Evan Bayh to retire?

Magox

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another Dem that sees the writing on the wall.

Definitely a body blow to the Obama administration. He's shown his dissatisfaction with the direction of the W.H's agenda, I've got to believe that this weighed in on his decision.

Another Dem that sees the writing on the wall.

I don't know that he is doing this because he thinks he can't get re-elected. According to this article at MSNBC, "Bayh's exit gives Republicans a prime pick-up opportunity. Former Indiana Sen. Dan Coats ® is running for the seat. Bayh was leading Coats by 20 points (55% to 35%) in a recent Research 2000/DailyKos poll."

But after two terms, Bayh gets a pension for life, so that's something.

Yup, we're screwed when the political scene in washington swings completely back to the right.

No more screwed than we are know, with the left controlling Congress and the White House.

Personally, I prefer divided control. It keeps the idiots focused on each other and away from trying to "fix" things. I'd rather see a Democratic Congress and Republican White House, if I had a choice....but vice-versa, almost as good.

No more screwed than we are know, with the left controlling Congress and the White House.

Personally, I prefer divided control. It keeps the idiots focused on each other and away from trying to "fix" things. I'd rather see a Democratic Congress and Republican White House, if I had a choice....but vice-versa, almost as good.

Divided control or not. The way they fight nothing will get done.

Yes. Let's have a government that does nothing. :bag:

You think Bayh liked toeing the lackey line for Harry Reid?

I think he believed the leadership of his party was hijacked by ideologues - the policies of whom the majority of his constituency don't agree with. He figured there was a better way to make a living than carrying water for the far left. He made his political career as a centrist and isn't comfortable wearing lizard skin.

Yes. Let's have a government that does nothing. :rolleyes:

Your preferred party can't get elected on a platform of self sufficiency. What would happen if our government just leveled the playing field for everyone? Make everyone play by the same rules, cut unproductive agencies and a flat tax rate?

You think Bayh liked toeing the lackey line for Harry Reid?

I think he believed the leadership of his party was hijacked by ideologues the radical left - the policies of whom the majority of his constituency don't agree with. He figured there was a better way to make a living than carrying water for the far left. He made his political career as a centrist and isn't comfortable wearing lizard skin.

Fixed it. It's the modern day version of, "I didn't leave the democratic party, the democratic party left me." Yes, I know he didn't technically leave them, but he is leaving them in just as great of a sense.

http://www.journalgazette.net/article/2010.../302049933/1066

But, he said, “my question to you, Mr. President, is (in) speaking to independents, conservative Democrats, moderate Republicans – people who know we have to do this – why should the Democratic Party be trusted? And are we willing to make some of the tough decisions to actually head this country in a better direction?”

It's a shame, he was one of the few democratic party members of congress that I liked and who would have been willing to participate in bipartisanship work in DC.

Your preferred party can't get elected on a platform of self sufficiency. What would happen if our government just leveled the playing field for everyone? Make everyone play by the same rules, cut unproductive agencies and a flat tax rate?

I'm all for everyone being on a level playing field. I just think that it will ever happen.