What Chan and Buddy Are Doing Right Now

yungmack

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're putting a lot of faith in people who had to assemble a coaching staff and came up with Chan Gailey, George Edwards, and Curtis Modkins! :cry:

I got an awesome idea. I'm going to join a message board of my favorite team and spend all my free time whining about how bad they are. Awesome.

Gailey was recommend by Cowher, hired by Jerry Jones who said it was a mistake to fired him, and nearly hired by Pioli. He all ready said he was calling plays so the OC is a kinda of moot point, though we did hired a guy from a team that went to a Super Bowl last year. And Bill Parcells and Urban Meyer thought enough of Edwards to hire him.

But BLZFAN4LIFE doesn't like the hires because they aren't in his Madden game. You're awesome. ;)

I got an awesome idea. I'm going to join a message board of my favorite team and spend all my free time whining about how bad they are. Awesome.

Gailey was recommend by Cowher, hired by Jerry Jones who said it was a mistake to fired him, and nearly hired by Pioli. He all ready said he was calling plays so the OC is a kinda of moot point, though we did hired a guy from a team that went to a Super Bowl last year. And Bill Parcells and Urban Meyer thought enough of Edwards to hire him.

But BLZFAN4LIFE doesn't like the hires because they aren't in his Madden game. You're awesome. ;)

+1

I'm pretty certain that's my first "+1"

The unbelievable negativity of some of the pissers and moaners around here is stifling at times.

Oh well, you know what they say - opinions are like a-holes... everyone's got one.

I'm glad my self esteem doesn't hinge on how well my favorite sports team does every day.

Don't need to be famous, but needs to be SOMEWHAT competent. Where were these guys? There's a reason why most of us have never heard of 'em. So, until they show me something, I'll choose to believe that the coaching choices are FAIL.

No one had heard of Marv either when they picked him to be there coach back in '87. He was terrible if i remeber. Man the Bills of the 90's sucked.....

+1

The unbelievable negativity of some of the pissers and moaners around here is stifling at times.

Oh well, you know what they say - opinions are like a-holes... everyone's got one.

I'm glad my self esteem doesn't hinge on how well my favorite sports team does every day.

+2<<<----A first for me as well. All these :pissere and moaners" will be right next to all of us opening day cheering and rooting for this team, I wish they would just face that fact already.

One last thing if i dont have an opinion does that mean I dont have..... ;)

Here's my summary of the discussions going on around here about the future of the Bills: Our QBs suck, our O-line sucks, Whitner sucks, our team sucks, we've got holes everywhere. So we have to bring in McNabb/Thigpen/Orton etc., get rid of Lynch/Evans/Schobel etc., draft Bradford/Clausen/Lefevour etc., get a LT, get a big, fat nose tackle, get better receivers, etc. AND pick the halftime act for the next Super Bowl. Whew!

The thing is, the only judgments that matter are the ones that will come out of One Bills Drive. And I for one trust Buddy and Chan and their advisers more than I do myself. So what I think is going on right now is that those people are looking at every available piece of footage on everyone on the roster, talking with people who might have insight into these players, and coming to a determination about every one of them. In that process, they may decide that none of the QBs we have (or Evans, Whitner, Lynch, etc.) are up to their standards. Or maybe they'll decide that Brohm or McKelvin or Bell have tremendous upsides. I don't know what their final decisions will be. But I'm willing to trust them more than I've been willing to trust any FO types in at least a decade.

I tend to agree with you but if none of us played armchair GM this board would be empty.

+1

Sorry for raining on your Chan Gailey parade. Check back with me in 3-4 years. :beer:

What Chan and Buddy Are Doing Right Now

Well, it's 9:30 on a wednesday, I'm thinking they're at OBD working.

When Chan was on 1280 with John in Rochester, he said the next thing on the agenda was getting the rest of the coaching staff together. That is pretty much done now. Next, Chan said the entire staff was going to evaluate the talent. I would guess that down on OBD that is exactly what they are doing right now, seeing where they are now with what they have now.

But BLZFAN4LIFE doesn't like the hires because they aren't in his Madden game. You're awesome. :worthy:

Look, ultimately everyone's going to give them a chance--you know this to be true. But you and a several others are missing the point of those who have some significant reservations about this staff.

Eveyone, immediately after the season eneded, was expecting not just a housecleaning, but a restocking of the staff with significant replacements. Instead we got Gailey, Modkins and Edwards.

Peolple are free to believe anything they want in order to be more comfortable with their interpretation of reality. Examples: Gailey was "almost hired" by Pioli, when in fact he was fired by Pioli. Modkins, our new OC, is an acceptable choice because he was employed by a SB team (as a RB coach for a horrible running team)--AND because he won't be calling the plays anyway (there's some powerful logic)! That job will fall to the HC, who was relieved of those very duties by his last HC despite working "miracles" with Tyler Thigpen the season prior. Our defensive coordinator was not Urban Myers, but he was once hired by him.

In fact, in 1 year alone, our OC has gone from Turk Schonert (bad), to Alex van Pelt (awful), to .......Curtis Modkins, with no playcalling duties at all!

The problem with these posts is that they seem to be written in some sort of historical vacuum---as though Gregg Williams, Mularkey, and Dick Jauron never happened, never existed in Buffalo. Every one of those disasters was greeted with "sure they're not big names, but let's just give them a chance."

Sorry, but your conclusion that those who are a bit more.....skeptical than you and yours about this suspect crew are a bunch of whiners or are upset simply because these coaches aren't on "madden" is dicsonnected with reality. But, that's fine if it works for you.

Look, ultimately everyone's going to give them a chance--you know this to be true. But you and a several others are missing the point of those who have some significant reservations about this staff.

Eveyone, immediately after the season eneded, was expecting not just a housecleaning, but a restocking of the staff with significant replacements. Instead we got Gailey, Modkins and Edwards.

Peolple are free to believe anything they want in order to be more comfortable with their interpretation of reality. Examples: Gailey was "almost hired" by Pioli, when in fact he was fired by Pioli. Modkins, our new OC, is an acceptable choice because he was employed by a SB team (as a RB coach for a horrible running team)--AND because he won't be calling the plays anyway (there's some powerful logic)! That job will fall to the HC, who was relieved of those very duties by his last HC despite working "miracles" with Tyler Thigpen the season prior. Our defensive coordinator was not Urban Myers, but he was once hired by him.

In fact, in 1 year alone, our OC has gone from Turk Schonert (bad), to Alex van Pelt (awful), to .......Curtis Modkins, with no playcalling duties at all!

The problem with these posts is that they seem to be written in some sort of historical vacuum---as though Gregg Williams, Mularkey, and Dick Jauron never happened, never existed in Buffalo. Every one of those disasters was greeted with "sure they're not big names, but let's just give them a chance."

Sorry, but your conclusion that those who are a bit more.....skeptical than you and yours about this suspect crew are a bunch of whiners or are upset simply because these coaches aren't on "madden" is dicsonnected with reality. But, that's fine if it works for you.

Fair enough. But a lot of people whine for the sake of whining. It gets so tired. Seriously if I thought the Bills were as bad as some people, I woun't waste my free time crying about it. And you realize Modkins isn't the playcaller right?

Sorry, I hate whiners and hate people who whine about something before anything even happens. I'd rather enjoy the offseason and have high hopes and get disappointed in the season than whine all offseason. But that's just me.

Disagree. What's in a name? Sometimes not very much. I'm more interested in solid football professionals and I am sure that there are a number of such individuals operating below the radar screen of public awareness, even relatively informed public awareness. You really have to be close to the game to know who they are, "close" in the sense of working in college and pro football ranks on a daily basis, which even the most avid and knowledgeable fans of course do not. Chan Gailey said his hires would not be headliners, but would be good coaches. We can't know for sure, but he and Buddy Nix probably know better than we do. Some of them by the way come with very respectable credentials, such as the S&C coaches, as does the Asst GM. As for the OC, it was always clear that the offence would be Chan Gailey's brainchild. That is his specialty after all. Probably worth mentioning however that Modkins stint with the Cards cannot be graded as a fail. Looks to me like they finally started to find a running game under him.

With respect to Gailey himself, since so much turns on this hire, no one has ever credibly questioned his acumen on the offensive side of the ball, and the Bills are in dire need of improvement there. Doesn"t surprise me that "philosophical differences" with Todd Haley led to his KC departure. Not unusual for the loser of the top job competition to leave the organization. We see it in all walks of life every day. And who is Todd Haley anyway. Maybe Scott Pioli wishes he had gone with his gut and stuck with Chan.

Look, only time will tell how all of this will play out, because only time can tell. Call me a crdulous fool if you like but my strong sense of it is that all of the important appointments, beginning with the GM, are very sound football decisions (especially when compared with what we have had to endure in recent years). My gut tells me that in the years to come we will see significant improvements on both sides of the ball to the point where we may eventually again be competitive even in a very tough division.