Football Outsiders on Schobel--1 of the 2 or 3 best DEs in 2009

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Schobel plays the run better than he gets credit for. If he retires, it's going to be an adventure replacing him because Maybin needs another year to fill out and get stronger.

He's about as savvy a DE as there is in the NFL and Chan Gailey needs to get to work if he hasn't already on keeping his best player.

If he retires we are in big trouble.

Schobel plays the run better than he gets credit for. If he retires, it's going to be an adventure replacing him because Maybin needs another year to fill out and get stronger.

He's about as savvy a DE as there is in the NFL and Chan Gailey needs to get to work if he hasn't already on keeping his best player.

You said it. And "adventure" is surely a euphemism. Clusterf**k seems more appropriate.

What's hogwash is a fan judging an offensive or defensive lineman's performance from the perspective television broadcasts give you, and saying that the only games in which he performs adequately are those that result in at least three sacks.

I was merely saying that he has 1 great game a season that balloons his stats to the same level as players actually on the elite leve, when he himself is one tier down from elite. Hench the term outlier

Saying Schobel is a top 3 DE in the NFL is hogwash. Top 25-32 yes he is. There are games he dominates, and games he is non-existent. He has too few of the former and too many of the latter to be considered elite.

O yea, am I am a season ticket holder, so half the time I dont watch him on tv.

I was merely saying that he has 1 great game a season that balloons his stats to the same level as players actually on the elite leve, when he himself is one tier down from elite. Hench the term outlier

Saying Schobel is a top 3 DE in the NFL is hogwash. Top 25-32 yes he is. There are games he dominates, and games he is non-existent. He has too few of the former and too many of the latter to be considered elite.

Care to explain what 24 other DEs supposedly "better" than Schobel dominate 16 games per year?

Most of the "elite" DEs rack up big sack numbers in just a couple of games.

Could anyone truly say they believe any other DE in the league would be more effective on our roster as an overall player? Schobel is one of the leagues best and most underappreciated DE's in the current game. He is a classic Buffalo player. He reminds me of Phil Hansen. Hansen never got the fame that Smith did, but he could perform on every play, with consistency, and had a work-man like attitude; something many of us can appreciate.

He is more Jim Jeffcoat than Phil Hansen. If he were reserved for pass rushing situations only, he would have been even more productive. He is an above average player, and unfortunately, many people don't appreciate that.

Saying Schobel is a top 3 DE in the NFL is hogwash. Top 25-32 yes he is.

Schobel had 10 sacks on a team that opponents barely have to throw against, and he is decent against the run. Not only that, his dolt coaches (Jauron and Fewell) had him covering receivers at times in this idiotic defense.

With all due respect, I strongly disagree. He is one Buffalo Bill who truly earns his paycheck, and I think he is easily a top 10 defensive end.

Then we should get a 1st round pick in trade for him, no?

PTR

No- you get a first round pick for a hall of fame type player. If he can help us move up to get Okung or Bulaga, I am all for it. He will be retired by the time we can evolve into a playoff-type team anyways, so he can't really help us much

Schobel had 10 sacks on a team that opponents barely have to throw against, and he is decent against the run. Not only that, his dolt coaches (Jauron and Fewell) had him covering receivers at times in this idiotic defense.

With all due respect, I strongly disagree. He is one Buffalo Bill who truly earns his paycheck, and I think he is easily a top 10 defensive end.

you bet :wallbash:

I will never understand the lack of respect for Schobel.

I am glad someone from the outside has given Schoebal some credit .....Now we might have a chance to get something in a Trade for this 8 million terrible against the run want to be defensive end......................8 million ....lets get a player or draft pick and save some money....................

Schobel is a better then average DE he gets sacks, but he is not a game changer and very often does not make big plays in Big Moments he gets a lot of Garbage Sacks always Has

Big moments? What big moments have the Bills had over the past decade that he missed out on?

For better or worse, Aaron is gone. He has sold his house.

Schobel has been rightly criticized as not being very good against the run. The bills had asked him to have his weight at around 254, whereas he preferred 270.

You do realize 7.5 of Jared Allen's 14.5 sacks are from two games, both against Green Bay, right?

How about Elvis Dumervil's 4 sack game against Browns? James Harrison's 3 sack game against Lions? Robert Mathis's 2.5 sack game against Seahawks? Banta-Cain's 3 sack game against us? Andre Carter's 2.5 sack game against Panthers? Brian Orakpo's 4 sack game against Raiders? I guess they all suck because of outlier.

Career Stats more

Season Team Tackles Interceptions Fumbles

G GS Comb Total Ast Sck SFTY PDef Int Yds Avg Lng TDs FF

2009 Buffalo Bills 16 16 56 34 22 10.0 0 4 1 26 26.0 26T 1 3

2008 Buffalo Bills 5 5 19 18 1 1.0 -- 1 -- -- 0.0 -- -- 0

2007 Buffalo Bills 16 16 57 45 12 6.5 -- 5 -- -- 0.0 -- -- 5

2006 Buffalo Bills 16 16 53 35 18 14.0 -- 3 -- -- 0.0 -- -- 3

2005 Buffalo Bills 16 16 71 54 17 12.0 -- 4 1 0 0.0 0 0 2

2004 Buffalo Bills 16 16 73 45 28 8.0 -- 3 -- -- 0.0 -- -- 5

2003 Buffalo Bills 16 16 60 37 23 11.5 -- 2 1 6 6.0 6 0 1

2002 Buffalo Bills 16 16 52 34 18 8.5 -- 2 -- -- 0.0 -- -- 0

2001 Buffalo Bills 16 11 42 31 11 6.5 -- 2 -- -- 0.0 -- -- 0

TOTAL 483 333 150 78.0 0 26 3 32 -- 26 1 19

sorry it looks funny.

1st colum is games played

2nd colum is games started

NUMBERS IN BOLD ARE HIS SACKS.

Career Stats more

Season Team Tackles Interceptions Fumbles

G GS Comb Total Ast Sck SFTY PDef Int Yds Avg Lng TDs FF

2009 Buffalo Bills 16 16 56 34 22 10.0 0 4 1 26 26.0 26T 1 3

2008 Buffalo Bills 5 5 19 18 1 1.0 -- 1 -- -- 0.0 -- -- 0

2007 Buffalo Bills 16 16 57 45 12 6.5 -- 5 -- -- 0.0 -- -- 5

2006 Buffalo Bills 16 16 53 35 18 14.0 -- 3 -- -- 0.0 -- -- 3

2005 Buffalo Bills 16 16 71 54 17 12.0 -- 4 1 0 0.0 0 0 2

2004 Buffalo Bills 16 16 73 45 28 8.0 -- 3 -- -- 0.0 -- -- 5

2003 Buffalo Bills 16 16 60 37 23 11.5 -- 2 1 6 6.0 6 0 1

2002 Buffalo Bills 16 16 52 34 18 8.5 -- 2 -- -- 0.0 -- -- 0

2001 Buffalo Bills 16 11 42 31 11 6.5 -- 2 -- -- 0.0 -- -- 0

TOTAL 483 333 150 78.0 0 26 3 32 -- 26 1 19

sorry it looks funny.

1st colum is games played

2nd colum is games started

NUMBERS IN BOLD ARE HIS SACKS.

2007 HE STARTED ALL 16 GAMES AND ONLY 6.5 SACKS????

2008 HE STARTED 5 GAMES AND ONLY 1 SACK.

in 2009 he redeemed himself, but i thought he had lost it

You do realize 7.5 of Jared Allen's 14.5 sacks are from two games, both against Green Bay, right?

How about Elvis Dumervil's 4 sack game against Browns? James Harrison's 3 sack game against Lions? Robert Mathis's 2.5 sack game against Seahawks? Banta-Cain's 3 sack game against us? Andre Carter's 2.5 sack game against Panthers? Brian Orakpo's 4 sack game against Raiders? I guess they all suck because of outlier.

Aside from one player (Allen), my point exactly. Dumervil is not elite, he has been a good rusher, but this was his first big time year as far as his career is concerned. Last season was that same - break out once in a career - type season for Harrison. Mathis is not even the top pass rusher on his team. Banta-Cain has started 25 games in his 7 year career, Andre Carter has gotten to double digit sack 3 times in his 9 year career. Orakpo is a rookie. Aside from Allen, none of the players you mentioned have proven to be elite over the years. Some havent even been full time starters throughout their careers. Sure Harrison had a huge year last year, but that was once. Schobel has had that year too (2006), which he followed up with a hugely disappointing season.

As far as Allen goes, in 2008 his highest sack game was 2.5, in a year he had 14.5. Same with 2007, when he had 15.5. So sure, he had one season when it was lopsided, but his other season thats not true.

Elite players are always dominating. Teams always game plan for them. As the season went on, I saw more and more teams double teaming K.Willaims, and not Schobel. Thats not what happens to the leagues top 1-3 DE. I never said he sucked, I said saying he is better than Allen/Freeney/Peppers/M.Willaims/Ware even the Will Smiths/Merrimans/Suggs - guys who produce vrs constant double teams and come through in clutch situations - is hogwash.