Toyota Suspends Sales

how hard is it to put the car into neutral and then pull over onto the side of the road? seriously...

that said, even though Tacomas aren't on the list, I am a little bummed that I picked one up in late December rather than right now as I could've probably got an even better deal...

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because an American car has never had a recall.

You're right. But this recall is the 6th largest in the history of the US.

Toyota can spin all they want that the suspension of sales was voluntary (It wasn't), but the suspension of production

indicates a much more serious problem than Toyota is willing to admit.

You don't stop producing 8 car lines because of "faulty" floor mats.

Because an American car has never had a recall.

Don't get me wrong... No doubt that is the case.

It is just funny to see the media/Consumer Reports darling and golden-child Toyota (along with other Jap rides) not be able to sweep things under the rug like they would in the past. No doubt they are were trying hard to do that still. Sure they slayed the American makers... But I bet they wish the domestic whipping boys were a little bigger to take the usual heat away from the Jap makers.

I see you play right into their PR machine. :worthy:

how hard is it to put the car into neutral and then pull over onto the side of the road? seriously...

that said, even though Tacomas aren't on the list, I am a little bummed that I picked one up in late December rather than right now as I could've probably got an even better deal...

Now, I am not sure... I think I read somewhere (as I hinted in previous posts) that there were issues with doing that... Again, I am not sure... But something with the fancy onboard stuff and the gear shifters?? I wil look more into this.

Now, I am not sure... I think I read somewhere (as I hinted in previous posts) that there were issues with doing that... Again, I am not sure... But something with the fancy onboard stuff and the gear shifters?? I wil look more into this.
Take it for what it is worth, but a couple of the local reports have said to do such if uncontrolled acceleration occurs.

That's what I've seen too. One ABC World News report said that some people are not used to shifting into neutral and to go find an empty parking lot to try it. Not going to bother finding the video online since it was only a 5 second blurb in a 5 minute report.

Take it for what it is worth, but a couple of the local reports have said to do such if uncontrolled acceleration occurs.

That's what to do. The possibility of lunching the engine exists, though.

As we all should know, turning off the ignition can cause the steering wheel to lock - not good of one is moving, obviously. :worthy:

In the old days, once stopped on the side of the road, you could jam something in the air cleaner snorkel - or more drastically, haul back with the tire iron and shatter the distributor cap.

Black box could determine if fatal Auburn crash involving Toyota Camry was caused by stuck gas pedal

...In December, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration investigators looked into the accident at police request. As is the case with many newer models, Kraushaar’s vehicle contained an event data recorder, a device similar to a black box carried on aircraft, that recorded information about the car before the crash. ... Only Toyota has the equipment to download information from the recorder, Butler said. Police are waiting for NHTSA investigators to meet with Toyota representatives to download the information, he said. ...

Place your bets for if any problem will be found.

Black box could determine if fatal Auburn crash involving Toyota Camry was caused by stuck gas pedal

...In December, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration investigators looked into the accident at police request. As is the case with many newer models, Kraushaar’s vehicle contained an event data recorder, a device similar to a black box carried on aircraft, that recorded information about the car before the crash. ... Only Toyota has the equipment to download information from the recorder, Butler said. Police are waiting for NHTSA investigators to meet with Toyota representatives to download the information, he said. ...

Place your bets for if any problem will be found.

That's a sticking point.

There's been a long battle...the companies invest huge sums in their proprietary software, and independent shops want to access it to earn repair money from customers.

Also, I read somewhere that insurance co. lawyers want to access the information, to see if the owner was speeding, and use that as a basis for claim denial.

It's fun to throw Toyota under the bus for this...except Ford (the only major US car company worth a ****) used the same supplier and has had to halt production of some of its vehicles too.

I heard that this moring as well. Didn't hear that is was the same supplier however. This should get interesting.

I heard that this moring as well. Didn't hear that is was the same supplier however. This should get interesting.

From the NY Times.

In addition, the Ford Motor Company said Thursday that it had stopped production of some commercial vehicles in China because they use the same accelerator pedals built by the same company that was behind Toyota’s recent recall.

Not as widespread though. Nice that Toyota is going to such great measures when fewer than 12 instances were reported and no one was hurt. That is a company dedicated to quality--and a response in stark contrast to Ford's problems with the "bucking" Bronco and Explorer.