Gailey approved to cut Trent Edwards or Ryan Fitzpatrick IF NEEDED

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He turned on the city?? Oookay? That didn't happen

Sure he did, every time JP would clean up a piece of litter, Edwards would drive by & throw two pieces of litter there to take it's place-as long as he didn't have to throw the litter more than 10 yards.

I think Edwards as gone, not because he wouldn't make an acceptable backup but because he's mentally spent in Buffalo. He's turned on the city, the fans have turned on him. It's time for him to go.

Agree and Fitz is a reasonable backup. Plays Hard and tough. With right offensive scheme a good solid backup. Trent hasnt shown he can do that look at how bad he was for last series he played in.

It would be really something to see Chan work some magic with either Edwards or Fitz. My opinion is that Edwards has a higher upside than Fitz. Edwards has lost confidence in himself, but the pourous O-line greatly contributed to that.

Exactly why do you see Edwards as having higher upside?

And the OL excuse; this is just stomach turning. They both played with the same line!

Fitz: 5-4

Edwards: 1-5

There's all you need to know to make a decision.

+1 - Edwards is hopeless

I do think Fitz should be kept though, at least through training camp to compete. I think Gailey could work with him.

I'm not sure why you think T.E. is a complete bust and Fitz can be "worked with". The only difference between these 2 is about 3 more attempts down field per game. What did that accomplish? About 3 more balls that TO could watch get intercepted by the defender. Either they both suck,IMO, or they are both not that bad and can be worked with. People on this board who split hairs about which one of our mediocre qbs is better, are missing the point. We need a line with some cohesion that will be able to play more then 2 games together as a unit. ANd we need a QB that has played in big games (sorry Stanford and Harvard you didn't make the cut.) Draft someone from a winning program and beef up the line and maybe we will be able to talk about the battle at TE or SS instead of this mind numbing QB controversy we have EVERY year.

Exactly why do you see Edwards as having higher upside?

And the OL excuse; this is just stomach turning. They both played with the same line!

Fitz: 5-4

Edwards: 1-5

There's all you need to know to make a decision.

If you watched the games, you'd notice that they won in spite of Fitzpatrick's poor play. He's wildly inaccurate and makes poor decisions with the football. The Bills won those games by averaging 4 interceptions forced a game in "Fitz' wins". Edwards played better the first half of the 2008 season than Fitz has ever played in his entire career. Again, I hope we'll have better options by the start of next season, but that's why there's reason to believe Edwards has higher upside than Fitzpatrick.

State of the Bills Roster: Quarterback

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2010/1/21/...oster#storyjump

Fitzpatrick has proven of late that he can win games for you, while Edwards has proven of late that he cannot. Fitzpatrick is 8-4 in the last 12 games in which he's seen significant snaps. Edwards is 3-11 in the last 14 games in which he's seen significant snaps. Advantage: Fitzpatrick, particularly when considering his contract status.

i think Edwards is done.

Two things, first off it is well past time for this franchise to find a Franchise QB even if he is a top talent and we develop him. Enough of passing off scrubs as our starter.

Secondly, if Smithers wants to really bring back the fan base and Gailey/ Nix want to get the fans hyped, then go QB with the 9th pick. Yeah there will be some idiots bitching and moaning, but QB needs to be the pick for more reasons than one with this draft.

Yeah, but you gotta think about it, Sig. Why would the conversation of the freedom to make his choices even come up if it wasn't relevant one way or another to the Bills plans. In other words, I'm thinking there's a good chance that Gailey will be cutting at least one of the 2 top guys.

They talk about every single scenario behind closed doors, and even within earshot of the press. Its up to the press to feed us what they think we want to hear, is controversial, or will otherwise sell newspapers. No doubt they talked about Gailey having the freedom to pick up a new long snapper if that is what he wanted to do (since he is the head coach). Yet, we aren't discussing that.

I have no doubt that he will cut either Edwards or Fitz. But, do we need someone to tell us that he has the freedom to do this?

I'm not sure why you think T.E. is a complete bust and Fitz can be "worked with". The only difference between these 2 is about 3 more attempts down field per game. What did that accomplish? About 3 more balls that TO could watch get intercepted by the defender. Either they both suck,IMO, or they are both not that bad and can be worked with. People on this board who split hairs about which one of our mediocre qbs is better, are missing the point. We need a line with some cohesion that will be able to play more then 2 games together as a unit. ANd we need a QB that has played in big games (sorry Stanford and Harvard you didn't make the cut.) Draft someone from a winning program and beef up the line and maybe we will be able to talk about the battle at TE or SS instead of this mind numbing QB controversy we have EVERY year.

Simple, Fitzpatrick has his head in the game, making plays and not playing scared. He is worthy of an NFL roster spot.

And...Edwards is not. He's a deer in headlights who can't make decisions, much less quick decisions.

Personally, I don't see a QB in the draft that's going to be appreciably better than Fitz and Brohm. Who are you going to pick up from a "winning program"? Tebow? He's a fullback in the NFL. McCoy? Not an NFL arm.

I don't see it. Sure, picks will be spent fixing the lines, but I don't see getting a franchise QB in this draft. The only franchise QB I can see coming here is if we trade for McNabb. I certianly hope we do, but you have to admit the chances are small.

Speaking of Cali boys, is Clausen any different?

I hope Gailey takes Jim Kelly's advice. You need to evaluate a QB that can play in Buffalo in our crappy weather conditions. It was clear that TE couldn't. Who knows, if they think Clausen can perform under harsh conditions then I see them taking him in RD 1. Half (-1) of the games are home, so we need someone that can play in Buffalo, before thinking about how they'd perform elsewhere.

This is good news for Gailey. It allows him to evaluate his roster first hand, as opposed to cutting players based on past production. Given the quality of coaching that TE has had in Buffalo, coupled with the extraordinary carousel of an OL...it

makes sense to give the coach that chance.

It does the bills no good to throw the baby out with the wash. Might as well give a REAL coach a chance to find out if he can do anything with TE.

Funny... JP was in this very same situation. But Fassel found a way to win with him........ I'm just saying.

I suppose if JP was back in college he could probably win too. The differences between the 4 team, less than practice team quality players, 6 game season league that JP "won" in, and the NFL are night and day. JP had his chance. He hung onto the ball too long, and rarely checked down. He's not a good QB. Period. Now on to Trent Edwards. He only throws underneath the coverage, can't throw a great long ball, mis-reads defenses and misses the hot receiver, and has no fire in his belly. He's not a good QB either. Now Fitzpatrick looked ok, and with more time to throw I think he would be better. Keep him and Brohm, bring in a free agent and draft a QB somewhere in the draft. Forget about JP and TE. they're yesterdays news.

If you watched the games, you'd notice that they won in spite of Fitzpatrick's poor play. He's wildly inaccurate and makes poor decisions with the football. The Bills won those games by averaging 4 interceptions forced a game in "Fitz' wins". Edwards played better the first half of the 2008 season than Fitz has ever played in his entire career. Again, I hope we'll have better options by the start of next season, but that's why there's reason to believe Edwards has higher upside than Fitzpatrick.

Since you took the time to pore over the stats to figure out how all the wins in '09 were due to opposing INT's, I thought I'd point out a few stats, too.

1st, you seem to be impressed with the first half of '08. You do realize that the 4-0 start was against teams that wound up a combined 16-48, don't you? And that Trent threw a whopping 1 TD per game in those wins, right? And that he threw more than 1 TD in a game only once the whole '08 season? Actually, his three best games the whole season were after the opening winning streak (and, for those who want to bring this up, AFTER the concussion).

I could also pick and choose stats to defend Fitz (like how his numbers are skewed from 2 relief outings when he wasn't getting 1st team practice reps, and how they are REALLY skewed from having 1/5th of his attempts against the best pass defense in the league), but that isn't really what my point was about. My main issue is with the tendency of Edwards supporters here to blame all of Trent's woes on the O-line (and Adrian Wilson, which I already debunked), but ignoring that Fitz was playing and more often than not winning under the same (if not worse) conditions.

Adding to this is you saying Fitz makes poor decisions; on this issue, I have to wonder whether you watched the games. Edwards makes one decision, over and over....dump it off. You are NEVER going to win throwing 2 yard passes on 3rd and 8 (although you do save your QB rating). Fitz, on the other hand, gives his WRs a chance. His decision making is so much better than TE's that there isn't even a choice between these two.