Peters for 8 mil a year when they had a chance, and the whole line would be still, with Butlers retirement, be in a lot better shape.

The Bills gave Peters a hefty contract raise prior to the 2006 season. Redoing contracts every 2 years isn't a good business model.

That was the big one. Ideally, Walker should have stayed at RT, Butler should have been the backup swingman, and McKinney cut.

Because the moves were all related to the salaries, it all falls back to Overdorf.

IMHO it was less about salary than attitude. The reasons given for not paying Peters what he wanted was his poor effort in 2008. And Walker, as I mentioned, was considered a "locker room lawyer," and I assume a bad influence on other players. I don't know if that bad influence would have been worse than cutting him and seeing the O-line go through what it did last year.

So Butler signed an $8.8M, three year contract extension for 2010-2012 and won't play any of it.

That $8.8M included a $3.8M signing bonus. Does he get to keep it?

The Bills can go after 3/5 of his signing bonus ($2.28M), which represents the unamortized portion, because he's choosing to retire and isn't getting cut or traded. Or Butler can freely return it.