Olympics 2010

josh_564

Women's half pipe was pretty disappointing, though the U.S. ended up with Silver and Bronze. Overall, it was a very sloppy competition - pretty much the opposite of the men's.

What I watched was the event held in the afternoon. One side of the pipe, in the shade, was fast. The sunny side slooowed the boarders alot.

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Exactly. The USSR had what? Like 11 now countries to tap from? Kinda like breaking up the US' states into individual countries.

But they are all still there, just broken into different countries. That alone shouldn't have much impact on the US medal count other than in a few team sports like hockey.

A bigger factor is new sports that inherently favor rich countries. I doubt any half-pipers in Russia have their own training facility paid for by a sponsor. Then add in PC sports like women's hockey (only 2 competitive teams on the planet), and that is why the US is racking up the medals.

But they are all still there, just broken into different countries. That alone shouldn't have much impact on the US medal count other than in a few team sports like hockey.

A bigger factor is new sports that inherently favor rich countries. I doubt any half-pipers in Russia have their own training facility paid for by a sponsor. Then add in PC sports like women's hockey (only 2 competitive teams on the planet), and that is why the US is racking up the medals.

Good points. That is the thing about the WINTER games. Just look at Julia Mancuso... Even know her daddy spent some time in the joint (pun intended :unsure: )... Still nice to be bankrolled for these elitist sports. Again, I know hockey is Canada's game... Still takes a ton of dough too. Especially at first.

Good points. That is the thing about the WINTER games. Just look at Julia Mancuso... Even know her daddy spent some time in the joint (pun intended :unsure: )... Still nice to be bankrolled for these elitist sports. Again, I know hockey is Canada's game... Still takes a ton of dough too. Especially at first.

Here you go.... the real medal count.

I love this...take out all the crap sports that require judges (although I don't get a couple on that list. Why would ski jumping need a judge, isn't it just who went the furthest?)

I love this...take out all the crap sports that require judges (although I don't get a couple on that list. Why would ski jumping need a judge, isn't it just who went the furthest?)

I wondered that to, so I looked....

How Ski Jumping is Scored

Isn't ski jumping all about distance? Well, yes and no. Ski jumping is measured in distance, but it's not scored in distance. Distances are converted to points by a mathematical formula. Judges award points for technique ... it's where the term "style points" comes from, but "style" is really a misleading term. It's not meant to convey "flash" or "fashion" ... but perfection of technique.

There's more at the link above.

I wondered that to, so I looked....

How Ski Jumping is Scored

Isn't ski jumping all about distance? Well, yes and no. Ski jumping is measured in distance, but it's not scored in distance. Distances are converted to points by a mathematical formula. Judges award points for technique ... it's where the term "style points" comes from, but "style" is really a misleading term. It's not meant to convey "flash" or "fashion" ... but perfection of technique.

There's more at the link above.

And rightly so... Just imagine if it wasn't judged... People would be crashing to get farther... Like sliding in baseball.

Here you go.... the real medal count.

So what's the point trying to be made by that article? That there is an American bias when it comes to judged sports? :unsure::w00t:

Please. Every country trains for the sport and the rules as they are. It's amazing that Americans can win a Gold in any sport judged by the French, Chinese, Russians, etc...

How lame. I am almost positive that it didn't used to be that way. Good technique = longer flight = more distance means so there should be no need to judge.

So what's the point trying to be made by that article?

I think the point was that 'judged' sports suck in comparison to those where athletes are measured against opponents by objective measures. I happen to agree. I'd rather watch the downhill, bobsled or hockey than half-pipe or figure skating.

As for who benefits from bias, I'm sure it varies by sport.

I think the point was that 'judged' sports suck in comparison to those where athletes are measured against opponents by objective measures. I happen to agree. I'd rather watch the downhill, bobsled or hockey than half-pipe or figure skating.

Can you imagine if something like hockey had judges?