Retired Numbers for $2000, Alex

SouthernMan

Last night, for $2000 in the Double Jeopardy round.....

The answer:

"The only number retired by this team is Jim Kelly's # 12"

followed by dumbfounded silence from the three contestants. Not one of them rang in or even took a guess.

I swear I'd kick ass if I ever got on that show. I'm real weak in the Mythology category and don't know squat about any current TV shows or movies. Other than that, I think I'd do alright.

My wife suggests I try out, but my problem is I don't have any amusing anecdotes to share during the first round break that don't involve getting messed up or getting into a fight. "So Alex, back in '79, I was real fked up at Mulligans one night, and took some mushrooms and went down to the Continental, got into a dustup with some fool with Boy George makeup and a ring through his nose, etc etc" Or I could tell about the thousand times I shoveled my parents driveway, 5 minutes before the Amherst town snowplow shoved most of the street's snow back into the end of the drive.

Great story there.

At least I know who Jim Kelly played for.

I was disappointed when none of the contestants knew the answer. Granted, the 2 girls were from Minnesota and Dartmouth and the guy was from Alabama.

If it would have been a question about the Tide or Auburn he would have rang in in .000001 seconds

This could be fun in a sad kind of way. Do we now guess the category? Was it "Far from the Top?"

The category was "Retired Numbers" - the clue was the player(s) name(s), and the contestant had to identify the team.

In their defense, these weren't regular contestants, but college kids. (It's 'College Championship Week' on Jeopardy, so these kids are a bit young - and disinterested - to know anything about Bills' history, plus 2 were girls - one from Dartmouth and one from Minnesota. I thought maybe the guy from 'bama might have rung in, but no.)

Fifty years in the business and we have a single player's jersey retired.

Not good.

There are probably a few reasons for this.

One, there are limited numbers available and there are a lot of players vying for those numbers in football, so that might skew things a little.

Two, IIRC, Thurman's,Bruce's and OJ's numbers haven't been worn and possibly Kalsu's too, though they aren't officially retired.

Three, the Bills really have sucked for a good portion of those years and they really haven't had many players stand out head over heels other than those mentioned in point two.

LOL are you serious? There was a Buffalo Bills question on Jeopardy???

They should come out with a Bills trivia game like scene it or trivial pursuit

Actually, I've noticed that the Bills come up on a somewhat regular basis on Jeopardy. Seen questions on Jim Kelly and Marv Levy before. They may have a writer who's a Bills fan working on their staff.

Recenly mentioned here was the Frank Reich characterization and Bills mug in last SNL episode. Another connection? King of Queens and NYPD Blue occasionally "placed" mugs and other stuff in camera frame, showing the Bills logo. Nick Bakay was with K of Q. Don't know about NYPD Blue, seem to remember that producer Steven Bochco had some Buffalo connection. His previous show, Hill Street Blues, often had Buffalo streets like "Scajaquada" mentioned.

The answer is: No jobs, bad politicians, no progress, and 1970's music and haircuts.......

What is: "Why did everyone under 60 years old move away from Buffalo?, Alex"

Last night, for $2000 in the Double Jeopardy round.....

The answer:

"The only number retired by this team is Jim Kelly's # 12"

followed by dumbfounded silence from the three contestants. Not one of them rang in or even took a guess.

I swear I'd kick ass if I ever got on that show. I'm real weak in the Mythology category and don't know squat about any current TV shows or movies. Other than that, I think I'd do alright.

My wife suggests I try out, but my problem is I don't have any amusing anecdotes to share during the first round break that don't involve getting messed up or getting into a fight. "So Alex, back in '79, I was real fked up at Mulligans one night, and took some mushrooms and went down to the Continental, got into a dustup with some fool with Boy George makeup and a ring through his nose, etc etc" Or I could tell about the thousand times I shoveled my parents driveway, 5 minutes before the Amherst town snowplow shoved most of the street's snow back into the end of the drive.

Great story there.

At least I know who Jim Kelly played for.

I have watched Jeopardy for about 25 years now, they don't ask alot of Buffalo Bills questions, so don't spend your winnings just yet.

Number 11 seems to be a favorite of some who miss the mark as time goes by.

In Norwood's case, wide right,

Rob Johnson... eh,

Roscoe Parrish, a punt returner who used to advance the ball upfield.

Any other great #11 players?

Fifty years in the business and we have a single player's jersey retired.

Not good.

Three teams that have never officially retired numbers: Steelers, Cowboys, and Raiders.

I wish the Bills hadn't retired #12. Just don't give it out- much like not giving out 78, 34, or (gulp) 32.