Does the Gailey hire mean big moves?

billsfan89

Ok its no secret that the Bills often make marketing moves during their off-seasons. Well Without a big name or a hot coach we can cross that off as a marketing move. Gailey (A hire I hate but thats another topic) isn't going to get many people buying season tickets. And coming off a 6-10 season they need to sell some tickets.

So what is the big move they are going to make in order to get the fan base energized? Is it going to be a big free agent signing like Richard Seymour or a big trade like McNabb? I don't see a QB in the draft that can really inspire the fan base. Nor do I see a player in this draft at pick 9 that will motivate the masses.

Honestly I don't see one big move the front office will make but rather a decent amount of mid level moves to try and improve the team overall as the selling point. I can see signing guys like Ben Watson, Chris Chambers, Kerry Collins, Jarvis Green, Larry Foote, Jason Ferguson, and add in a solid smart draft to just overall raise the talent level of the team and have the whole be greater then the sum of their parts.

Ok its no secret that the Bills often make marketing moves during their off-seasons. Well Without a big name or a hot coach we can cross that off as a marketing move. Gailey (A hire I hate but thats another topic) isn't going to get many people buying season tickets. And coming off a 6-10 season they need to sell some tickets.

So what is the big move they are going to make in order to get the fan base energized? Is it going to be a big free agent signing like Richard Seymour or a big trade like McNabb? I don't see a QB in the draft that can really inspire the fan base. Nor do I see a player in this draft at pick 9 that will motivate the masses.

Honestly I don't see one big move the front office will make but rather a decent amount of mid level moves to try and improve the team overall as the selling point. I can see signing guys like Ben Watson, Chris Chambers, Kerry Collins, Jarvis Green, Larry Foote, Jason Ferguson, and add in a solid smart draft to just overall raise the talent level of the team and have the whole be greater then the sum of their parts.

Bills fans are smart. They just need to make a few solid FA moves and another strong draft. Play on the field will sell tickets.

I recall last season, in the wake of another playoff-less season, many on this board anticipated big spending in UFA. The end result was a backup QB, low priced C, depth (who is good) CB, and a name WR on a one year deal.

The Bills are committed to making few commitments. And given the potential lockout in 2011 and more players being RFA's, I can't see them spending big money. If anything, they'll shed payroll in 2010, especially when Schobel retires, and Whitner and McCargo are released. No salary cap means no salary floor.

Failure on the football field does not mean appeasing fans with free agent dollars at OBD. If anything, they'll talk up the draft and making more Hangartner type signings. That, and more hype to sell tickets.

I don't see a QB in the draft that can really inspire the fan base. Nor do I see a player in this draft at pick 9 that will motivate the masses.

Um, are you forgetting about Tebow? We can argue his football skill until we're blue if the face, but I could definitely see them selecting Tebow and promoting the hell out of him... and Bills fans eating it up.

Logically I would think they would want to make a splash with player personnel given the current state of the team, but I think they wanted to do that with the coach and we all know how that turned out. Bills may have lost what little mojo they had around the league. Money may not be enough anymore. The final chance to push ticket sales may have to come in the one area where the player has little say in coming here...the draft.

Um, are you forgetting about Tebow? We can argue his football skill until we're blue if the face, but I could definitely see them selecting Tebow and promoting the hell out of him... and Bills fans eating it up.

I don't see him selling that big in Buffalo. Jacksonville or Miami or TB or Atlata maybe. But not here. I wouldn't be excited. Unless he started winning games of course.

Just win baby!! That's all Gailey and his staff have to do. I have faith that him and Buddy have a solid plan for the free agency market and for the draft. I'm getting excited for the draft and the combined! Lets go!!!!

Well I am in agreement with most who have responded that there will be no one big move but rather that it will be a series of smart moves and good choices sold on putting on a winning product. My question was simply directed in a general sense of could there be a marquee name thrown into the prudent moves.

I would think they could pursue a Richard Seymour but the odds of landing a big name are just very slim.

As several media outlets have said, the Bills like to make one somewhat major move each off season to appease the fanbase, and the hiring of this coaching staff did anything but that. I expect (hope) they make at least one big move (McNabb, Vick, etc.) to improve this team. It might take awhile though, until they see the decline again in season ticket sales then they will feel forced to make a move, although it may be ill advised like the T.O. signing last year.

As several media outlets have said, the Bills like to make one somewhat major move each off season to appease the fanbase, and the hiring of this coaching staff did anything but that. I expect (hope) they make at least one big move (McNabb, Vick, etc.) to improve this team. It might take awhile though, until they see the decline again in season ticket sales then they will feel forced to make a move, although it may be ill advised like the T.O. signing last year.

Those media outlets are full of it. We sign T.O. and suddenly it's a trend? Please list every big splash signing from the last 15 years. There's Owens and Bledsoe, then...uh....

PTR

"TOUCHDOWN" Tim Tebow... I can see it now!

And Mr. Tim Anderson's Lunch Pail... might I ask... whoooooooo are you... who who... who who?

Eating it up? I'd be puking it up..

Play on the field will sell tickets.

Waiting for play on the field is too late. They want season ticket sales.

That being said, at least half of the season ticket holders will renew their tickets no matter what anyway.

Most of the others are desperately looking for an excuse ... any excuse ... to renew theirs.

A whole new coaching staff and GM is probably enough for most of them. Irregardless of who the new people are. I do not think they need a TO type signing this off season to get good season ticket sales.